Fitting Oxford heated grips.

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Fitting Oxford heated grips.

Post by glencoeman »

I need to wire in a set of Oxford Heated grips to my Forza. Is the red 4 point multi plug at the rear of the fuse boxes (above the right hand glovebox) an accessory plug where I can wire in electrical accessories? If anyone has used it, are all 4 live or is one connection for an earth lead? Thanks in anticipation. I cannot find a wiring diagram to verify what purpose the plug is used for anywhere. It could be the connection for plugging in the computer.
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Re: Fitting Oxford heated grips.

Post by BRed »

It is. The 4 point plug you mention is the OnBoard Diagnostics port.
For grip heaters, since they are high amp draw, they will probably need a direct connection to the battery.

On the non-ABS Forzas, there is an empty fuse socket that would normally feed the 3rd (or ABS specific) fusebox.
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

Thanks for the reply. Mine is an ABS model, so I will have to wire direct to the battery.
riderthailand
Year: 2014
Color: Grey

Post by riderthailand »

I have done this modification wiring directly to the battery
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

I would suggest wiring the grips into the bike by way of a relay turned on by any engine on circuit (in my case the running lights) with the grips fed through the relay. This way forgetting to turn off the grips will not result in finding a dead battery when coming back to the bike.
Honda 2014 Forza 300 (ABS)
Honda 1995 Elite 80 (Sold)
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

I had thought of using a relay but the Oxford grips automatically shuts off if the voltage drops low, thus avoiding a flat battery.
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

Sounds like a good feature. Makes installation easier.
Honda 2014 Forza 300 (ABS)
Honda 1995 Elite 80 (Sold)
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Just finished fitting a set of Datatool heated grips to the Forza today...fairly simple really but a bit of a "faff" feeding the wires through the front of the scooter...and I needed to work on the accelerator grip to get the new grip onto that side...but all now working...I chose Datatool as it has a thumb operated push switch with 4 settings so easier to work when riding and keeping hands on the grips .....and they turn off with engine turning off so no risk of flattening my battery ...I hope!
Got a good deal on ebay.
With my previous Honda 125 cc SWing I fitted Oxford heated grips which worked well enough and had a cut out so saving the battery but with the SWing battery being at the back of the bike the wiring was too short...I had to extend...
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Just finished installing some Oxford Touring Heated grips today. These installed easily on the PCX in under 4 hours and I really took my time. These units have an auto shut off after 3 min once you turn off the bike. At 30% they were cozy warm. Will give a review after a couple of weeks use.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!