New pcx owner from u.k.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Re: New pcx owner from u.k.

Post by Blazinby »

Hey Dave,

and welcome, nice pics and nice quad too.

North east of England maybe but north of the wall you're all Southerners to us :lol:

B
Davepcx
Year: 2018
Color: White

Post by Davepcx »

gbru2505 wrote:Just had the large screen added myself. Big improvement in riding comfort and protection from the rain but I'm getting a lot of buffeting and air leakage into the helmet. Modular helmet is noisy both up and down. It's fine at 30mph, but on the 40mph stretches by the coast into a headwind, my motosafe earplugs are completely ineffective and I can't enjoy my sounds. Going to have to have a rethink. The wind is buffeting in from the sides to fill the void behind the screen. Pulls my loose hi-vis top forward flapping as well, which is in my line of sight - so I've ordered something adjustable to fit summer and winter wear snugly. Complicated business, larger screens. Staring with the cheapest option of ear muffs. Then possibly venting the screen lower down (don't think this will have much effect at head height though), then possibly a new helmet. Thinking I should have gone for the mid-sized Givi though to maintain a steady blast of air directly into my head.
Hi bru,
I'm having the same problem with the tall screen , the wind noise has become unbearable for me.
If i duck down a few inches it makes it better so i guess im just too tall :cry:
Think I'll order the next smaller one off ebay see how it goes but in the meantime I'm fitting the original one back on...

£72 down the drain lol
Either that or i may try cutting it down a little. Maybe take the too 8" off ? Gonna be fun trying to cut it cleanly though

Dave.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

you can add a puig lip deflector that will solve this...revzilla has them.

expensive, but works well

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pui ... reen-visor
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

Jge64 wrote:you can add a puig lip deflector that will solve this...revzilla has them.

expensive, but works well

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/pui ... reen-visor
I have the mra version of that on my versys and wasn't impressed to be honest. Definitely not worth £100+

One thing i really like about the tall screen is that it deflects the wind off your hands really well so im definately going to try cutting it down....will upload pics when its done.

Dave.
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

Well i cut it down.....
First impressions not so good, thunk i made it worse lol
Will go do a few more miles and report back with pics...

Dave.
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

Well it's definitely not good enough. Maybe i'll take another inch off see how that goes.
I'll give it a few more days to make sure because it is really windy tonight.

Sorry for the bad pic, the camera on my phone is slightly smashed lol

Also i know the cut isn't perfect as i just drew a line freehand then cut it off, no measuring lol but it rubs down really easy with a bit of wet&dry so will be good as new once i get the height right...

Dave
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

Davepcx wrote:Also i know the cut isn't perfect as i just drew a line freehand then cut it off, no measuring lol but it rubs down really easy with a bit of wet&dry so will be good as new once i get the height right...Dave
It's a drastic decision cutting it. I think the upright angle of the large Givi means there'll always be drag rather than flow. I don't know if you'd get a smoother flow of air by doing it. I'd be tempted to use a 3"-4" hole saw to cut two or three holes lower down to force some air behind the screen and balance the air pressure. What did you use to cut it with? I was surprised how much the buffeting is affected by the wind speed and direction and how ineffective the earplugs are in dealing with it. Having said that, sometimes it's absolutely great to have - especially in the rain.

At it's worst it's a physical force of buffeting air against the helmet, so the noise feels like it's coming in straight through your skull. But then I've read that it's air forcing its way into the helmet too. Adjustable screens are the way forward, but sticking another screen on top of this one won't stop buffeting air coming in from the sides.
G'Bru
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Maybe you should have just ordered the mid high one and left the tall one alone temporarily. It only takes a few minutes to swap out windshields, so you could have tried both at different times of the year. Oh well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

gbru2505 wrote:
Davepcx wrote:Also i know the cut isn't perfect as i just drew a line freehand then cut it off, no measuring lol but it rubs down really easy with a bit of wet&dry so will be good as new once i get the height right...Dave
It's a drastic decision cutting it. I think the upright angle of the large Givi means there'll always be drag rather than flow. I don't know if you'd get a smoother flow of air by doing it. I'd be tempted to use a 3"-4" hole saw to cut two or three holes lower down to force some air behind the screen and balance the air pressure. What did you use to cut it with? I was surprised how much the buffeting is affected by the wind speed and direction and how ineffective the earplugs are in dealing with it. Having said that, sometimes it's absolutely great to have - especially in the rain.

At it's worst it's a physical force of buffeting air against the helmet, so the noise feels like it's coming in straight through your skull. But then I've read that it's air forcing its way into the helmet too. Adjustable screens are the way forward, but sticking another screen on top of this one won't stop buffeting air coming in from the sides.
Yeah maybe it's mainly because it's so upright. I'm going to try cutting it down a little more anyway see if it makes a difference.
If that doesn't help I'll try throwing it in the bin :lol:

I cut it with a dremmel btw. To clean the cuts up I use wet & dry then some polishing compound and it's as good as new...
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

Mel46 wrote:Maybe you should have just ordered the mid high one and left the tall one alone temporarily. It only takes a few minutes to swap out windshields, so you could have tried both at different times of the year. Oh well.
I wasn't happy with the size anyway so don't think I would have kept it on as it was too much longer either way.
If it's no better after cutting and chopping it some more I'll probably order one that's only slightly bigger than the original.

( I did write out a better reply to both but lost net connection and lost it all so I give up :lol: )
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Dave in ref to your last sentence above, responding time does time out. How many minutes does one have? I'm not sure, but I do know a way around losing all that you type.

When you start realizing that you're writing more more more and that time is fleeing, jump on that "Draft" button, the one just below the reply box (the one you're typing in). Your response will then be sent & saved in your draft file.
Afterwards, go to your profile and look for your draft file. Once found open it. Then open the topic you sent there. You can now complete your response, review it and submit it. Nothing lost.

Did that make sense? It's not as complicated as I write it.
PRINT this if you like.
Give it a try next time. I'm often in a gabby mood :lol: so using the draft button has been a savior. You'll find a draft button on most forums. Perhaps you knew this already? If so, fine. Other's might find it New to them. Either way.....

Grab those words before ya lose them! I'll be here ready to read ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

WhiteNoise wrote:Dave in ref to your last sentence above, responding time does time out. How many minutes does one have? I'm not sure, but I do know a way around losing all that you type.

When you start realizing that you're writing more more more and that time is fleeing, jump on that "Draft" button, the one just below the reply box (the one you're typing in). Your response will then be sent & saved in your draft file.
Afterwards, go to your profile and look for your draft file. Once found open it. Then open the topic you sent there. You can now complete your response, review it and submit it. Nothing lost.

PRINT this if you like.
Give it a try next time. I'm often in a gabby mood :lol: so using the draft button has been a savior. You'll find a draft button on most forums. Perhaps you knew this already? If so, fine. Other's might find it New to them. Either way.....

Good to know.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

WhiteNoise wrote:Dave in ref to your last sentence above, responding time does time out. How many minutes does one have? I'm not sure, but I do know a way around losing all that you type.

PRINT this if you like.

Thanks for letting me know... i didn't know about that

its not so much about a time out, it's my stupid laptop. Lenovo ideapad for some reason just disconnects from the wifi randomly without warning.
I have googled it and it seems to be an issue with this loptop i just can't figure out how to fix it :D

:lol:
tjupille
Color: red

Post by tjupille »

What I do is to compose my reply in a text editor (e..g., Notepad in Windows or DroidEdit) and then copy/paste it in to the reply box here. That avoids the whole time-out problem.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

WhiteNoise wrote:Dave in ref to your last sentence above, responding time does time out. How many minutes does one have? I'm not sure, but I do know a way around losing all that you type. ...
I've not had a "time-out" issue since I checked the "keep me signed in" box when I logged in.
What I do have trouble with is the very short editing time after you've submitted a post. Is there any way to extend that??
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

Eiron wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Dave in ref to your last sentence above, responding time does time out. How many minutes does one have? I'm not sure, but I do know a way around losing all that you type. ...
I've not had a "time-out" issue since I checked the "keep me signed in" box when I logged in.
What I do have trouble with is the very short editing time after you've submitted a post. Is there any way to extend that??
Most forums usually delete the edit option once a new reply is added...
A good thing in my opinion.
The preview button is useful ;)
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

Davepcx wrote: Most forums usually delete the edit option once a new reply is added...
A good thing in my opinion.
The preview button is useful ;)
True, but I think this forum actually has a timer function? So even if no one's replied you end up locked out of your own post.
And yes, the preview function extends/resets the time-out. :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Cool suggestions guys!! Ya'll have figured some things out :P Thanks for the tips n tricks!

As Mod, I can't change the editing time-out. Sorry.
Try what others have said here. I kinda like that idea of Typing elsewhere, where you cut n paste text into our forums message box.

I've made it a habit to Preview (proofread) my text before clicking the submit button, that helps solve editing 95% of the time. The other 5% would be a new "thought" that came to mind that I wanted to include. o_O Then it's Hurry up! your window of time is elasping!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I use one of my many Samsung tablets most of the time, and my biggest problem is the autocorrect, which makes corrections that it likes but may not be at all what I wrote. I will get the wording just right, then press the submit button and watch the words change before my eyes. Then I have to edit it as quickly as I can, press the submit button again, and hope it doesn't change the words again...which it does. In some cases there is a check mark that comes up that allows you to accept a word the way you entered it. At other times, no check mark and it is going to enter whatever it wants. Some of the sentences end up making no sense and I have to delete the entire response. However, I am getting better at stopping that gremlin. A quick eye and a quick hand will stop that critter. :lol:
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

My friend bought a 2018 pcx today and since I just bought a new phone with a camera that works properly lol thought I'd add couple pics...
20180608_172325-800x600.jpg
20180608_172325-800x600.jpg (184.92 KiB) Viewed 515 times
20180608_172334-800x600.jpg
20180608_172334-800x600.jpg (203.42 KiB) Viewed 515 times
I do like the new digital clocks and the wider rear wheel but some parts do seem a little more flimsy than my 2017 model.

His is the slower model as well. White is definitely faster :lol: