Transmission slippage?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

LaloF
Year: 2011
Color: white

Transmission slippage?

Post by LaloF »

Just bought a used PCV125 with 6,000 mi on it. I'm new to automatic transmissions and scooters. I don't know how much slippage is typical when accelerating from a stop. It may be normal, I don't know. I don't even know if the correct term is slippage. It's just that when I turn the accelerator handle, the scooter does not seem to take off with the first increase in RPM's. I didn't notice it as much when I test rode the scooter at purchase. I suppose I could take it to Honda and have someone test ride it. Any feedback is appreciated.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Transmission slippage?

Post by waspmike »

First thing that happens is the engine revs increase to about 1500-2000-ish rpm and then the clutch starts to bite and the scooter starts to move, at between 3000 -4000-ish the clutch stops slipping as the the revs continue to about 6500-7000- ish and the scooter continues to accelerate. The revs will stay constant at 6500-7000-sh until the scooter reaches about 50mph. If you reduce throttle before 50 mph the revs will drop a bit and the scooter will continue at the speed you reached.

So yes, it does seem like there is something slipping but it is not. Unless you have a glazed or worn clutch and a worn transmission belt. If the scooter won't do more than 50mph on a flat road, maybe but it might be perfectly normal. The manual says inspect the belt at 5,000 replace at 15,000, clutch wear doesn't have a number so they last a long time. If you live near Honda OK but I wouldn't make a special trip until you reach 7500 which is your next scheduled service.

Someone who has a tach can give you the exact numbers but as you don't have a tach!

Manual is here. http://www.motorcycle.in.th/filemgmt/vi ... eD&page=12
LaloF
Year: 2011
Color: white

Re: Transmission slippage?

Post by LaloF »

Thank you!
Very helpful.