Morning ride = sooooo cold!

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black

Re: Morning ride = sooooo cold!

Post by xixon »

you you wrote:I'm a Geordie so just a t-shirt for me in all weathers
your location reads centre of the universe, so I assumed you were in Toronto...LOL

I worked in New Castle and could not believe how the guys would wear a t-shirt, and it was cold as hell (and I'm Canadian, so we know cold)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

xixon wrote:
your location reads centre of the universe, so I assumed you were in Toronto...LOL

I worked in New Castle and could not believe how the guys would wear a t-shirt, and it was cold as hell (and I'm Canadian, so we know cold)

You probably noticed what the girls (didn't) wear too... :D :D :D :D
xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by xixon »

you you wrote:
xixon wrote:

You probably noticed what the girls (didn't) wear too... :D :D :D :D
at first I thought they were hookers, then eventually realized all were dressed in the same slutty fashion.... such a wonderful sight
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

iceman wrote:
Larry David wrote:
iceman wrote:Normal rainproof biker trousers (came free with http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... rod/117294) and never felt cold on my legs even at sub zero temps, the jacket above with lining and t-shirt/fleece underneath, and a choice of gloves - so far found gore-tex mittens with lining and thernal liner glove inside the best for rain/cold resistance. Or you can get bar mitts which work well with gloves.
I've just bought the jacket and trousers on your recommendation.
:) - the reviews on the website for this jacket speak for themselves - good value and they will change them free of charge (inc postage) if you need other sizes of trouser/jacket (applies to almost all goods they sell over about £25). The trousers and jacket have lasted about 16 months daily use. I do wear a hi-viz vest over my blue jacket, even though it has hi-vis patches, and also a cheap waterproof jacket over it when it is heavy rain (not many gloves / jackets are really totally waterproof). With a t-shirt, fleece and the jacket, I've not been too cold in the heart of winter, albeit city riding (30-40 max).
Received the clothes today. Bit of a problem with the sizes though. I ordered large which is actually the 3rd smallest size out of a possible 8 sizes! The jacket is too big and the sleeves are too long and the trousers are too small! But strange really given that I have a larger upper body than lower body. I actually bought them through Amazon as the delivery time was quicker.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Larry David wrote:Received the clothes today. Bit of a problem with the sizes though. I ordered large which is actually the 3rd smallest size out of a possible 8 sizes! The jacket is too big and the sleeves are too long and the trousers are too small! But strange really given that I have a larger upper body than lower body. I actually bought them through Amazon as the delivery time was quicker.
With Sportsbikeshop return/refund/exchange would be free which is why I would always use them for things like this. I have a large and the sleeves are perhaps an inch longer than I would like for a normal jacket, but with gloves on never had a problem (and I do not use any of the adjusters).
Also with SBS you can choose the size of jacket/trousers seperately - did you do that with amazon? (add the size of jacket to the basket with SBS, when you go to the basket there is a seperate tab asking for size of trousers wanted). I found the Armr Moto sizing to be quite good, where RST is always 1-2 sizes too small for most people (size M, order an XL jacket!).
Larry David
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Larry David »

iceman wrote:
Larry David wrote:Received the clothes today. Bit of a problem with the sizes though. I ordered large which is actually the 3rd smallest size out of a possible 8 sizes! The jacket is too big and the sleeves are too long and the trousers are too small! But strange really given that I have a larger upper body than lower body. I actually bought them through Amazon as the delivery time was quicker.
With Sportsbikeshop return/refund/exchange would be free which is why I would always use them for things like this. I have a large and the sleeves are perhaps an inch longer than I would like for a normal jacket, but with gloves on never had a problem (and I do not use any of the adjusters).
Also with SBS you can choose the size of jacket/trousers seperately - did you do that with amazon? (add the size of jacket to the basket with SBS, when you go to the basket there is a seperate tab asking for size of trousers wanted). I found the Armr Moto sizing to be quite good, where RST is always 1-2 sizes too small for most people (size M, order an XL jacket!).
Not sure if the Amazon seller allow different sizes. They are sending out a smaller jacket. I've just emailed them to see if they can send me an XL in the trousers.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Larry David wrote:
iceman wrote:
Not sure if the Amazon seller allow different sizes. They are sending out a smaller jacket. I've just emailed them to see if they can send me an XL in the trousers.

Show off
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Cyberbodhi wrote: to over-the-top pocket nuclear reactor!
Does this count? o_O http://www.rei.com/product/857945/mount ... -suit-mens
amruth92
Year: 2010

Post by amruth92 »

Cyberbodhi wrote:The last couple morning ride-ins have been really cold. Been thinking maybe some long-johns or something. What do you all do to stay warm? Looking for advice, anything from pocket-book friendly, to over-the-top pocket nuclear reactor! What do you wear to stay warm and dry as the weather changes?
Long-johns underneath the jeans. Waterproof over-trousers on top of the jeans as well if necessary. Mahoosive JTS jacket that keeps me nice and snug in all weathers, with removable lining. Visor down on the helmet for most of the journey [though I much prefer riding with it up!]. Richa 'winter' gloves that I just wear all year round.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Although I'm ok in temps down to a few degree's below zero with just thermal rain proof trousers, textile jacket over a long-sleeve fleece and balaclava to help around the neck area, I've just purchased a flourescent rain proof over-jacket instead of the normal one I carry to add rain-proof and hi-viz to the mix. It will add an extra layer for the colder weather too. First time I've bought a proper bikers over-jacket rather than light-weight normal jacket which does not always fit well on armoured clothing without being way to big around the waist.
Attachments
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (114.83 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

iceman wrote:Although I'm ok in temps down to a few degree's below zero with just thermal rain proof trousers, textile jacket over a long-sleeve fleece and balaclava to help around the neck area, I've just purchased a flourescent rain proof over-jacket instead of the normal one I carry to add rain-proof and hi-viz to the mix. It will add an extra layer for the colder weather too. First time I've bought a proper bikers over-jacket rather than light-weight normal jacket which does not always fit well on armoured clothing without being way to big around the waist.
I'm using a properly sized bicycle hi-viz rainproof jacket. It is slightly oversize at waist area, but comfortably long at the back. Your's looking really good and adjustable. Can you post up a link to it please?
Personally I try to avoid riding in sub-zero conditions - but as your name says you're a true iceman to do it.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

It's the Oxford Rainseal All Weather Over Jacket available lots of places on the web and shops - I got it from sportsbikeshop as I know I can return it free of charge for money back or exchange up to 365 days! You can get it in black of flourescent for about £24 delivered if you look around. I was looking at three others and the 'frogg something or other jackets'. I liked the look of the Oxford and it gets rave reviews - but has no external pockets.
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... rod/244260
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... rod/210653
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/71071
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... rod/183820
SBS advised get the same size as my jacket (large Armr Moto Kiso) for all but the Richa Full Fluo Rain Jacket - which they suggest get one size up.
Toonman
Year: 2015

Post by Toonman »

You you, where abouts in the north east you from?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Toonman wrote:You you, where abouts in the north east you from?

I'm a Sanddancer
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

THX Iceman.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Oyabun wrote:THX Iceman.
Oxford waterproof over-jacket arrived, fitted well over my large size Armr Moto jacket, but I was not keen on the collar or amount of velcro to do up/undo so I've sent it back free of charge via SBS. Now ordering one of these: Very light weight, folds up to a small bundle for storage, totally waterproof, external and internal pockets (unlike the other one) and I prefer a more open zip arrangement (with weather proof strip behind) than having lots of velcro fixings on the outside. Usually £60 but some outlets have them on offer for £29 delivered for the next 2 weeks!
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (344.23 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

The Rev-It jacket above is superb! My Armr Moto jacket in large is fairly bulky compared to RST's (they run smaller than usual for a given size) and the Rev-It in XL fits perfectly with a bit of room to spare. It's fine even on it's own over over normal clothes with no bike jacket as it's not too large and bulky. Superb quality for less than half usual price (usually £60), very lightweight folds to a small size and has four pockets in total - two large outside, one large inside and another just inside the front flap. Very pleased I found this on offer.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:
Oxford waterproof over-jacket arrived, fitted well over my large size Armr Moto jacket, but I was not keen on the collar or amount of velcro to do up/undo so I've sent it back free of charge via SBS. Now ordering one of these: Very light weight, folds up to a small bundle for storage, totally waterproof, external and internal pockets (unlike the other one) and I prefer a more open zip arrangement (with weather proof strip behind) than having lots of velcro fixings on the outside. Usually £60 but some outlets have them on offer for £29 delivered for the next 2 weeks!

Looks good for £29 , which outlets?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

you you wrote:
iceman wrote:
Looks good for £29 , which outlets?
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/REV-IT_Motor ... ry=2993172 (black)
http://www.getgeared.co.uk/REV-IT_Motor ... ry=2993172 (neon top)
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Who's cold? It was a degree below freezing one morning last week and I was nice and warm in my Alpinestars Mora jacket and Tourmaster Quest pants. The only thing I don't have is cold weather riding gloves, and I need a scarf.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS