New to the PCX Foum.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black Metallic

New to the PCX Foum.

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

Good evening morning or afternoon. I am Charles D Wilson (Chuck D) aka as Heedehcheenuh (Heedeh-Sun) (cheenuh- Bird).
I am a native American (Tuscarora Onondaga Cherokee mix) living in the great state of South Carolina USA. Retired disabled ( R.A. Rheumatoid Arthritis) and have been looking into getting a Honda PCX 150 for fun and local runs. Being my location gives me wide open roads and no congestion to deal with I hope the PCX is the choice for me. I will have lots of open road runs and will have to run at 55-65 mph 88.5-104.6 kph. I stand 5'9" or 175.2 cm and weight in at 187 lbs or 84.8 kgs.

After I get the scooter I will probably see about a few upgrades from the windscreen top cases saddle bags (prefer hard cases) and a few other things. I have been reading a lot about the BBK and tire ratios etc. so I will research my options on the speed for top end. I am not looking to go quicker just need to have the top speed for traffic. Being an old school hot rodder and mechanic (USAF 1984-1987 423x3 Fuels maint, spec) I enjoy mods lol

The PCX seems to be my best bet between Kymco Suzuki and Yamaha. Weight is my big issue as R.A. in my feet can be touchy lol pun intended. Kymco has new models for 2018 but have yet to show them for the US market. Yamaha Smax is nice just not as nice as the PCX (To me anyway). The top brands are my first choice. Quality any time it is quality. Yes Kymco is moving up but the price vrs quality. Give me some feed back on thanks in advance for the help.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
2015 Honda PCX 150 (K-18)
Metallic Black
Leo Vince GP Corsa Exhaust
NCY Variator Kit and Drive Face with 18g rollers
Givi Windscreen D1136T
2 Wheels Down Head on a Swivel
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: New to the PCX Foum.

Post by PCX150Rider »

Hi Mr. Sun Bird,

And thank you for your service in the USAF. :)

Except for a Triumph 250 Trophy I had years ago I've always bought either Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, or Kawasaki machines. More recently I purchased my first scooter. . .a Genuine Roughhouse R50 (actually made by PGO of Taiwan). It's a blast to ride but falls a little short of speed and power for the kind of traffic I have to deal with daily. Maybe if I lost some weight it would help but I don't see that happening any time soon. :lol:

So I have chosen to put a new PCX 150 on my wishlist for this year. I also looked at the other machines out there in the same market niche and concluded that the convenient location of Honda dealers, the quality of the product, and the prompt availability of both OEM and aftermarket parts (and accessories), not to mention service, is important to me. Also, I have sat on one of the earlier PCX models on a showroom floor and liked the general feel and appearance of the scooter. My knees didn't bang the handlebars when I fully locked them right or left, the seat felt OK (although you never know until you ride one for an hour), the gauge display had an easy to read speedometer as well as other features, 100 MPG, good under-seat storage, 14 inch wheels (instead of 10 inch), motorcycle type handlebars, adequate foot room, light weight to move around, and a reasonable price point.

If you decide to do your own mechanical maintenance the removal and replacement of body panels is a time consuming chore but it can be done with a minimal amount of tools. You can adjust your valves since they are screw and nut type. . .

The CVT work is similar to other scooters.

I'm going to have to buy an electronic impact driver and a couple of sockets and perhaps a variator/clutch holding tool, and maybe some clip removal tools for a start. I think I have whatever else I need. Plus there are some really great videos that are posted on YouTube that are informative and extremely useful. Here's a link to one that you can get started with and note that the same contributor has uploaded a series of shorter videos as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ierh8gBeuLg

Consider getting highly visible colors, vest, or helmet for safety. Too much of "the light's on but nobody is home" out there on the road. o_O

I'm still not sure if I'll part yet with my R50 because it is a good scooter but I'm definitely getting the PCX more out of necessity than as a toy. Since I've put the R50 through a couple of winters I may just use it for my ugly weather machine or guests if I don't sell it. :roll:

I own two other motorcycles that fulfill longer range needs I have as well so where the PCX may leave off those pic up the trail. Otherwise I'd opt for a Forza 300 or Burgman 200/400 to give me more range and top speed that is OK for interstate highways.

Define your needs and keep it real. If your medical concerns would cause you to compromise your safety while riding you may want to reconsider. That being said I hope the planets would come into alignment for you and you will be riding the countryside on your new PCX with a big grin soon. :D
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I'm a tiny bit concerned about your top end need. Maybe the modders here can put my concerns to rest, but 60-65 mph is pretty much balls to the wall for our PCX's, and there is not any reserve. The Forza is much heavier, I realize, but may be worth a sit-on when you go see a PCX. For wide open roads at 60+ speeds, it may be the better choice. Up to 60 though (and especially on a backroad twisty at 40 or so), the PCX is the most fun I've had in years.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

Thanks for the reply. I hope this PCX (Purchase around (May-July) will fit my needs. I live 8 miles from any direction to bigger towns and those open roads are the ones I am looking at the most. I figure the PCX with the larger tire upgrade will give me more top end when needed and I will mount a gps speedo to stay with in the speed limits. My disability has it factors but I can work around it. Winter is the most telling but spring summer and fall are wide open for the fun runs. I have some friends that do the Smokey Mountain crawl each year and that is one of my goals. I want to ride from home McColl S.C. to Gatlinburg Tenn. and hope this scooter will do the job. I know the Forza Burgman 200-400 and Kymco Downtown 300i or Xciting 500Ri would work. My problem is......there are no local places (Under 40 miles) that have any in stock for me to set on and feel them out feet and weight wise.
I had to retire back in 2014 and have been trying to decide what way to go (Now that I am getting my SSDI). I have always been into hot rods as in putting large motors in small cars. Same with computers now as in take a $100 computer and make a game rig out of it,,,:) .

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

p.s. Everyone just call me Chuck I am not rich enough to be called Charles lol
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I would'nt want to use a PCX at 50 to 65 miles an hour all the time. That's the maximum topend for it , and the bike at that speed is a little windy and gets blown around. I'd opt for something bigger like the Forza.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

GeorgeSK wrote:I'm a tiny bit concerned about your top end need. Maybe the modders here can put my concerns to rest, but 60-65 mph is pretty much balls to the wall for our PCX's, and there is not any reserve. The Forza is much heavier, I realize, but may be worth a sit-on when you go see a PCX. For wide open roads at 60+ speeds, it may be the better choice. Up to 60 though (and especially on a backroad twisty at 40 or so), the PCX is the most fun I've had in years.
Yeah I have been looking into the Burgman 200 but they have yet to say if they are going to have the Forza in the line up this year. I have sat on a Forza but never moved it around and I like it. I know I want a new one not used.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Hi Chuck D,

First, welcome to hondapcx.org. We are a great community to connect with over our common interest in the PCX (and others)

Second, it is helpful to us if you list your location as a part of your profile. Even simply putting USA is good. It helps us to help you better, particularly with technical and accessories type questions.

Third, when I am in the US, I live in an are similar to what you are describing, although a little closer to the city (Buffalo). But most of my riding will be on country roads. As such, I chose to go with a larger bike than the PCX. I think the PCX is great for around the city, but out in the countryside, you may find it a little wanting. I love my PCX in the city (Bangkok, where I live most of the year), but could tell that I would be hard pushed on it in my US riding conditions.

I ended up getting a 400cc Yamaha Majesty, primarily for availability, but also considered the Forza, although for my leg length (32" inseam) it felt a little more cramped than the PCX, but it might suit you perfect.

Anyway, whatever you get, enjoy it!
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

kramnala58 wrote:Hi Chuck D,

First, welcome to hondapcx.org. We are a great community to connect with over our common interest in the PCX (and others)

Second, it is helpful to us if you list your location as a part of your profile. Even simply putting USA is good. It helps us to help you better, particularly with technical and accessories type questions.

Third, when I am in the US, I live in an are similar to what you are describing, although a little closer to the city (Buffalo). But most of my riding will be on country roads. As such, I chose to go with a larger bike than the PCX. I think the PCX is great for around the city, but out in the countryside, you may find it a little wanting. I love my PCX in the city (Bangkok, where I live most of the year), but could tell that I would be hard pushed on it in my US riding conditions.

I ended up getting a 400cc Yamaha Majesty, primarily for availability, but also considered the Forza, although for my leg length (32" inseam) it felt a little more cramped than the PCX, but it might suit you perfect.

Anyway, whatever you get, enjoy it!
Thanks. I am still learning the forums set up. I have a few forums I work with but I am learning. Yeah I have a 32" inseam also and I may be looking into a bigger scooter it all falls to $$$ in a few weeks to months. To bad I can not put a SBC (Small block chevy) on one and make a mini boss hoss scoot lol Poor frame would collapse under the weight and torque lol

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Fold on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Howdy Chuck! Welcome aboard our forum's! Nice intro. Oh so Sorry about your R.A. but it's good to read that you're managing and getting around. So much so that a scooter is on the horizon 8)
Hmm, I must get this out of the way before giving you my opinion on your nearing purchase.

Let's check this box first....
by getting your location listed on/in your profile.
Yes yes, you did mention above South Carolina, but none of us will remember that when you post elsewhere on the forum's. I know you're still learning your way around, we all started there at one time or another. That's why I'm here to help ;)

Below my post you will read easy directions to get that done.
We ask that you Please do so. We try very hard to help one another here and believe it or not, Location is key to opening our informational doors. You want in? Consider "that" your knock(ing).

I'll be back before you buy "which?" Scoot?

Cheery video/song time (Try shaking this one off! It's so dang stickey! :D )

Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

WhiteNoise wrote:Howdy Chuck! Welcome aboard our forum's! Nice intro. Oh so Sorry about your R.A. but it's good to read that you're managing and getting around. So much so that a scooter is on the horizon 8)
Hmm, I must get this out of the way before giving you my opinion on your nearing purchase.

Let's check this box first....
by getting your location listed on/in your profile.
Yes yes, you did mention above South Carolina, but none of us will remember that when you post elsewhere on the forum's. I know you're still learning your way around, we all started there at one time or another. That's why I'm here to help ;)

Below my post you will read easy directions to get that done.
We ask that you Please do so. We try very hard to help one another here and believe it or not, Location is key to opening our informational doors. You want in? Consider "that" your knock(ing).

I'll be back before you buy "which?" Scoot?

Cheery video/song time (Try shaking this one off! It's so dang stickey! :D )

Done :D . I have a store in Fayetteville N.C. that carries the Suzuki Burgman 200 in stock and may go try it. Speed wise it is supposed to top out 75 mph min - 83 mph.(Weight of rider may be the factor) I will still look into the PCX after I get the big boy maxi scooter choice done. The PCX could be the run around town and fun run. I do want to do the Mountain run and Dragons Tail in Tenn. casual ride not to push it. If they make a Burgamn 400 this year at a good price I say OK. Even the new Kymco line (I was told that the Xciting 400i and X-Town 300i are on the way for 2018 (No word yet on the 50th Anniversary AK550 coming). I have watched and studied the 400i and weight to performance is great.

So until the funds show up all I can do is drool lol.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....

p.s. Sorry for any typos..hands and brain look at each other funny at times lol
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

Further research shows the Xciting 400i to have 90-95 mph top speed and weights in around 463 lbs. I just need the cost and be able to sit on one to check my feet and lean ability. I hope Honda does not drop the Forza all together as I like it way to much. No price yet on the Xciting 400i but EU prices seem to place it around $3999 to $4499usd so time will tell.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

GeorgeSK wrote:I'm a tiny bit concerned about your top end need. Maybe the modders here can put my concerns to rest, but 60-65 mph is pretty much balls to the wall for our PCX's, and there is not any reserve. The Forza is much heavier, I realize, but may be worth a sit-on when you go see a PCX. For wide open roads at 60+ speeds, it may be the better choice. Up to 60 though (and especially on a backroad twisty at 40 or so), the PCX is the most fun I've had in years.
I don't think the PCX would be a good choice for your needs. I say that because this bike is primarily designed for in-city commuting and really not for highway speeds. Yes, it can get up there , but when you are up into the 50's and 60's the bike starts screaming away and feels a little viby .As stated above there is no better bike out there for maneuverability and cruising in the 40's . Lots of fun doing the curves and its agility getting around in tight areas is awesome , but once you get up with the trucks and highway speeds the wind especially the cross winds and hills will have a big effect on stability and speed..A fun scooter , if used within its design parameters.
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

My new PCX is only 500 mileage.

I have run twice top end speed, 60MPH maximum.

So, my two cent is, NOT a good choice for your top speed requirement.
PCX at 45 MPH is the perfect cruising speed.
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

This is maybe the best going for a light duty freeway scooter. I have a Sym HD200 on order. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

http://www.alliancepowersports.com/mobile/rv.html
:geek:
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

87112 wrote:This is maybe the best going for a light duty freeway scooter. I have a Sym HD200 on order. Will let you guys know how it turns out.

http://www.alliancepowersports.com/mobile/rv.html
I have looked at the SYM models but they have no dealer near me that I know of. The Kymco Like 200i looks fun and old school:

http://www.kymcousa.com/showroom/scoote ... index.html

But I do not think the speed would be there.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi & Thanks for updating your profile :)
I'm Sounding parent-like right here > please keep your own safety in mind as you make your decision.

Okay,
so how much bike weight can you realistically handle, considering your health condition(s)?
What Size motor do you feel you really need for your rides/What speed will you be traveling most of the time?

I agree, the PCX is a fun lovin' (in my mind, fun like my vw bug was) easy to ride and maneuver run-around scoot, with comfortable speeds between 40-50. Higher range is fine but not for long periods of time. I have ailments myself, spondylolisthesis, severe osteoarthritis and other :x
Example: A four hour ride on my previous Piaggio MP3 was more enjoyable cruising 4 hours than on my PCX. With my PCX I stop more often, take pics, and enjoy as I go :P Speed is not in the equation with my PCX, never was. But...there's the Bad side, it limits me from visiting friends closer to the NYC. No highway riding for me, not on WN. Way too dangerous here. I'm thinking my next bike (if that happens) will be capable of that run.
Right now one of my friend's is considering selling their Kymco Downtown 300 for a 2016 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SE5 ($15,999 from $19,849.00).

Whatever the ride, Pains and all, We just wanna ride, and We will. Luckily, We have choices. We hope We make the right one. Tis all. EXCITING! 8) Enjoy your test rides.

Oops, Back to the PCX. If you choose to do so, you can "mod" up all the weak spots as you discover them, but if there are many why would you? So many choices are out there to meet "your" needs and requirements.

WAIT!...Have you considered a Piaggio? (Note: parts maybe/will be? hard to get and shops are far and few between). How about the Beverly 350 with ABS? Costly? 2x a PCX. Heavier than a PCX @ 390lbs but, it's a sturdy well built bike. Has 16" front tire and 14" rear. Claimed Max speed 86. Seat hgt 31". You can read more here:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... 50-ABS.htm
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (59.6 KiB) Viewed 3429 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I checked out a Like a couple of years ago. . .was still trying to figure out if I wanted to go with a 49cc or something upwards of 200cc. The Like looked good but I didn't feel that it would be a "fit" for me. That being said it would be easier to get access to adjust the valves on the Like than some scooters, but at the end of the day it wasn't going check all the boxes on my "must do" list.

My overall impression of the PCX when I first sat on one (the older type 125 with the "hump") was good. Nice machine.

But, I ended up believing that a 49cc machine would fulfill my needs so I went for the Genuine Roughhouse.

Having put almost 5,000 miles on it in two years I concluded that I really should have gotten a scooter with a little more "umph" to it. Winds over 25 MPH definitely slow it up. . .as do hills. Traffic today contains more and more distracted drivers and people that are either slugs or in a real hurry. To make a long story short if I had it all over again I would have gotten a bigger scooter. . .

So the PCX 150 will check all the boxes on my "must do" list with an asterisk next to the "ease of valve maintenance" box. :roll:

The videos made available on YouTube for DIY maintenance on the PCX are done exceptionally well. There is a huge international following for this machine. . .

Again, as others have mentioned, if you feel that you are going to be cruising at the higher end of 55 MPH most of the time you may want to ramp up to the Forza 300 or similar machine.
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

WhiteNoise wrote:Hi & Thanks for updating your profile :)
I'm Sounding parent-like right here > please keep your own safety in mind as you make your decision.

Okay,
so how much bike weight can you realistically handle, considering your health condition(s)?
What Size motor do you feel you really need for your rides/What speed will you be traveling most of the time?

I agree, the PCX is a fun lovin' (in my mind, fun like my vw bug was) easy to ride and maneuver run-around scoot, with comfortable speeds between 40-50. Higher range is fine but not for long periods of time. I have ailments myself, spondylolisthesis, severe osteoarthritis and other :x
Example: A four hour ride on my previous Piaggio MP3 was more enjoyable cruising 4 hours than on my PCX. With my PCX I stop more often, take pics, and enjoy as I go :P Speed is not in the equation with my PCX, never was. But...there's the Bad side, it limits me from visiting friends closer to the NYC. No highway riding for me, not on WN. Way too dangerous here. I'm thinking my next bike (if that happens) will be capable of that run.
Right now one of my friend's is considering selling their Kymco Downtown 300 for a 2016 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SE5 ($15,999 from $19,849.00).

Whatever the ride, Pains and all, We just wanna ride, and We will. Luckily, We have choices. We hope We make the right one. Tis all. EXCITING! 8) Enjoy your test rides.

Oops, Back to the PCX. If you choose to do so, you can "mod" up all the weak spots as you discover them, but if there are many why would you? So many choices are out there to meet "your" needs and requirements.

WAIT!...Have you considered a Piaggio? (Note: parts maybe/will be? hard to get and shops are far and few between). How about the Beverly 350 with ABS? Costly? 2x a PCX. Heavier than a PCX @ 390lbs but, it's a sturdy well built bike. Has 16" front tire and 14" rear. Claimed Max speed 86. Seat hgt 31". You can read more here:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcyc ... 50-ABS.htm
There is the problem. I do not have a dealer near me to go try any scoot as far as weight goes. I will say so far the Suzuki Burgman 200 may be the answer. 75-80mph top speed will give me the highway long distance runs that I want. I have not rode in years now so I figure local small town ride and country roads for now will do. I will have to get endorsement but I am ready to ride. I have leg strength it is just the R.A. in my feet may be the issue. I figure a good set of boots will help with that also. it will be May-July before I can pick out what would work for me ($$$ wise). For me to get to the mountains I will have to travel 1.5-2 hrs on a major highway running up to 65-70mph. Next will be a tube mount for my fishing pole lol :lol: Just to burn some day light when ready.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Since you have RA, be sure to get a scooter with lots of foot position options.
That's something Honda get right, allowing you to put your feet up forward, etc.
Heedehcheenuh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Heedehcheenuh »

OK new update! Not getting the Suzuki Burgman 200 I am getting the Honda PCX 150 (2016-2017) and have to finish rounding up the deposit then get to Team Charlotte Motorsports to get ready for the ride. I am so ready with all this beautiful weather we have had here in S.C.

Heedehcheenuh
Chuck D
Ride on.....
Metallic Black
Givi Windscreen D1136T