Off To See The Lizard

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Off To See The Lizard

Post by Driller »

Over the years I have ridden different bikes out to Deals Gap. A notorious stretch of road that offers a stimulating ride. It has earned the name "The Tail of the Dragon"

Yesterday offered perfect weather for a solo jaunt out to the West so the PCX and I could play. It was said somewhere "it's about the journey, not the destination". The route chosen offered a package of some of the best riding I have done in a long time. The "Dragon" was the jolt of adrenaline in the middle, but coming and going was a feast of curves and beautiful scenery.

Beautiful cascades abound in the area......

Actually had some twit try to shoo me out from under the falls....messing up her photo. :lol:

Transylvania County has many waterfalls but no sign of Count Vlad.

Cutting across Wayah Rd from Franklin towards Robbinsville, this caught my eye.

"Tamale" jumped out at me and I circled back to try one. Muy delicioso!

Arriving at the beginning of "the Dragon"on highway 129 I parked amidst a sea of chrome.

A pic proving I really was there.
;)

Traffic was light coming and going over the Gap. Some days it can be crowded and pretty harrowing with squids ripping past in dangerous places or parades of slow moving cruisers. On holidays and weekends it can be difficult to find a place to park at the store.
I have to say, this was one of the most satisfying runs. The PCX made it seem so easy!
One more look......

A long day was only half over and it was time to head home.
Highway 28 from The Gap down to Franklin was superb. So many beautiful curves, sweepers and scenery makes one wonder why all the fuss about this "Dragon".

Arriving home thirteen hours after leaving with 342 miles on the trip meter I was bushed! A rough estimate of time in the saddle gave a moving average of a bit over 35-mph.
Fill ups calculated out between 85-90 mpg which surprised me since the PCX was getting flogged most of the way. The little 125 certainly has heart!
Enjoy!
Driller
snake

Re: Off To See The Lizard

Post by snake »

Great pics, looks like a fun day in gorgeous scenery. Feeling jealous in my grey city.
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Thanks for sharing your pictures and narrative. You made my morning coffee even more enjoyable!

Don
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

Here is the "Vanity" photo. There are a couple of outfits that take pics of the bikes and autos that make the run through the "Gap".

former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

Looks like a super ride. Also, the riding picture above is fantastic. It almost makes me want to photoshop my own face inside your helmet.
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Good riding form! Nice flat wrist and your eyes are looking at where you want to go.

But I gotta ask, how did you get the handle "Driller"? Are you a dentist in real life?

Don
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Awesome, just awesome! I hear so much about the dragon and All the other twisties there! Great photo's and what a beautiful day you had! 8) Here I ride boring straight & level pot holed vehicle crowded roads :( I miss the south.
Driller, what is that stretch of white balls in photo #8 ....the thingy's up in the sky?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Driller
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Driller »

You guessed correctly, Don. Retired now. Some riding friends awarded me that "handle" several years ago when I lived in Maine.

Thanks, WN, those are warning markers on power lines for aircraft that might come through. That is one of the reservoirs on the Tennessee river. There is a dam just to the right.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Now ain't that something! I would have never guessed. If fact IF I told you what I thought it was, you/others would LOL :oops:
Thanks for that, I'm feeling smarter already :) and that sure is a Dam good idea! Were there Ever any accidents prior to hanging the markers (that you know of)?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Looks like a fun trip. It's been a couple of years since I rode the Dragon, this makes me want to go up and ride it again soon. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes