Rear Shocks

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: WHITE

Re: Rear Shocks

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

fish wrote:Have read many a complaint about the rear suspension of a scooter.
It is what it is.....Look at what all is carried by that rear suspension.
Also have read any number of reviews by scooter riders who have invested a lot of money into after-market shocks....and every now and then I read a refreshing comment on this matter of after-market shocks: "Nothing changed. it is a scooter!" (it is hard to admit that the $ was wasted - and that the stock factory shock is not 'crap' - but actually a pretty good piece of kit from the people who build these scooters) The design of after-market shocks also do not match the rest of the scooter - which impresses some....like the generic, louder, mufflers that fit everything and cost a bundle and look mismatched to the scooter/bike. (foreign sticker makes it better, yes?!).

It is a scooter - with the engine ,gears, CVT and the rear wheel banging up and down as a unit....

Usually adjusting the pre-load, and running recommended PSI in the tires, is the best bet for handling and ride on a scooter.Fish
I totally agree.
I suggest to the fellow who asked the question to put the preload instead of the position 3 it comes from the factory to 1 . I believe it's the same suspension to SH 300. If you put it to 1 you will see difference without sacrifice anything of the behaviour of the scooter.

There are other solutions but they cost a lot of money.
Wasted money in my opinion.

I have the preload to 1 for 5 and a half years now and i have no complaints with one or two persons on board.

fish said the rest just right.
If you don't like it with preload to 1 or to LOW then you must consider buying another type of moto like an on off.
A HONDA 750 DCT for example.
HONDA PCX 125 /2015 - HONDA PCX 150/2016
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

you you wrote:
fish wrote:Have read many a complaint about the rear suspension of a scooter.
It is what it is.....Look at what all is carried by that rear suspension.
Also have read any number of reviews by scooter riders who have invested a lot of money into after-market shocks....and every now and then I read a refreshing comment on this matter of after-market shocks: "Nothing changed. it is a scooter!" (it is hard to admit that the $ was wasted - and that the stock factory shock is not 'crap' - but actually a pretty good piece of kit from the people who build these scooters) The design of after-market shocks also do not match the rest of the scooter - which impresses some....like the generic, louder, mufflers that fit everything and cost a bundle and look mismatched to the scooter/bike. (foreign sticker makes it better, yes?!).

It is a scooter - with the engine ,gears, CVT and the rear wheel banging up and down as a unit....

Usually adjusting the pre-load, and running recommended PSI in the tires, is the best bet for handling and ride on a scooter.Fish
Yes I know it's a scooter...I didn't buy it expecting a Cadilac. I was hoping, tho, for something a bit more comfortable then a buckboard! I also have an Elite 250 and it rides better (softer) despite the shorter wheelbase and smaller tires. The Forza shocks are set at "1" and the rear tire is a 150/70 oversize tire so have it at the low pressure setting. So...if someone out there who weighs no more then 150-160 pounds has found a shock/spring combo that has noticeably improved the ride, please share!
TechFrog

Post by TechFrog »

SteveP wrote:
TechFrog wrote:My biggest complaint with the Forza were the rear shocks. Probably the worst stock suspension on any Honda I've owned. After much research, I ended up with Malossi shocks and it completely transforms the scooter. I also changed the rubber to Dunlop SX01. At the time of my purchase, they didn't make the correct size for Forza, so I went up a step and fit and ride are fantastic. As great as that upgrade was, the Malossi shocks were the biggest improvement.

Side bonus: The adjustment for spring load on the Malossi's are on top instead of on bottom like the stock. So now, it's easy to adjust!!!
My biggest and only significant gripe with the Forza is the ride at the rear. I'd like to get something "softer" as far as the rear shock/spring goes. I weigh about 145 pounds, so am not overpowering the stock shocks. I'd be interested in trying the Malossi shocks if they'd help. So, if you find the ride much improved and don't mind saying...what do you weigh? Thanks
Sorry for the delay. I weigh 200 pounds and I felt like I was riding a hardtail with the stock shocks. If you're only 145, you'll see a bigger improvement than me since you don't have even my extra weight pushing against the stock very stiff shocks. The difference is night and day. I'm not exaggerating. I've owned maybe 18-20 motorcycles and scooters and even raced moto/supercross when I was younger. I know what suspension is supposed to feel like. Honda simply cut corners on the rear shocks like they have to do here and there likely to keep costs down.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Sorry for the delay. I weigh 200 pounds and I felt like I was riding a hardtail with the stock shocks. If you're only 145, you'll see a bigger improvement than me since you don't have even my extra weight pushing against the stock very stiff shocks. The difference is night and day. I'm not exaggerating. I've owned maybe 18-20 motorcycles and scooters and even raced moto/supercross when I was younger. I know what suspension is supposed to feel like. Honda simply cut corners on the rear shocks like they have to do here and there likely to keep costs down.
I agree 100% and had YSS z-shocks waiting for me when the PCX was delivered. In the 70s I sold Honda motorcycles for three years , and we referred to every STREET bike we had AS having "fish oil shocks" i.e shocks that just didn't have much reservoir or good oil in them. Back then it Konis we swapped out if the cust really wanted a better ride.

And the PCX Was no different, I rode it for a week while I was doing other mods before I put the shocks on: night and day difference.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mario
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Mario »

Delighted to see someone who knows where he is talking about 8)
Jge64 wrote:

I agree 100% and had YSS z-shocks waiting for me when the PCX was delivered. In the 70s I sold Honda motorcycles for three years , and we referred to every STREET bike we had AS having "fish oil shocks" i.e shocks that just didn't have much reservoir or good oil in them. Back then it Konis we swapped out if the cust really wanted a better ride.

And the PCX Was no different, I rode it for a week while I was doing other mods before I put the shocks on: night and day difference.
May the Forza be with you!!
TechFrog

Post by TechFrog »

Jge64 wrote:

Funny thing is, I have a NC700X and a PCX150 as well as my Forza300. I have no real issues with the suspension on the PCX or the NC700X. They're not perfect, but acceptable. Only the Forza's rear shocks needed to be thrown off the end of the earth. Mission accomplished. :)
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

TechFrog wrote:
SteveP wrote:
TechFrog wrote:My biggest complaint with the Forza were the rear shocks. Probably the worst stock suspension on any Honda I've owned. After much research, I ended up with Malossi shocks and it completely transforms the scooter. I also changed the rubber to Dunlop SX01. At the time of my purchase, they didn't make the correct size for Forza, so I went up a step and fit and ride are fantastic. As great as that upgrade was, the Malossi shocks were the biggest improvement.

Side bonus: The adjustment for spring load on the Malossi's are on top instead of on bottom like the stock. So now, it's easy to adjust!!!
My biggest and only significant gripe with the Forza is the ride at the rear. I'd like to get something "softer" as far as the rear shock/spring goes. I weigh about 145 pounds, so am not overpowering the stock shocks. I'd be interested in trying the Malossi shocks if they'd help. So, if you find the ride much improved and don't mind saying...what do you weigh? Thanks

Thanks for your update...sorry this is a bit late in response. It's winter here now so won't be riding the Forza again till probably March (the 86 Elite is ready, tho, should we get some 50 degree, sunny days). Will look for some good deals on Malossi shocks this winter.