Sure looks like a FORZA -sad business

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Sure looks like a FORZA -sad business

Post by fish »

I blew up the photos - but this sure looks like this involved a 422 lb Forza.
Tragic.
Fish
http://www.news4jax.com/news/crash-with ... e/32522774
Vesper2112
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Re: Sure looks like a FORZA -sad business

Post by Vesper2112 »

Sure does... Yeah, sad...
That's normally the time I'm riding in to work, so potentially dealing with stray possums or even deer is a very real concern. I can't even imagine hitting a person. Man... Tragic indeed.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

At 5:43 in the morning the guy stepped out into the street? There don't seem to be any crosswalks where the accident was.
Well, I have seen headlines here in Atlanta where people have tried to cross the freeways and have gotten hit that early in the morning. I have also seen headlines here of people crossing where there aren't pedestrian crossing signs, and they were hit as well. We as riders can not determine what the individual will do who is standing on the sideline/sidewalk. I feel sorry for the rider, as well as any relatives of the man who was hit and killed, but he should NOT have tried to cross in a no crossing zone. We have a friend whose mother tried to cross in exactly the same type of area of road and was hit as well. She died at the scene. Extended turn lanes are particularly bad. Drivers usually don't slow down in them, so a pedestrian is taking his life in his hands trying to cross there.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I wonder if this is the intersection where the accident occurred?

https://goo.gl/maps/5J6s7

Then there is a pedestrian crosswalk at the intersection, but the pedestrian was at least 60 yards short of that crossing.

Quite sad regardless. I hope the rider survives.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Drive with-in your lights.....if you aren't, you're going "too fast for the conditions".
Perhaps the pedestrian bolted into the path.....which would change everything.
Fish
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Is it still dark in Florida at 5:45am? Sunrise in Vancouver is at 6AM, and we're legally allowed to ride without headlights on at 5:30am.

How are the Forza's headlights? One huge factor of choosing an 11-14 CBR 125R over the 07-09 were the 55/60W H4s versus 35W headlights.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Years ago I was driving my car when a woman holding a bag stepped out between parked cars and actually walked into my car, I heard this horrible gut-wrenching thump and thought "God I've killed her. I got out of my car feeling sick to my stomach and could hardly walk, thinking I had killed or at least badly injured her. I looked up to see the lady standing there rubbing her hand and leg. Turns out she had a bowling ball in the bag and she was late to meet her friends. it appears her only injuries were a sore hand and bruised leg where the ball hit. She apologised profusely for her dumb actions. It took me days to get over the shock and I can only imagine how you would feel if you accidently killed someone. It would haunt you forever.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

dkazzed wrote:Is it still dark in Florida at 5:45am? Sunrise in Vancouver is at 6AM, and we're legally allowed to ride without headlights on at 5:30am.

How are the Forza's headlights? One huge factor of choosing an 11-14 CBR 125R over the 07-09 were the 55/60W H4s versus 35W headlights.
Don't know what those lights are - but I think the Forza has very good lighting. I ride to work in all kinds of weather - and always in the dark.
Fish
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Looking at that spot - unless the person stepped out last minute, I find it hard to believe someone crossing could not be seen before you hit them. Even at night your eyes adjust enough to see things quite well, especially with open spaces and a many land road. There did not seem to be losts of buildings either side of the lanes.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

All very tragic. Must have been hard to see the ped in the dark. Wish people would take better care. :(
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

Too many obstacles can appear out of no where in the night like our deer overpopulation. I take the SUV.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
stephen

Post by stephen »

dkazzed wrote:I wonder if this is the intersection where the accident occurred?

https://goo.gl/maps/5J6s7

Then there is a pedestrian crosswalk at the intersection, but the pedestrian was at least 60 yards short of that crossing.
Looks like the spot. Perhaps right in front of that McDonald's is where the tape is.

* The article does not mention the direction of the pedestrian. He could have been coming off the median or the sidewalk.
* At 5:43, dawn isn't for another 40 minutes or so.
* Guy could have darted in front of the rider just after a car had passed.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

tbln930 wrote:Too many obstacles can appear out of no where in the night like our deer overpopulation. I take the SUV.

Good for you, works for pedestrians too.
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

I wonder...if the pedestrian didn't have great vision, and only saw one headlight, he may have thought it was a car that was far enough away that he had time to cross.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Kermit wrote:I wonder...if the pedestrian didn't have great vision, and only saw one headlight, he may have thought it was a car that was far enough away that he had time to cross.
That is a big possibility.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

What's the speed limit in areas like that? For the person hit to have died and the rider have serious injuries (from a couple of reports about this incident), it seems some speed was in evidence.
speedandstyle
Regular User
Regular User

Post by speedandstyle »

Sad indeed. Many people{pedestrians and riders alike} simply don't think let alone look. Hard to put the blame totally on either person and most likely both were partially to blame. I would hate to have to think about the mental strain of having accidentally killing someone.
iceman wrote:What's the speed limit in areas like that? For the person hit to have died and the rider have serious injuries (from a couple of reports about this incident), it seems some speed was in evidence.
People have died from falling in the tub so even a slow speed can be deadly. It all depends on where and how you get hit and/or land.