Tail Light Assembly & Fix

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Tail Light Assembly & Fix

Post by WhiteNoise »

Has anyone considered this tail light kit or tried it? (by a Florida seller)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-PCX-125-1 ... e8&vxp=mtr

I just noticed today that my brake light is Not working (bulb???) :roll: Hmmm, not good

EDITED by WN 4/5/20: the above item is no longer available using the link I posted. If you're still interested, try googling "PCX Led Fender Eliminator turnsignal bar Kit"
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Tail Light Assembly & Fix

Post by mad trapper »

Does that even include the taillight or just the led turn signals?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Oh wow, that looks cool. I haven't seen that one before, I'd order it if I didn't have my Ermax undertray.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here's another link to the same kit (Florida based again, hmm... :roll: same seller?) but cost is more here: http://www.sportbikelites.com/SearchRes ... =Honda+PCX
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

dont forget a that price you will alomost certainly be clobbered by customs!!!
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

This is pretty cool too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hczr82wjZI (I do not know what he's saying, but I get the jist of it watching). This guy's a great demonstrator & note how careful he is. I wonder if this would be legal to use in the U.S.?

Well today I bought a new tail/brake light bulb at Pep Boys (one clear Philips 12V 21/5W). The tail light was working but not my brake light, so .....Wish me luck getting the Grab Rail cover off, "in one piece" :?
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Pour hot water over it first. It makes the plastic less brittle. Make sure you put some grease or something on the lugs etc. when you're refitting it ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

edscoot wrote:Pour hot water over it first. It makes the plastic less brittle. Make sure you put some grease or something on the lugs etc. when you're refitting it ;)

Not sure I'd pour hot water over your paint work.

Its only held on by push clips. Just get the best purchase possible and pop them off
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Okay, thanks for the tips guys. Good news....I got the Grab Rail Cover off today in less than 2 mins and changed out the tail light/brake bulb in seconds :D Easy really.
Bad news....the brake light still doesn't work :| and.......
further investigation led me to finding a loose cable, located just under the rear (left) brake handle. This cable was barely inside of its female counterpart...huh? Now I'm miffed and trying to put one inside the other to make a connection. With a push, it's Not wanting to seat itself inside the obvious opening I see nearby. Heck, I'm not really positive that this is the REAL culprit for my non-functioning Brake Light anyway :roll:
I took a picture and also checked online for a better view of the rear brake handle area.
Now I'm pulling me hairs out and needing some Help from ya'll! It will be Truly appreciated :) I'm so in a dither as to which part this is in the diagram, Is it 14?? In my photo I am holding the loose end. Nearby is the open port (bad choice of word sorry) that has a pin looking thing inside of it. Did the cable break apart from inside this port? Dang it...and the weather is so spot on now! Please.............................
HELP! :o
Attachments
Image.gif
Image.gif (23.76 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
9.15.12 PCX Rear Brake Light Switch Wire disconnected (location rear brake handle).jpg
9.15.12 PCX Rear Brake Light Switch Wire disconnected (location rear brake handle).jpg (36.62 KiB) Viewed 3340 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sir Dave, Daddy of maddie...would it be possible to drop the word Ebay in the thread title? I'm drifting away and have tales of woe now that need fixin' :cry: "Tail Light/Brake Assembly," Is that Better?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Looks like it is part 14.
It should just pop back in to the hole underneath the brake cable.
It looks to me that the pin should go inside the coil spring?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Strange looking thing for a connector

I'd try pushing it back into the port. Failing that I'd take the switch apart to re-connect

Aren't you under warranty?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Very happy ro read your Fast replies!! Needed that, Thank yas :)
Yep, I think it's #14 too, and Yes qed, it Is a strange looking (flimsy) connector made of plastic with a "pen type" spring built inside of it that's held in by 2 thin metal(ish) spring clips :| Arg!
So today I gave it another "calmer" aligned push into it's other half. No go. It just won't seat/fit all the way in. Frustrated again!
Decided to look up from bended knee at this area, and I spotted a very small hole (tunnel like) underneath the "port" that this loose cable goes into. Remember I mentioned that there was a "pin" looking thingy inside this port? Well, that pin is wobbly (not aligned) inside of it. That's what makes me wonder If the cable wire broke inside making it hard to push the connector into it. Picture it?.....The pin is Not going inside the receiving spring, as you made reference to gn2.
Back to being on me knees where I spotted this dark small tunnel hole. I'm now thinking I can stick an open paperclip up into that hole to get the pin straight (in alignment)...hmmm, I proceed to give it a go,...whoops! I drop the mini flashlight, & I can't properly reach the connector above to push it in. Not to mention that I'm damn near cross-eyed focusing on the wee hole to get the wobbly thingy inside it straight :x I quit!
I will return again tomorrow with some assistance.
Has anyone had this brake light issue? If I connect the two, will I have light (brakelight) again?
What a beautiful weekend I missed. I enjoy riding Sunday's the best.
Warranty? It's a bit confusing to me now. I did purchase the extended in Florida, but now I'm in NY. Have to read the small print. Always a catch :roll:
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

That's definitely #14 on the diagram -- it's the button that activates the brake light (and therefore the root of your problem). You might have to take your brake lever off to get it back in properly.

I'm 100% sure they would fix that under warranty, take it to your dealer. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks Dave for your input. I'm not familiar with the shop here yet so I'd like to give it a try myself. Besides if all I have to do is remove a few screws/nuts with No surprises, I'm good with that. Ah...but there lies my question. What exactly will I be undoing to get in there to reconnect (if it's possible) this brake wire/cable? The brake handle and ? Maybe only two screws/nuts? I set today to do the job and then got pulled away :x
It's getting chilly here already...damn! Whadda-espect? I'm from the Sunshine State :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Crap! I'm still fighting this brake light switch Fix! Darn thing won't stay locked into it's home base! :x Spent two hours at it last night. Going out east today to Honda cycle store to look at a PCX on the floor....maybe I'm missing a part? The diagram page I posted earlier does Not show the "pieces" that make-up our brake light switches. It's Not detailed enough. They are small plastic intricate fussy bits! Arg!! If anyone has a Better detailed diagram of this brake light switch area, Please Please share it with me :cry:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Crap! I'm still fighting this brake light switch Fix! Darn thing won't stay locked into it's home base! :x Spent two hours at it last night. Going out east today to Honda cycle store to look at a PCX on the floor....maybe I'm missing a part? The diagram page I posted earlier does Not show the "pieces" that make-up our brake light switches. It's Not detailed enough. They are small plastic intricate fussy bits! Arg!! If anyone has a Better detailed diagram of this brake light switch area, Please Please share it with me :cry:
I spent less time than that putting a water pump on one of my cars this morning. With man flu too
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good on you qed! Big parts easier to handle. Now try your brake light switch bits at the lever. Pull all those itsy-bitsy bitsy fussy bits apart (all) and resemble (with extra patience on standby (o;
Honda didn't have a PCX on the floor (just sold a black) so no luck in taking a peep at problem area. Wanted to see if I was missing something by looking at theirs. Oh well. I ordered the switch for under $11.00 should have it in 4 days. :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Good on you qed! Big parts easier to handle. Now try your brake light switch bits at the lever. Pull all those itsy-bitsy bitsy fussy bits apart (all) and resemble (with extra patience on standby (o;
Honda didn't have a PCX on the floor (just sold a black) so no luck in taking a peep at problem area. Wanted to see if I was missing something by looking at theirs. Oh well. I ordered the switch for under $11.00 should have it in 4 days. :)

Oh no. Don't fancy that. I've got fingers like Cumberland thick links (sausages)

Gets me out of tying the bin bags too

We could have taken pictures of the switch if you had asked
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

shite! why didn't I think'a'that? Sure...yes, please do so! Big smile now!!