How-To: Change Your Seat

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)
Color: White

PCX SEAT CHANGE - HOW TO

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

I thought I would post this 'How To' to help anyone thinking of changing their seat on their PCX (possibly for a 'non-hump' version like I have.)

Apologies in advance for the average quality 'phone pics.

I bought my new seat from: http://www.powerbypcx.com

This is the one I ordered: http://www.powerbypcx.com/achat-selle-t ... 69418.html

It cost me £121 including delivery/shipping and taxes/duty.

http://www.powerbypcx.com/achat-selle-t ... 69418.html

It is very well made/stitched in a sort of 'carbon look' material

They use genuine Honda seat bases and retrim . . .

You can see the holes where the 'hump' bolts normally go . . .

The new seat has the lock 'hoop' attached as well - so no messing about required there . . .

Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: PCX SEAT CHANGE - HOW TO

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

The job itself is really easy . . .

After unlocking the seat, tip it fully forward and locate the two nuts holding it to the hinge . . .

(Circled in red)

With a 10mm socket, remove the nuts . . .

And then remove the seat by slipping the studs from the holes in the hinge.

Once off, turn the original seat over and carefully remove the rubber seal . . .

Then, install the seal in the new/replacement seat, with the join at the front (hinge end) of the seat . . . there is a channel in the seat base that holds the seal very snug - it's very easy to replace/fit.

Then slide the two studs on the new seat into/through the hinge, slip the nuts on and tighten using the socket.

That's it! Your done! No more Quasimodo!

(Hope this helps.)

:)
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Thanks Mr. Rascal. That is a nice looking seat. It is good to see that the original seat gasket is not glued onto the seat and comes off easily and that Power By PCX uses authentic Honda seat bases. That should reduce any fitment problems.

Did you lose any under seat storage with the new seat? My helmet barely fits in there now.
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

GeezyRider wrote:Did you lose any under seat storage with the new seat? My helmet barely fits in there now.
No dude, it's exactly the same.

Same base, same space. :)
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Some of the aftermarket seats use a different base with a lower seat height. I also found that this seat requires adjusting the seat latch by pushing it up against the bolts that hold it on to latch easier. I know there is not much there however there is enough to make a difference in how they close. You can do this easily with a ratcheting 10mm box end wrench. Loosen the bolts until the latch moves around and then pull up on the latch while tightening down the bolts.
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Some of the aftermarket seats use a different base with a lower seat height. I also found that this seat requires adjusting the seat latch by pushing it up against the bolts that hold it on to latch easier. I know there is not much there however there is enough to make a difference in how they close. You can do this easily with a ratcheting 10mm box end wrench. Loosen the bolts until the latch moves around and then pull up on the latch while tightening down the bolts.
This (my) seat ^ required no adjustment at all - totally 'like for like' (same base.) :)
hatari
Regular User
Regular User

Post by hatari »

my only reservations with aftermarket seats is that there can be a huge diference in the quality.....

A lot of seat companies use a cheap seat base which is flimsey and doesn't shut properly...and to add insult to injury, can leak....

i've also seen ones that leak through the stiching, meaning the foam quickly becomes wet and the seat starts to smell......

if at all possible, imho - get your originall honda one recovered/restyled and be careful who does the work...

As they say down the local fish market..."Caviar Temptor".....
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

hatari wrote: A lot of seat companies use a cheap seat base which is flimsey and doesn't shut properly...and to add insult to injury, can leak....
The one above ^ uses a genuine Honda base.

And the 'trimming'/'re-covering' is superb in my opinion.

I did 20 miles on it yesterday (the weather here has been crap - and I only ride for pleasure, not 'commuting') - it's way better than the factory seat - for me at least. :)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Re: How-To: Change Your Seat

Post by maddiedog »

Moved this to the proper subforum. Thanks for the helpful how-to. :D

If your aftermarket seat did not come with trim, see here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2108
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
towdie
Year: 2010
Color: Silver

Re: How-To: Change Your Seat

Post by towdie »

Are tho photos still available somewhere?