What a washout!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gse123
Regular User
Regular User

What a washout!

Post by gse123 »

...the weather that is! Opened the curtains this morning to miserable rain. I had told myself that I was going out today for a practice ride to my new place of work (10 miles away) no matter what the weather as I'd have to get used to it sooner or later!

So I cautiously set off, trying to remember all the things I had read online and been told about riding as safely as possible in the rain.... be as smooth as possible on the throttle, increased braking distance, try to avoid dodgy road surfaces etc.

All things considered it actually went very well.... and after a while I actually started to enjoy the experience somewhat! Probably my most solid ride since passing my CBT in terms of bike control, road positioning etc which I was pleased about. Was a bit scary flying down an A road at 55 with rain bashing my visor, huge winds blowing me, and big artic lorries everywhere! Brown trousers time! :lol:

Rain on the visor was a pain (obviously!) - I had to keep wiping it off with my finger (need to get one of those clip on wipers for my glove) and despite applying a generous amount of Muc Off Anti Fog treatment to the inside of the visor (which in other instances has worked a treat), it was misting up pretty bad at slower speeds (I had the visor cracked open slightly most of the time to try and stop this). I was appalled at some of the car drivers who overtook me so closely that I could have reached out and touched their car! (I was doing the speed limit... not like I was crawling). I guess this is just something you have to get used to as a scooter rider, being at the lower end of the vehicle food chain! I was trying to stay as close to the middle of the road as possible to dissuade other drivers from attempting these dangerous overtakes, but didn't stop some people. Idiots!

When I got back home, I initially felt nice and dry until I took off my jacket etc. The front of my T-shirt underneath was completely drenched, my hands were soaking (my gloves are very comfortable but summer gloves really) but my legs and feet were better - slightly damp but definitely not soaking. I guess the only way to make yourself completely waterproof when riding is to wear some kind of all in one waterproof outer suit etc.

All in all, an excellent ride! :D
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Re: What a washout!

Post by Cascanciu »

Glad you enjoyed your ride and that you're building up your confidence. It looks like you're in the right path. Only thing I'd add is that you avoid white road markings as much as you can, manhole covers, rail tracks and stuff like that. They're slippery as hell. Learn to avoid them even on the dry. That way it'll be second nature for you to avoid them on the wet.

First thing I bought after my helmet and gloves were waterproof trousers and a proper motorbike jacket. I have a Bering Aero (ventilated) for summer and an Alpinestars winter jacket. Both are made in Cordura and have protections for the elbows, shoulders, and back. The trousers, properly folded, fit underneath the seat together with my helmet and gloves. Regardless of how much it rains (and we do get our share of it here), I always reach my destination dry.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

tips which i would suggest are:

- get some helmet screen cleaner and use it every week - get them from halfords helps you see in the rain if you havent cleaned them for a while!
- get some waterproof motorcycle clothing if you are using it often, it will keep you warm and protected
- I have 2 sets of gloves, waterproof for winter and a sports one for summer
- check your tyre pressure every month at least and engine oil too.

Apart from that, welcome to wet riding lol, i commute daily in London through the city come rain or shine, makes a different if theres a downpour, your bound to have somewhere wet but at least most of your body is dry then you get home/work.
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

Cracksta wrote:tips which i would suggest are:

- get some helmet screen cleaner and use it every week - get them from halfords helps you see in the rain if you havent cleaned them for a while!
- get some waterproof motorcycle clothing if you are using it often, it will keep you warm and protected
- I have 2 sets of gloves, waterproof for winter and a sports one for summer
- check your tyre pressure every month at least and engine oil too.

Apart from that, welcome to wet riding lol, i commute daily in London through the city come rain or shine, makes a different if theres a downpour, your bound to have somewhere wet but at least most of your body is dry then you get home/work.

This is the jacket I currently have (came as part of a bundle with the PCX) - http://www.rst-moto.com/rst-alpha-ii-textile-2pc-jacket

I know it's not exactly high spec, but the material itself is waterproof (as my back was dry as a bone when I took it off) but water is obviously getting in the collar, and zip areas etc.
tomtic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by tomtic »

Welcome. Don't worry too much about the bad weather, as the guys have said above there is some good motorcycle clothing that will go a long way to keeping you dry. The thingy that fits on your glove and lets you wipe the raindrops from your visor is called a Vee Wipe. I've used one for the past five years and it really does help.
Depending on what your job is, you might also consider a change of clothes at work.
I have found that with the all-in-one waterproof suits they can sometimes collect rainwater in one of the folds (around the belly area) and this can eventually find its way in. A bin-bag worn over the torso will help prevent this.
Finally, remember it doesn't rain that often when riding in to work. Riding home is always less important as you can get changed one home.
Good luck!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

tomtic wrote:Welcome. Don't worry too much about the bad weather, as the guys have said above there is some good motorcycle clothing that will go a long way to keeping you dry. The thingy that fits on your glove and lets you wipe the raindrops from your visor is called a Vee Wipe. I've used one for the past five years and it really does help.
Depending on what your job is, you might also consider a change of clothes at work.
I have found that with the all-in-one waterproof suits they can sometimes collect rainwater in one of the folds (around the belly area) and this can eventually find its way in. A bin-bag worn over the torso will help prevent this.
Finally, remember it doesn't rain that often when riding in to work. Riding home is always less important as you can get changed one home.
Good luck!
Good advice about the to work, to home thing

I keep a spare suit at work so if I'm drenched I just get changed. If I get wet on the way home its only a point of amusement for the family
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

yep 2nd the gear mate, buy some waterproof trousers and buy the best jacket you can afford, astars, richa etc,you will stay dry with one of these i can vouch for that. good luck with the riding just treat everyone like they are trying to kill you ,remember the hazzards in the wet and youll be fine.most of all enjoy it rain or shine :-)
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
brains_t
Regular User
Regular User

Post by brains_t »

Hi

Snap, did my first wet run in London today.

Had my PCX (white) for a week having completed the CBT on 8th. Clocked up 30 miles on two previous runs so I decided to try a wet 16 mile run today. Being an experienced commuting cyclist helps needing no encouragement to filter on the outside but am amazed at how often cars creep out before they see you - adopted a keep right when passing junctions on the left. I have read "Pass your bike test and become a better rider" and viewed many YouTube videos which gave me confidence to take on the conditions however probably was not the best day to fill the tank as the petrol station floor was covered in fuel.

My next lesson is how to restore the new bike shine around the rear wheel area but for now the dirt is hidden under the cover.
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

hi brains
this works for mw cleaning the bike.....spray on muc off all over the rear wheel area.soapy water and use a "sash "brush it looks like a wheel cleaning bush,brush in soapy water in all the hard to reach areas use a sponge else where,the simply rinse off.....and bobs yer uncle.....hope this helps and good luck
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

Well done for getting out there in this weather.
As for the visor fogging up, try this stuff http://www.visorvision.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=25 It does work very well, I bought a bottle of it the other day, used it on my glasses (Visor has pinlock) and so far they have not misted over yet even with visor fully shut and stationary at lights!
jasperthehorse

Post by jasperthehorse »

Good on ya!
Master it in the wet and watch how good a rider you become and how quickly you become that rider.
Try a pinlock for your visor, superb bits of kit.
Buy the best gear you can afford. Worth every penny, try ebay, i just picked up a used weise hornet jacket for £30 in great condition, its £180 new.
Learn to ride defensively as well, car drivers are idiots, blows my mind that we dont get retested every 5 years or so.
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

It's THAT time of year - watch out for leaves, the mulch can really cause a slide or worse. Manhole covers should always be avoided. The temperature is dropping too so black ice will be about especially in shaded areas. Sorry to worry newbies but this is advice from a fair few years of riding. Take it much easier in the darker months and you'll be fine.

Bill
Image[/URL
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The average motorcycle takes longer to stop than a pickup truck, even longer in rain. Leaving extra stopping room is the most important factor when it's wet, so make sure always to do so. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes