Tall windscreen collisions...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Tall windscreen collisions...

Post by homie »

I always wondered what goes on in an unfortunate deceleration from a seated position when these after market windscreens are installed. Is that help or hindrance?
Robert R
Regular User
Regular User
Year: S-wing 2014
Color: White

Re: Tall windscreen collisions...

Post by Robert R »

Is it possible that the screen may provide some non fatal resistance to the riders forward motion before breaking away prior to rider hitting something less forgiving like the rear of a truck. Just thinking out loud. Fortunately have not put it to any test. . . . . . . . . yet! :roll:
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have. We have tall Givi windshields on our two 2013 PCX 150s. When we had our accident in September both windshields shattered at their base, leaving some sharp edges where they attach to the bike, but otherwise they broke cleanly below the dash cover area. Mine was nearly all together while my wife's windshield fractured into multiple parts. If you stop suddenly from 45 mph, it is a safe bet that your helmet will hit that windshield.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by Embattle »

What happen to Mel is what I would expect to happen in general.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Someone posted in the Forza 125 FB forum that their tall w/s broke in two part way up when they toppled due to high winds. Are any of these tall windscreens shatterproof?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

iceman wrote: Are any of these tall windscreens shatterproof?
Well they should be, and I wouldn't want anything other than a clean break at the base on impact o_O
The only reason I bring this up was a new member mounting rigid metal above the bars for accessories that looked to me to be dangerous in an off over the front. I wouldn't want to survive a minor head on collision only to look down and see the family jewels sheered off. The broken windscreen thing was an after thought but I would sure like to see a crash dummy video before I go big screen.
Attachments
castration device.JPG
castration device.JPG (195.22 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Embattle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Post by Embattle »

That isn't something I would ever consider doing.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I gus that rider figures that he will never have an accident. I don't know what that thing is suppose to hold but bending a piece of plastic would have been safer. There are also Ram Mounts that would do the job just as well. I know they were trying to save money, but safety was not at the top of their list.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

iceman wrote:... Are any of these tall windscreens shatterproof?
If the windscreen is made of polycarbonate (familiar brand name of "Lexan") and is thick enough, then you have the greatest chance of surviving an impact with your windscreen intact.

If, on the other hand, the windscreen is made of acrylic (aka "Plexiglass"), then it won't take too much impact energy to break it. Of course, it won't shatter the way glass does (which is a huge benefit in an accident), but it doesn't have nearly the impact resistance of polycarbonate. The other factors in material selection (such as being optically correct) aren't as important in this application, in my opinion; safety should be paramount. Acrylic is usually much less expensive to buy than polycarbonate, & most consumers don't know the difference in materials, so some manufacturers will choose this path.

All of the anecdotal information I've read about Givi windscreens (such as Mel's) leads me to believe their windscreens are made of acrylic. I'd go with either a Nat'l Cycles or Honda OEM tall windscreen as a replacement before I'd buy Givi. But that's just me. ;)