Humpty: De-humped stylishly.

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Humpty: De-humped stylishly.

Post by j.d.b. »

Yet another thread about the "hump" and what to do about it.
I stumbled across a small company in Pennsylvania run by a charming woman who makes(to order) seat covers for many (if not any) scooters. Aptly named "Cheeky Seats" (cheekyseatsdotcom).
After talking with Suzy, I went with this nice "tuck-and-roll" with red stitching to complete (in a reversible and comfy way) the removal of that notorious "hump". At first, I didn't mind the hump, much, but, the more I rode, the less I liked it. This cover has proven an excellent solution. I just got it on there and took it out for a ride. Yup, solved nicely. Suzy advises to "sun" it so the light creasing of shipping it folded will settle out. That appears to be happening. Good ole heavy vinyl!
After removing the hump, I filled in the low area in the pan, beneath the stock cover. This cover is padded in the ribbed areas on top and, with the padding I added where the hump was, now a proper and comfy mount. Lead time from my ordering to shipping was less than one day!
As she says: "Scoot on!"
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Humpty: De-humped stylishly.

Post by WhiteNoise »

Looks very nice, almost has a stock appearance. Ha! we'll never see a stock look like That coming out of the bin (well, not in my lifetime anywho :D ). Yes, I've heard of and been curious about a Cheeky Seat cover. Kudo's to you for giving Suzy a chance to prove her work.

Do you think we can get a look at the underside of your seat? Does it close okay now, or must you apply more/less pressure? I'm assuming she used marine vinyl?
Thanks and Cheers!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

Thanks!
Yes, it's "marine vinyl". I just know it as "heavy vinyl" from years past. The seat closure is unaffected. The cover uses a "rip-cord" sewn into the edge to tension or cinch it to the seat. On the left side block, it was laying over the edge and getting pinched so, I spaced a staple into the block to act as a hook to hold the material back. Here's some pix:
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

You still might want to remove the rest of the hump that is in the seat pan around the bolt holes.
ironcloudz
Color: black

Post by ironcloudz »

Dumb question from a mechanically challenged scooterite: how does one remove the seat hump? :oops:

thanks
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

It's held down by two nuts visible from the underside of the seat, just below the "hump". Those two holes you see in the underside of my pix were occupied by said nuts and studs.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Very nice, Use Aerospace 303 spray to care for it. Actually has sun block capabilities, great stuff for "marine vinyl".
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
ironcloudz

Post by ironcloudz »

j.d.b. wrote:It's held down by two nuts visible from the underside of the seat, just below the "hump". Those two holes you see in the underside of my pix were occupied by said nuts and studs.
thank you, I see them. I intend to order one soon. The hump actually serves a bit of functionality for me since the back pack I use to commute rests on it and removes any sort of strain on my back. But I can most likely adjust the pack to accommodate a humpless future.

-stu

........_o
......_\ \>,
....(_)/(_)
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

Cheeky offers all their covers with or without the "hump-option" should you want to keep it.
ironcloudz

Post by ironcloudz »

The Premium Scooter Seat Cover has the hump option:

https://scooterseatcovers.net/index.php ... cts_id=457

PCX PADDED Scooter Seat Cover:

https://scooterseatcovers.net/index.php ... cts_id=580

...does not appear to:

"With this seat cover, the padding cushions the plastic part where the "hump" mounted, and you will feel much more comfortable!"
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

When I spoke to Suzy, she indicated I could get it either way. Call and ask, if that's the way you'd like it. She has a helluva fast turnaround on orders, too.
ironcloudz

Post by ironcloudz »

Jge64 wrote:Very nice, Use Aerospace 303 spray to care for it. Actually has sun block capabilities, great stuff for "marine vinyl".

Warning from Suzy about this:

"...(use of this spray) is a very bad idea. You should never spray anything on a seat cover, because sometimes it can make them slippery. Your seat cover is not a standard marine vinyl. It’s a premium faux leather in a lovely matte finish, and it’s been formulated to be UV stabilized.

The only care it will need is with a mild soap if a bird does a doody on the cover. Most times with this fabric, I just use a paper towel, water, and a little windex if needed.

...that might be fine on a boat cushion, to add some kind of additional silicone layer or whatever it is, but never on a seat where your life depends on staying in place. You are going to love the anti-slip properties of this matte finish, so much better than the factory seat."
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Have you ever used it? Or are you just lumping this in with other silicone sprays, WHICH IT IS NOT....It is not slippery at all if buffed off.

Check the faqs on the silicone, I've been using this for 10 years on bikes far more powerful than this scooter with no slip.

http://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-ae ... lsrc=aw.ds

I have no idea on the faux stuff here but if it the same material as std seats, 303 is the go to stuff.

This was taught to me by SARGENT seats, a leader in bike seats.
Glen
ironcloudz

Post by ironcloudz »

No, I have never used it, I just ordered the seat cover myself, am merely passing on the info from Suzy, the crafts person of the seat cover. Maybe the material she uses is not the same as the "std seats" you are familiar with?

-stu
Jge64 wrote:Have you ever used it? Or are you just lumping this in with other silicone sprays, WHICH IT IS NOT....It is not slippery at all if buffed off.

Check the faqs on the silicone, I've been using this for 10 years on bikes far more powerful than this scooter with no slip.

http://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-ae ... lsrc=aw.ds

I have no idea on the faux stuff here but if it the same material as std seats, 303 is the go to stuff.

This was taught to me by SARGENT seats, a leader in bike seats.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

That is totally possible......then I would totally stand corrected… But every other motorcycle seat I've seen including all the Bikerzbitz , seargent and Honda seats work with 303 fine. Its a defacto standard on the car forums for interiors.
Glen
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

This is a case of ......."Suzy knows best" ;)
I'm liking what I'm hearing about her covers. I will go look again
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Respectfully, based on her silicone comment, i dont see she "knows best" at all.

Sorry, but the way i see it....
Glen
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Glen, are you saying silicone is okay to use on motorcycle seats? I've heard so many stories of slipping -an-sliding afterwards. Am I misunderstanding something? You're the man that knows cleaners, etc please enlighten me on silicone treatment to seats. To be or not or.....maybe?
Back tomorrow, be safe :)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

There are NO silicones in 303, you dont slide anywhere.
Glen
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Well that answers that then! ;) Sounds good to me!

I think I want some 303. Let me google that! So, I immediately seeked more info and visited: http://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-ae ... protectant. Wow! Very cool stuff Glen!
I want to dress my spanky new Cooper truck tires now Without Worries!! Really! You gotta read about 303 peeps! Do it!

Note: On their FAQ page I noticed how carefully the question about silicone in this product was answered,... "303 AP does not contain any harmful silicone oils, which can dry out, and damage surfaces."
Hmm, "any harmful" stopped me and had me thinking, Why not simply write, "does not contain silicone." Simple right?
Okay, so it's just me being anal (again) I suppose. Dad taught me at a young age how important words are. "Put them out there and you can't take them back, so be careful how you use them." RIP Dad, I didn't get it then but I do now. Anywho...I'll be headed to Amazon again soon! Thanks :P

Oh! And With respect I say to Suzy, you should read about this stuff too, try it and ditch the Windex. But NEVER STOP making Your Custom Seat Covers! It's/You're Genius! Cheers! 8)