Thats all folks!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Thats all folks!

Post by j.d.b. »

Just a note to bid you all farewell. I had a bad collision last Thursday. A young woman in a minivan waiting to make a left turn suddenly accelerated and put her van crosswise to me as my front wheel entered the intersection. I had maybe ten feet to slow from about 40mph with no where to go. I wound up slamming my face into the side her van square-on. The motion of her van flipped the bike to my right as it impacted the van, flipping me right into the side of the van.
I haven't seen the bike yet, but as I lay in the street, I saw a lot of red plastic scattered around. My helmet did it's job. I'll never forget that view or the feeling as my head hit the vehicle, It sounded like a door slamming. I lost consciousness for maybe fifteen seconds after i bounced off and landed on my back in the street. I have neck damage and a lot of soreness and swelling around the old body. No broken bones and no broken teeth. The EMT's were fast and professional as were the Trauma center medical staff when they received me. A fine plastic surgeon made sense of what was left of my lower lip and chin. I just got home this evening.
Be very careful out there. Many piss-poor drivers on the roads.
Goodnight and farewell, riders,
Josh
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Re: Thats all folks!

Post by alx123 »

Sad to hear news like this. Get well soon buddy.

Lower lip and chin damage? the impact might be so strong that your full face helmet was broken.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

And that's plenty my friend. You had a good ride and sometimes we get warnings in life. Take it for what it is, move on and count your blessings. No body is going to encourage you to get back out there after a crash like that. Probably the only thing that saved your life was the fact that you ride a scooter and not a street bike. A few miles per hour faster and no helmet would have saved you. That exact same scenario took place two blocks from my house on a street bike, but no survivor :( Rest up, get well, collect your money and get back in the cage. Put a bumper sticker that reads 'look twice, save a life, motorcycles are everywhere'
Attachments
mac&chief3.jpg
mac&chief3.jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Sorry to hear it J. I'm praying for your speedy recovery.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

Thanks for sharing. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Josh - I'm happy to read your feedback here as it means that you're on the way to recovery. I know that the scars are fading away sooner or later.
I wish a speedy full recovery and who knows we might see each other on this or an another forum.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Open or full face helmet?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Hope she has good insurance.. if there is a positive note... from now on you will be driving in style if so!..Good luck with all the repairs.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Well Thank God You're alright and able to tell us the story!

Holy Cow that could've been a lot worse at a 40mph impact. Geez. Intersections are the hot spot for sure. All of us have to be on top of our game the Whole Ride. More vehicles on the roads and a good number of those driving them left their minds at the office, or cooking, or at school, etc. Cell phones and gadgets to distract are No help either! Just too much friggin' stuff going on behind the wheel these days. Driving should not be in "that mix!"

I'm so sorry you got hurt Josh I'm sure it was a frightening experience. Just knowing that you didn't have an avenue to escape.....You had to stay on path. :( Horrible.
Sooo...I wonder how Van-Lady reacted to all this? Uh-Oh! She'll be sweating this one out for sure.

Take your time to heal properly. Do as you're told. Take your prescribed meds. Pain killers do work.
I definitely understand your position of "throwing in the towel." A face on hit would have me questioning myself about riding again too. I get it. Most of us if not all...get it.

Please, Don't be a stranger, let us know how you're progressing. Chat with us, any 'ol time ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Wow, just the sort of things that likely scares us all, the other driver doing something totally unexpected. It is one thing to say we should always expect the unexpected, but a completely different thing when it actually happens.

Sorry to hear of your accident. Glad to hear it wasn't worse than it was. I trust your healing comes along okay.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

homie wrote:And that's plenty my friend. You had a good ride and sometimes we get warnings in life. Take it for what it is, move on and count your blessings. No body is going to encourage you to get back out there after a crash like that. Probably the only thing that saved your life was the fact that you ride a scooter and not a street bike. A few miles per hour faster and no helmet would have saved you. That exact same scenario took place two blocks from my house on a street bike, but no survivor :( Rest up, get well, collect your money and get back in the cage. Put a bumper sticker that reads 'look twice, save a life, motorcycles are everywhere'
This.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

gn2 wrote:Open or full face helmet?
I wear a full face helmet which while wearing I got flipped off my bike a couple of years ago. Wound up with a swollen lip, among other minor scrapes and bruises. And that was a low speed, non collision affair.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

j.d.b. wrote:Just a note to bid you all farewell. I had a bad collision last Thursday. A young woman in a minivan waiting to make a left turn suddenly accelerated and put her van crosswise to me as my front wheel entered the intersection. I had maybe ten feet to slow from about 40mph with no where to go. I wound up slamming my face into the side her van square-on. The motion of her van flipped the bike to my right as it impacted the van, flipping me right into the side of the van.
I haven't seen the bike yet, but as I lay in the street, I saw a lot of red plastic scattered around. My helmet did it's job. I'll never forget that view or the feeling as my head hit the vehicle, It sounded like a door slamming. I lost consciousness for maybe fifteen seconds after i bounced off and landed on my back in the street. I have neck damage and a lot of soreness and swelling around the old body. No broken bones and no broken teeth. The EMT's were fast and professional as were the Trauma center medical staff when they received me. A fine plastic surgeon made sense of what was left of my lower lip and chin. I just got home this evening.
Be very careful out there. Many piss-poor drivers on the roads.
Goodnight and farewell, riders,
Josh
Thanks for the precise description of your calamity. It is an old story but never seems to go out of fashion--and as long as there are drivers like that young lady, it never will.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

I think you might have come out of it a little less wasted if you had been wearing one of these:

relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Have had a hard time replying to this one. j.d.b. considered you as a kindred spirit
a split decision by the other driver placing her priorities over your vulnerability seems to be way too common
riding@100mpg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by riding@100mpg »

so sorry to hear that. take as a warning shot and run for cover. sounds like you lucked out a little,could have been a lot worst by the decription. take care of yourself and get better. never like to hear a fellow rider's bad story.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The fact that you survived says a lot. A decent helmet, and maybe a good Jacket? You can count your blessings. I am glad that you are well enough to be able to write about your misadventure. I would not be surprised if you found out that the driver was distracted and did not see you coming. There are too many distractions these days, and drivers seem to think that they can multi-task while driving with no unexpected consequences.
Take time and get well. Let an attorney do the worrying about the outcome of the accident investigation.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

This has been a good read. Please Get well. And it brings up the fact that a full face or a modular helmet, even for a scooter, is a great idea. I own both open face and full, I'm moving to my full helmet from now on....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ if we had a clapping emoticon (smiley face), I would place it here. Consider it Done anyway ;)
Others should consider wearing the same. Please cover thy head fully. Live a Little (more)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

Wow, that's terrible. I'm glad to hear you're gonna be okay.
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube