Opinion - 2011 Honda PCX 125 w/22k miles (35k KM)

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

lucarog923

Opinion - 2011 Honda PCX 125 w/22k miles (35k KM)

Post by lucarog923 »

Newer rider here. Myself I used to own a 150cc Aprilia some years back, rode for a year, so not a brand new rider but has been years since I rode anything.

Looking at a

2011 Honda PCX 125cc with 22k miles.
  • Excellent condition (minor cosmetic issues, was laid down once on one side),
    new tires,
    belt change at 20K,
    says he kept up with oil changes at every 3K.
    It's priced $400 under Kelly Blue Book for excellent condition (he wants $1200).
I've met with the guy, 2nd owner, he put the 20K mi on ridding freeway for work every day over 1.5 yrs (topping out around 60 I think he's crazy for riding fwy but you guys might disagree).

He says he maintained it well, oil changes himself, showed me where on the bike to change it, has a ratchet set in the seat so I believe him, has owner's manual & clean title. He seems really straightforward, no BS or hiding anything, showed me everything on the bike so no reason to not believe him regarding maintenance or other issues.

Looking for opinions on the older model PCX 2011. I've read a bit, but mainly about the newer models or the 2011 edition but from posts made back when it was a newer bike in 2013-15 & so this bike being 7 years old & +20K miles I'm looking for more specific info.

My concerns are age of the bike & miles, should need brakes replaced soon too (he never touched them). Also did he wait a little long to replace the belt?

Any info appreciate, thanks!
lucarog923

Re: Opinion - 2011 Honda PCX 125 w/22k miles (35k KM)

Post by lucarog923 »

I should add it has a Honda brand trunk.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

I believe that the pre 2013 models had a potential issue where the center stand cracked the crank case at the point where it's bolted on - so might pay to look especially closely in that area.

I've done 33,000k on my 2013 model (it's an ESP model) - still runs as good as the day I bought it. I do my own oil changes too - every 4000km.

I'm not a whisperer (yet) - just a very pragmatic guy who's been around long enough not to always take people at face value. If it were me I'd be seeking satisfactory answers to the following points:

1. Any crank case cracks per mention above

2. When on the centre stand, is there a rough sound coming from a bearing at the back of the transmission when you spin the back wheel? Some models - mine included - have a clutch bearing that gets noisy. Not a major - reasonably easy to change - but might be a bargaining tool to get the price down a bit more. Not sure if this was a known issue on the 2011 model.

3. I track oil burn in mine - around 60 to 70mL every 4000km - would be interested to know how much this bike was burning. If he's changing the oil every 3,000km my first thought is "great" followed by "why". I do mine every 4,000km (which is twice as often as the book recommends for my year) because I want to look after the engine best I can - if this guy is doing it for the same reason then great - but if it's burning a lot of oil then that would also help cover it.

4. Mine has spent a lot of time wide-open-throttle - doesn't appear to bother it - although my 2013 has a different engine revision to the one you're looking at. Generally Honda bike engines (unlike their F1 engines) just keep going and going and going.

5. Belt on my model was due at 24,000km - and it's still going fine at 33,000km (although it's going to be changed in a few hundred km anyway).

6. My brake pads (front and rear) are still original, although will also be changed soon (getting low). There are wear indicators for both - so you can check them out. If he's been doing a lot of highway riding then it's unremarkable that he won't have used the brakes anywhere nearly as much as someone who's rides in the city a lot.

7. I can't comment on the actual price, but if it's been dropped then that probably would write $400 off a book price - so price-wise it may or it may not be a bargain.

8. Personally, I'd also have a look around and see what price you could get a preferred 2013 or later model for.

Hope this helps.
lucarog923

Post by lucarog923 »

Still reading through your post, but I should note all of this is in MILES not KM. So oil change at every 3,000mi.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

lucarog923 wrote:Still reading through your post, but I should note all of this is in MILES not KM. So oil change at every 3,000mi.
Ah - my apologies. I took the "K" to be short for KM and not 1,000.

That's nicely conservative if it's done for "looking after the engine" reasons.

Hopefully other experienced owners will also chip in with some solid advice.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

If it's me i'll wait for a good offer on a post 2013 model, and preferably a 150cc.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
lucarog923

Post by lucarog923 »

I'm minded to sell after ~6months & upgrade to either a ~300cc motorcycle like a Honda CBR or Kawasaki Ninja.

I'm also a little pressed as I'm depending on ride shares & the bus at the moment, but really shouldn't let that get in the way of my judgement.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

lucarog923 wrote:I'm minded to sell after ~6months & upgrade to either a ~300cc motorcycle like a Honda CBR or Kawasaki Ninja.

I'm also a little pressed as I'm depending on ride shares & the bus at the moment, but really shouldn't let that get in the way of my judgement.
How much riding experience have you had?

Do you have any mechanic friends or knowledgeable PCX owners who could cast their evil eye over it?

I'd be temped to ask how long since the last oil change and then check the level and verify that the oil doesn't look too bad.

Agree with alx123 though in that a 2013+ 150cc version would be better (Honda made some nice engine changes), but ultimately still just a judgement call if the price is right (which I can't comment on).
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I am in the process of selling my 2010(11) in Thailand. It has treated me well, but I would hesitate buying one that old. The center stand is a definite issue with the older model.

I am using my iPad for this post so I can't tell where your location is but it seems to be the US from what you describe (freeway). If that is the case, I would be surprised if the original owner had it to 60mph regularly. That seems high for a 125cc PCX. Is he being up front with you?

As well, with that mileage, what shape will the variator be in? Make sure you are not buying into some soon needed repairs.

If you are in the US, depending on the roads you will be riding, I think a 125cc is a little small. I would look at a 150cc at minimum.

Don't let your urgency push you into a deal of buyers remorse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

kramnala58 wrote:I am in the process of selling my 2010(11) in Thailand.
upgrading or moving?
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

kramnala58 wrote:If that is the case, I would be surprised if the original owner had it to 60mph regularly. That seems high for a 125cc PCX. Is he being up front with you?
Thought of the hour - he's probably meaning 60 MPH as indicated on the speedo. Mine over-reads by exactly 10% so if this one does the same then actual speed may be a lot closer to 54 MPH which is probably about right WOT and no wind on a 125.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

"7. I can't comment on the actual price, but if it's been dropped then that probably would write $400 off a book price - so price-wise it may or it may not be a bargain."

I dropped my bike during an accident in which two trucks hit head on. After the bike was dropped off at my house by the wrecker service I took it to my basement and took it completely apart. I checked everything over, replacing any part the might have been damaged, mostly just panels. Then I had my dealer check it to make sure everything was aligned properly. Since that time I have ridden it quite a bit and it runs beautifully. I did the same with my wife's bike. The only problem I have found with hers is that at speeds above 65 mph it gets a slight shimmy in the front. Otherwise, it runs beautifully. I plan on taking it to the dealer again to have the tire checked and high speed balanced.
The bottom line is that dropping your bike should not necessarily mean that it loses value. It depends on what the owner does after that. Some riders do not seem to care one way or the other about their scooters, while those of us who take care of them care very much. If it shows abuse or neglect then walk away. Otherwise, be mindfully of other advice given here but don't consider walking away just because it was dropped once, unless it still has the battle scars, which to me means that it wasn't worthwhile for the owner to fix it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
lucarog923

Post by lucarog923 »

Welp, I loaded up my questions in my notebook, waiting to hear from him.

Thanks for all the feedback, will update with I have something.
lucarog923

Post by lucarog923 »

TheMaverick wrote: How much riding experience have you had?

Do you have any mechanic friends or knowledgeable PCX owners who could cast their evil eye over it?

I'd be temped to ask how long since the last oil change and then check the level and verify that the oil doesn't look too bad.

Have a buddy who is an experienced motorcycle rider, he rode it & says it feels good. He has a trade school trained mechanic buddy, but no PCX/scooter people.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

lucarog923 wrote:
TheMaverick wrote: How much riding experience have you had?

Have a buddy who is an experienced motorcycle rider, he rode it & says it feels good. He has a trade school trained mechanic buddy, but no PCX/scooter people.
Guess you can only make the best decision you can on the day. Owners get to recognise little visual & audible clues after a while, but if you don't have any of those people to help then it's a moot point. I'd probably still prefer a 2013+ model if there were one, but the difference won't be night and day regardless. Good luck - let us know how you get on.
lucarog923

Post by lucarog923 »

Well I've read around some more, definitely holding out to a 2013+ model. Thanks for the good info.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

lucarog923 wrote:Well I've read around some more, definitely holding out to a 2013+ model. Thanks for the good info.
Glad you came to that conclusion too.

Hope you'll get a 2013+ and we'll see you back here.
lucarog923

Post by lucarog923 »

Other than craigslist, cycletrader, & offerup, any places to look for buying? USA.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

lucarog923 wrote:Other than craigslist, cycletrader, & offerup, any places to look for buying? USA.
Have you approached any dealers?

Not sure how it works in the states, but here in NZ there would be a good chance that a salesman would know someone who had one and would have a go at up-selling the original customer to make 2 sales.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Craigslist covers both dealers and individuals. Most of the cycletrade.com ads seemed to cover dealers. Those two probably cover most of the regional bikes for sale.

This forum does have some individual sales but those may or may not be in your area.
I purchased my first scooter off of Craigslist and it turned out to be a great buy.

However, there are some really honest dealers of used bikes out there that could give you a good deal. In that case though, you should find out in advance what kind of experience others have had with them.

Just as an example, the dealer that we purchased my wife's PCX from, as it turned out, had a bad reputation for 'slick' financing and extended warranties with fine print that made them worthless.
We went 25 miles up the road to purchase my PCX and the dealer had a good reputation for taking care of their customers. Which would you prefer to do business with?

Most of the dealer's have websites. Look them up. Ask friends. Visit multiple dealers and compare attitudes of sales personnel.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers