seat damper

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

oliver
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: red

seat damper

Post by oliver »

I took my Forza to the dealer yesterday for the latest recall work and now my seat doesn't stay up when it's lifted. I know I can take it back and have them fix it but it's quite a trek and I don't want to spend another 3 hours in their waiting room.

Presumably they took the seat off to get to the fuel pump so could it be a problem with how they assembled it back together? Is this something a novice could somehow adjust?

The instructions I have for seat removal are:

REMOVAL/INSTALLATION
Open the seat.
Remove the joint [1] and the opener damper [2] from the seat [3].
Remove caps [4], nuts [5] and seat.

I know there's no picture here but it looks like the joint [1] and damper [2] just pull out. Is that correct?

Is there some kind of trick like having the seat fully up when you re-attach?
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Re: seat damper

Post by MBMyer »

The seat damper is known to have problems, and those problems are worse when the ambient temperature is colder. I had mine changed under warranty, but the new one is still insufficient. Check out this thread and my current imperfect solution:
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&p=95217#p95217
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
oliver
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza

Post by oliver »

Thanks... I've been finding a few other threads about it on here too. Perhaps it is the temperature after all and I didn't notice it before.

I wish that seat worked like a dishwasher door where it stayed at the position you left it at.
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SteveP »

I removed the seat damper last year to see if I could find a way to add a spring to it to give it more holding stremgth. Couldn't, so put it back. It worked a little on warm days before removing it...hasn't worked at all since then! I think someone here claimed Honda has an improved, stronger one for replacement... but not sure. So far I haven't tried a new one...jut holding seat up with my hand. Temped to go with a stick!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Not sure it's a seat damper or even dampener :D :D o_O . Perhaps a strut or brace?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Call it what you will, but I have been calling it a huge annoyance. But no more! Thanks to the encouragement of Obayan in another thread on this topic, I had the "damper, opener", replaced (part 83590-K04-932) while Forza was at the dealer for the latest fuel pump recall. I was within three weeks of warranty, so there was no charge. The seat actually stays up! We shall see about colder temps (it is currently 50 F), but it feels far more secure.

As far as the OP - you might try to loosen the bolts on the hinge slightly and see if you can get the holes on the seat part of the hinge as far back as possible. There might be a couple of mm play in the bolt holes, and it may be helpful to give the "damper, opener" as much leverage as it can get.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
MBMyer
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by MBMyer »

GeorgeSK wrote:The seat actually stays up! We shall see about colder temps (it is currently 50 F), but it feels far more secure.
I had mine replaced under warranty, but it still doesn't work in cold weather. I've installed a marine hatch spring.
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=21& ... 900#p95900

Michael
Current ride: 2014 Forza bought new in mid-2015 with only 15K on the clock
Traded in: 2003 GL1800 with 152K and several IBA rides on the clock
6 other previous bikes
nearly 3/4 million miles logged
now just commuting instead of touring
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

MBMyer solution works a treat...problem solved.