How-To "Tip:" For DIY Tire Changers

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

How-To "Tip:" For DIY Tire Changers

Post by flyingzonker »

I suppose that most of us here have our tires replaced professionally. Makes sense but some of us are either too cheap or too independent or too pig headed or masochistic or I don't know what, and for these latter I post this little piece of information.

Before I continue I have to say that even more important than the tip I am about to give is this one: Always use Murphy's Oil Soap to lubricate the rim and edges of the tire.

This morning I changed the front tire that came stock on my 2013 PCX. These tires, IRC, are stiffer than the devil's willy. I struggled and struggled and finally got the tire off. I had had enough for a while so I decided to go out in the car for a while and come back to put the new tire on when I got back. On a whim I took the new tire and rim out into the front yard and left them in the sun, vaguely remembering something from one of the videos I had watched detailing a procedure for tire changing I had seen some time ago on Youtube. The video presenter said emphatically that the temperature of the tire made all the difference. When I came back 2 hours later I found that he was right.

As soon as I put my car away I went over to the tire and found that the rim and tire were hot from sitting 2 hours in direct midday sunlight. So, I started to work. In 10 minutes I had the tire on the rim. It was just as heavily built as the tire I had removed 2 hours earlier but apparently having been sun heated made this tire more elastic.

Take from this what you will, but for me, it was a minor revelation. I will never again change a cold tire. Never, either, will I try to change tires min seasons other than high summer.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Re: a tip for diy tire changers

Post by flyingzonker »

I see that I misspelled the title for this post but can't find, for the life of me, any option to edit it. So I will just say the dyi in the title should be diy
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

flyingzonker wrote:I see that I misspelled the title for this post but can't find, for the life of me, any option to edit it. So I will just say the dyi in the title should be diy
Thats ok, I am dyslexic, so it read perfectly :D

By the way, thanks for the tip, I am planning on changing my own tires in the near future. Tired of paying high shop fees.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Heat and expansion is definitely helpful and key, but also using enough screwdrivers or spoons are also helpful by taking little bites each time.. Another point is that nobody will do a scooter tire at last around here and the only place I can find was a HONDA dealer that would do it.. Not even Harley would do it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:Heat and expansion is definitely helpful and key, but also using enough screwdrivers or spoons are also helpful by taking little bites each time.. Another point is that nobody will do a scooter tire at last around here and the only place I can find was a HONDA dealer that would do it.. Not even Harley would do it.

Spoons and screwdrivers o_O o_O
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

flyingzonker wrote:I see that I misspelled the title for this post but can't find, for the life of me, any option to edit it. So I will just say the dyi in the title should be diy
Us moderators are able to edit the subject line, so I did it for you, no problem.

Thanks for the diy tip. I also moved it to PCX How-To so it should be a little easier to locate at a later date.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Martin J
Year: 2018
Color: Black

Post by Martin J »

I've always changed my own tyres on everything from a 50cc bws up to a 900 diversion. I find the hardest bit is breaking the bead seal, using a metal wedge and a length of 3x4 as a lever under the car towbar.
After that it's plain sailing, just use plenty of tyre soap to lubricate the bead when refitting.
Yamaha 900 Diversion '96
Suzuki GS550E '81
Benelli TRK502 '21
Honda PCX 125 '18
joaosol123
Year: 2012
Color: white

Post by joaosol123 »

Great tip, planning on using that on my next tire change.
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

Anyone ever try the zip tie method for changing PCX tires?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9MpgD-xIjg
Cycleruss
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

Post by Cycleruss »

To really get your new tires warmed up so you can get them on easier.
Place them in a black plastic bag, and put it in the sun.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Cycleruss wrote:To really get your new tires warmed up so you can get them on easier.
Place them in a black plastic bag, and put it in the sun.

Sun? What's that?
towdie
Year: 2010
Color: Silver

Post by towdie »

Zip-tie method look really cool.. :D