Blessing of the Bikes; Baldwin, MI 2014

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Blessing of the Bikes; Baldwin, MI 2014

Post by MichRocks »

The rain that the weathermen predicted didn't come. It was replaced by some bitterly cold wind that blew throughout the weekend, but blue sky forced me out to find the Blessing of the Bikes, up in Baldwin, Michigan. A couple of past reports actually showed a Vespa attending, so I figured I probably wouldn't be alone on a scoot. :lol: Was I wrong! For the two days I was there, I was the only ambassador of our breed here as far as I could see. This is a heavy-iron showcase, and even the families with kids riding together showed up on Harleys.

I packed up my Forza with all the usual accessories: 50 lbs of electronics, a sandwich bag of cashews, a change of socks, a bottle of Jack, and I was ready to go. I have been on the slabs a bit lately, but really wanted to see the center of the state so I picked a new GPS route that didn't include freeways. Back roads are beautiful and plentiful here, and surprisingly- nearly deserted. On some of the routes I only saw two cars within an hour. This was on a Saturday, so I would have expected that more people would be out, but maybe the wind kept them inside. Should have kept me inside, but I'm crazy.

The route took me into a velvety green world that rapidly evolved from pastoral farmland scenes into a heavily wooded landscape. Other than plowing, paved roads here are poorly maintained, and a watchful eye is needed to keep from becoming a statistic. I read this morning that the only fatality of the three-day outing took place on the opening day of the event, when some unfortunate rider hit a pothole and crashed. Really sad.

On thing about Michigan, and GPS. You never know when you are going to leave paved highway. This is the only time I wished for different tires (or 'tyres' for across the ponders) on the scoot. The beautifully smooth grippers that the bike glides around on on-pavement become a set of skiis on gravel, and the normally steady-as-she-goes traction turns into a wild ride on a marshmallow. Even a lot of dirt experience doesn't help when turning the bars doesn't guarantee a change of direction of the bike. My forward velocity dropped to a steady 40mph through this section, which seemed as if it would never end. My GoPro didn't fall off once, but the quality of the video looks like I had handheld the camera after polishing off the Jack. Regardless, some editing, and I should have 10 or 15 good minutes of the two-hour section.

Stupid aside, even these farm-trails were excellent, leading to a lot of stopping for photo-ops. Turns out the biggest challenge I had for the entire weekend was trying to find a small subset of pictures to post. As a result, I will post some here, and soon, will load my website of more, plus video for those wanting to explore more.

The route took me past a lot of lakes, with the road crossing peninsulas between bodies of water, and at other times, past ponds and lakes on both sides.

I kept stopping to snap some pictures and grab my nuts. Uh, cashews. The back-roads kept getting deeper and deeper into deserted territory, so I eventually bailed on the route I was going, found a paved road, and headed west to try to find a faster way north. As I approached a ridge where I suspected 37 North would be, I was confronted by a rumble through my helmet. Harleys. Once I crossed the ridge, I no longer needed a map. All roads went one place.

My original goal was to find lodging in Big Rapids, a small town 35 miles from the event (Baldwin was booked solid for a year), but my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to drop into the flow of bikes, head up to Baldwin first, then circle back around later in the evening.

Scooter Surprise

This bike surprised me, and does better than I thought it would. I guess I just don't push it much. It effortlessly slid to the frantic pace of the bikes which quickly closed in on both the forward and rear positions. At no time did I feel I was holding anyone up, and the only time one would jet past me was when they realized what I was riding, and they didn't want to be next to me in case someone saw them! Regardless, the sea of motorcycles filled the air with their throats, and it wasn't long that I saw locals on positions on top of ridges on both sides of the road. A single glance to them promoted a wave from them, and a wave back unleashed an air full of smiles, raised glasses of beer, and cheering to the bikes. It was like coming home to a place I had never been before...John Denver would be proud.

The town

The stream began to slow, and spaces became tighter as we approached the town. This was getting good. We were even greeted by smiles on the law enforcement officials that were watching the stream from the banks of the river of bikes. First, there were ten or more bikes parked side by side, then 50, then a steady stream of chrome and custom paint lined the streets. Everywhere I looked, vendors had set up shop, hawking leathers, bandanas, Harley jewelry, and custom chrome. Streams of bikes lined the streets, and a flurry of cycles zipped in every direction, in a din that announced we were here.

Wheelies and morons were dealt with swiftly and skillfully. A rare flashing light would appear and abruptly disappear, but there were no altercations or tension. Everywhere you looked were smiles, and loud voices proclaiming 'I am having a good time'. I quickly found a spot to park and disembark for a tour of the spirit that was everwhere.

Customs

Like any large bike show, this place had some amazing wheels. It didn't take much of a stroll to run across some gem, parked next to a gem, parked next to a...etc. One way to bring about a smile from complete strangers is to whip out a Nikon, kneel next to their amazing bike, and grab a shot. When I looked up, there would be the beaming owner, knowing he, or she, did good. When a particularly nice bike would roll up near me, I had to get in, grab the shot, and be out before the crowd closed in to stare.

Case in point: BossHoss. This trike was a particularly nice build, and the owner knew it. I was sandwiched up in a 'red-zone', when this rolled up.

Eye candy was everywhere, and time flew by until I realized I need a place to stay, but it was 35 miles away. Deer are abundant here, so I opted to find my way back to the room before dusk at 8:00pm. The ride soon became peaceful, and uneventful. I would return the next morning.

The next day offered even more eye candy, and eventually the procession began the crawl to the airport where the blessing was to be held. The field was beginning to fill, and the procession of bikes coming to the entry gate stretched as far as the eye could see into the woods.

I know what it is like to stay to the end of the event, and it isn't pretty. It mostly is like idling in place for an hour or two, while everybody sits in gridlock. Turns out I haven't ridden to 'The Lake' at Luddington yet, and there are photo ops galore waiting west of here, so I bailed out for the big water. Back on the road, bikers were found in pockets at rest stops, gas stations, and campgrounds across the next 10 miles, but the stream thinned. I soon found myself back in the wind, by myself.

Luddington turned out to be an amazing place, and I got to tour some state parks and grabbed some great shots before heading the 100 miles back home on the slab.

All in all, a great weekend, and now to get back to work for some well-deserved rest. After all, next weekend is Memorial day.

Break out the map.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Blessing of the Bikes; Baldwin, MI 2014

Post by kramnala58 »

Great pics and report. Thanks for sharing.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

kramnala58 wrote:Great pics and report. Thanks for sharing.
Likewise - enjoyed reading this and looking at the pics.
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Very nice! Thanks for taking us along.
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

This is great Mitch. Great write up along with the photos.
I enjoy posts like this.....
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: http://tinyurl.com/o9hqc4o
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Man, what a blast! Great pics and writeup... I'm jealous!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

8) Safe and Sound :P
A ride well done and told! Can't say much for the scooter turnout but it sure was nice to be a part of it with you. When "we" rode the path with water on both sides, I could smell the air. The gravel roads made me nervous...I'm glad You changed courses ;) I didn't dig the potholes either. But, Ya done good Mitch!
Now take a look back at that beautiful Trike pic again (#11 above) whadda think that Cowboy's face is saying? :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MichRocks »

Thanks guys!

The cowboy, eh? I can tell you that he didn't stare at it and say "...wow, just look over there, a nice little red scooter!" :lol:

The guy with the flag bandana is the owner and I heard the cowboy say "...yea, I heard that he did a good job, so I had to see it...".
In my language, that translates to "....I want it....I want it....I want it...."
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Awesome pictures. My husband was and I had planned on going to the Blessing of the Bikes at Starved Rock State Park in IL on March 31. Sadly it was a day too late. The day before the Hubby and I were out and for a ride. Rode about 140 miles and 3 miles from home a car came out in front of me and I went down and broke my shoulder.

We are planning for this next year for sure. By them I hope to have a larger scooter to take there.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

The Victory is really nice
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:8) Safe and Sound :P
A ride well done and told! Can't say much for the scooter turnout but it sure was nice to be a part of it with you. When "we" rode the path with water on both sides, I could smell the air. The gravel roads made me nervous...I'm glad You changed courses ;) I didn't dig the potholes either. But, Ya done good Mitch!
Now take a look back at that beautiful Trike pic again (#11 above) whadda think that Cowboy's face is saying? :roll:

I'm a bigger cliché than you?
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)
Color: White

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Nice pics and write-up. :)

Thanks for sharing. :)
MichRocks
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MichRocks »

you you wrote:The Victory is really nice
Yes, these are really nice bikes. The lens mm doesn't do the bike's size justice; other than a couple of other monsters here, these are definitely the largest cruisers on the road.

Here is one slug-of-chrome larger than the victory, and in fact, there is a silver victory parked behind it.

For 2 wheels on the ground, the only other bike that matches is would be a full-blown GoldWing. Here is a classic of that genre that is being properly used....

Katschamne-
Heal up! I have always heard that accidents usually occur within 5 miles of my home, that's why I moved. :D Hope you are back on 2 soon. What kind of scoot you thinking about? Not to be disloyal to the Forza, but the BV350 is sure a looker...

Fizzy-
I think I finally found a collection of bikes that is bigger than yours, and almost as nice! Almost...your scoots are amazing.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

you you wrote:

Good one ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Shhhh I conveniently forgot to ask my doctor if I can ride again. Although I can't go back to work yet, I'm already back on the scooter. Actually it doesn't bother me too much to ride the scooter as long as it's a short trip. Very windy day and bumpy roads makes it hurt.

I'm not a fan of the traditional scooter types like the Vespas or walk though designs. Unfortunately I won't be getting the Forza. I sat on the Forza and I found it all kinds of uncomfortable for me. I did looked at a few different scooters last week. I think I narrowed down my choices to the Burgman 400 or the Silver Wing. I think it will depend on what is available when I receive the money that is owned to me for my lost wages.

The Victory Vision is a sharp bike especially without the trunk on. It was on my husband's short list last year when he was looking for a new bike.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

katschamne wrote:I did looked at a few different scooters last week. I think I narrowed down my choices to the Burgman 400 or the Silver Wing.
I would never be one to tell you what to do, but this thought has crossed my mind in reading your posts. I am a relatively new bike rider myself (1½ years), and I don't think I feel comfortable enough to jump from the PCX to something as large as an S-Wing. According to your posts, you have already had two significant mishaps on the PCX. Do you think the S-Wing is a little too large to be considering at this time and that maybe the Burgman 400 might be a better next step? I am only asking this out of concern for your safety and well being, so I trust that you won't take offence in my suggestion.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Thank you for your concern. Actually I've only had one incident on the PCX and that was because someone pulled out in front of me and cut me off. The other was forgetting to put down a kickstand on a motorcycle(solved that problem). Chances are I will probably get the Burgman 400 but I will have to take both out for a ride. At this time itcs just based on sitting on them in a show room. Right now I shy away from any long trip with my hubby because the PCX is just too small for me and the type of driving we like to do. Around town the PCX is awesome. I'm not afraid of the power if I was looking at a motorcycle I know that a 250 is too small for me that I would be looking at a 500-600cc.
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Post by willajabir »

The Burgman 400 and the SWing are both good choices. Both have plenty of storage and power for the kind of ridding you describe.
To me the Burgman forum is friendly and helpful. The SWing forums are helpful, but both of them have a lot of bickering and clicks.
Good luck with your choice and please reply with your choice once it is made (with pics).
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: http://tinyurl.com/o9hqc4o
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MichRocks wrote:
you you wrote:The Victory is really nice
Yes, these are really nice bikes. The lens mm doesn't do the bike's size justice; other than a couple of other monsters here, these are definitely the largest cruisers on the road.

Here is one slug-of-chrome larger than the victory, and in fact, there is a silver victory parked behind it.

For 2 wheels on the ground, the only other bike that matches is would be a full-blown GoldWing. Here is a classic of that genre that is being properly used....

Katschamne-
Heal up! I have always heard that accidents usually occur within 5 miles of my home, that's why I moved. :D Hope you are back on 2 soon. What kind of scoot you thinking about? Not to be disloyal to the Forza, but the BV350 is sure a looker...

Fizzy-
I think I finally found a collection of bikes that is bigger than yours, and almost as nice! Almost...your scoots are amazing.
They do look bloody nice. Perhaps I'm getting old. I've probably got only one proper bike in me as I tend to keep them for 10 years plus. Victory or a new norton commando?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:
you you wrote:

Good one ;)

Didn't think I could make you blush :D