Total length

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Koolpcx

Total length

Post by Koolpcx »

What's the total length of the pcx? I'm going to pick it up Saturday morning and I have roughly 57 inches in the bed of my truck from my toolbox to the tailgate. Also what's the best way to secure it for transport? I saw those double looped straps but can't seem to find them locally right now
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Total length

Post by GeorgeSK »

Methinks you will have the tailgate down....

Overall length roughly measures 72". Arched ramps will make loading MUCH easier (bottom of scoot won't hang at the ramp/tailgate angle). Bring a pretty strong friend, or rig a trailer winch at the back of the bed so that a weak friend can wind the scoot up while you aim it up the ramp. Put the scoot on the center stand once it is up in the bed, and I think that having the scoot parallel to the direction of travel (ie straight in the bed) will make distributing stresses far easier.

As far a securing for travel, a set of four ratchet straps (like http://www.homedepot.com/p/1-in-x-12-ft ... /205884309) will do the job, and one of your local big boxes will have a set (as will Harbor Freight if there is one of those around). You can just tie the straps to the upper end of the shock springs (round turn and two half hitches - no need for getting fancy with your knots) and gently and evenly snug the ratchets to pull the scoot down on its shocks a bit. I could not figure out how to safely use the metal hooks on the scoot, so I just tied the straps on.

You can also tie the straps around the handlebars just inside of the brake lever mounts, but for my shorter ride a while ago, I just used one strap across the scoot just above the fuel door and again gently compressed the scoot down onto the front suspension. Side to side support was not great - handlebar connection would be better IMHO.

You will work something out, but do think it out ahead of time. It is a long way from the ground to the tailgate, and you want to maintain control of your new baby.

Good luck.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Koolpcx

Post by Koolpcx »

Thank you....i have plenty of straps..just wasn't sure how much room I needed and the proper placement of the straps
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Heck - if I were picking up a new toy I'd be riding it back!
Koolpcx

Post by Koolpcx »

It's all interstate and it's 75mph lol
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Koolpcx wrote:It's all interstate and it's 75mph lol
Is 75mph a minimum requirement?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I had my PCX delivered. It's common practice to deliver bike's where I live and it is in Florida too. Dealer's offer delivery right to your door. Some at a price, some for free. I've had both. Highway, Interstate, Expressway riding is Not for me. Not doing it on a top speed of 63 "wide open" PCX. Woohoo! An exit or three okay. Not much more. Still I'd be in question.
On a Bigger bike? Yeah. Let's doit!

Koolpcx, why not ask your dealer if he would deliver it? It might Cost you, might not. Worth it? Just another idea and certainly easier and safer than having your first go at bedding it in a pickup. Just a thought.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

WhiteNoise wrote:Koolpcx, why not ask your dealer if he would deliver it?
As far as I know it's a 2nd hand bike from a non-dealer in Martinsville.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

I did another measurement this AM, and you may have a problem. I tried to get a length from the front of the scoot to the contact patch or the rear tire, and got really close to the 57" you have. Rocking the scoot back on the center stand will pull it away from your box and lift the rear wheel, so you may be OK.

The other concern I had was that I described straps from the shocks BACK to the tie points in my truck bed. If scoot extends beyond and onto the tailgate, then the straps are pulling the machine forward, and maybe off the center stand.

Maybe take a look at the tailgate to see if there might be something else to tie to at the top (far back when down).

I guess my final thought is how hard would it be to pull the toolbox out for the event? That would simplify much.

You and a helper could horse the machine around to fit across the bed, and maybe that is your solution. IDK.

Maybe I am overthinking it, but given the length of drive, I would think pretty hard.

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yeah, okay Mav. Might have to pay for delivery then. Won't know till he asks. That is, If he's interested in having it delivered. I imagine member Kool is getting it Saturday one way or another.

Just wanting him to do it safely so he can enjoy his "precious" for more than just the ride home ;)

Koolpcx, Use 2 people (min) Should you decide to bed it in a pickup.
DO NOT KEEP THE CENTER STAND OR ANY STAND IN IT'S DOWN POSITION WHILE YOU ARE TRANSPORTING ANY 2 WHEELED SCOOTER OR MC!
>> IN TRANSPORTATION MODE - ALL STANDS ARE UP!! <<

Once in > the Side stand can be put Down to fasten and secure your straps from scooter to the bed's front cleats/u-bolts (or whatever the truck is equipped with). You then Tighten the straps evenly side to side until the scooter is upright (not leaning) and feeling stable. Once it's stable, Hold the handlebar and raise the side stand. If necessary, Continue holding and re-check those straps. Are they tight enough? If not, go side to side re-tightening them evenly again, but Do Not fully compress the front shocks. Could be damaging and it's Not necessary.

If you're unsure about the rear tire ("hopping") you can secure that too by running a strap through and around the bottom of the wheel (like a ribbon loop) pulling it tight at both ends then securing those ends to the rear cleats in your bed.

Don't know if you needed all that info, but I put it out there just the same.
Saturday will be a Very Exciting Day for You, I'd like to hear it stay that way :P
Get home safely, Both of you.

Then.... SHOW US WHAT YOU GOT!! :P 8) :P 8)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

P.S. Here's my 2015 sexy measurements :D (from zee owner's manual)

Overall length: 76"
Overall width: 29.1"
Overall height: 43.3"
Wheelbase: 51.8"
Min Ground Clearance: 5.3"

Cheerio ;)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

Interesting, WN. All stands up? Not exactly intuitive, and I did not have an issue, but my ride was short and the roads reasonable and low speed. With that in mind, I would definitely pull the box or somehow drag the scoot across the bed, but then I would have no idea how to tie it off. KP will figure out something, I'm sure, and I hope s/he will let us know their solution.

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yeah me too George! ;) Get the toolbox out. Need More room.
Kool you might have to angle her body in the bed. Pick a front corner and nose her into it. Then strap her down. Hard to tell sitting behind my iPad just how she's gonna fit.
Heh there Mr. Kool, Come Back and fill us in Please! We Want to know Your newest pickup plan/method! We got ideas... you got anymore? Let's share :P
If you have more questions, by all means ask away!
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

WhiteNoise wrote:Yeah, okay Mav. Might have to pay for delivery then. Won't know till he asks. That is, If he's interested in having it delivered. I imagine member Kool is getting it Saturday one way or another.

Just wanting him to do it safely so he can enjoy his "precious" for more than just the ride home ;)
Safety first, for sure - it's a topic near and dear to my heart.

I "Googled" the distance between the two places - appears to be some 700km. To be honest, I don't know what the interstate traffic is like for that route (or in-fact at all in the USA); here in New Zealand we do get slower traffic on our motorways though - and the ones that wan't to be "part of the solution" rather than "part of the problem" (especially on scooters) simply keep to the edge of the road on the slowest lane - keep an eye on their mirrors - and ease across onto the shoulder to help cars get by. Nothing particularly dangerous about it as the speed differential is usually relatively minimal and traffic usually isn't all that dense (could well be different "over there" - as I say, I have no experience in the USA). City driving in either country is orders of magnitude more dangerous though - mostly due to vehicles coming together at intersections where the rider hasn't been seen - so in that regard I suspect the relatively dangerous stuff is yet to come, unfortunately.

I made my initial comment somewhat tongue-in-cheek, and without knowing the distance involved. 700km is a long trip - most I've done on the PCX is just over 500km in a day. If it were up to me and I had the time I've love to do a 700km trip (or a bit longer if there were better back roads); being WOT doesn't bother me or the bike, but fuel management would be a challenge (assuming model with 6.1L tank then probs only 125km safe range at WOT). On the flip-side, if I didn't have the time or inclination for a long ride then I too would make other arrangements (and would of course encourage others to do the same). Perhaps I'm just somewhat of an "odd-ball" in that long-distance driving and riding has always been very easy for me; I can ride/drive hundreds of km - have a bit of a stretch when I stop - and be none the worse for wear (I don't "sleep any better" that night or am I "tired or sore" the next day - it's all "just another day" to me) :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Getting the dealer to do free delivery is best when you negotiate the price.

If it were me I'd try to get them to deliver the machine as part of the deal. . .even if it cost a little bit. They certainly should be equipped for it. When I get a new two wheeler. . .as rare as it is. . .I always insist that the dealer delivers it to my door.

That way you can futz around getting familiar with the controls and stuff where you live instead of jumping into the stampede of traffic right out of the chute from the dealership. Or, you don't have to worry about the thing falling over if you bring it home yourself in a vehicle that you aren't sure is up to the task. Above and beyond using straps there are chocks that people also use in trucks or trailers if they move bikes around often. If you try to move a scoot or bike without one it increases the risk of the thing sliding laterally on bumps.

Bottom line. . .see if you can get them to deliver it for you. IMHO. :geek:

See this link for chocks so you'll know what I'm talking about http://www.pingelonline.com/prodcat/wheel-chocks.asp
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

PCX150Rider wrote: If it were me I'd try to get them to deliver the machine as part of the deal. . .even if it cost a little bit. They certainly should be equipped for it. When I get a new two wheeler. . .as rare as it is. . .I always insist that the dealer delivers it to my door.
He's buying a 2nd hand one from a private individual, not a new one from a dealer.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

He's buying a 2nd hand one from a private individual, not a new one from a dealer.
Oh yes. . .stupid me. . .it was from a private seller indeed.

My mistake. But the upside is that PCX will be back on the road again. :D
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Oh yes. . .stupid me. . .it was from a private seller indeed.

My mistake. But the upside is that PCX will be back on the road again. :D
Change made: "Oh yes. . .stupid Us. . .it was from a private seller indeed." :lol:

Alright then! Perhaps the seller would agree to ride the scoot to your location? Just offer to pay him. Worth asking. See what he says.

I will try to keep this brief :lol:
When I lived in FL I fell in love with a 2005 Honda Shadow 600 DLX/VLX in Candy Orange (a rare color that was used on that model year Only). I saw it on eBay. I bidded and managed to outbid others winning the bike - now I had to get it home from across the State. It was so hot and daily afternoon thunderstorms were always expected. The topper? It was love bug season! Floridians know what I'm talking about. Useless Love bugs are the Worst! They show up twice a year by the millions,(?) and they are so easily killed. A mere touch does it. Then....they Stink! :x Anywho...
I decided to ask the seller via email if he would ride the bike to my residence if I tossed in another $100.00. After a few mins his email was in my inbox saying "deal!" We made our arrangements - date time etc and he rode the bike over (a friend followed behind in his vehicle to take him back home).
He got caught in several storms on the way so it took him longer to arrive and when he did o_O He was covered in Love bugs. He couldn't wait to tear his helmet and jacket off. He was not in a good mood. We quickly checked over the bike (all good except sloppy with bugs) then made our exchange, money for title. Then off he went with his friend.
End of story.
See...it can be done. Just make the first move, ask ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, I know those love bugs well. Anyone who has traveled to Florida during love bugs season is made aware of them quickly. If you come by way of a car it becomes next to impossible to get their dead bodies off of the car before they mess with your paint job. Running the car through a care wash only removes the unscathed portion of the bug. The rest takes hand washing with a bit of effort. What a Mess!
I have not tried this but some friends told me that if you spray some PAM cooking spray on the front of your car before starting your journey it will help in the removal. I don't know if that stuff is good or bad for the paint. Somebody else suggested using cling wrap on your hood and bumper area. I wonder how you keep it from coming off at 70 mph? ...all of this for a little bug the size of a lightning bug, but no where as useful and fun.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Love bugs are the worst couple days twice a year right? You might as well not go out. They're squishy and acid filled so brushing one off your shirt or out of your hair can be HORRIFYING for your wife. I remember and they do SUCK!