How do you put air in your tires?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

How do you put air in your tires?

Post by Lanesplitter »

Seems a really dumb question, but I can't fit a nice bike pump on the valve stem. That would be the simplest, cheapest way to top off tire pressure while the tires are cold at home. I went to a gas station and couldn't get the straight chuck on the stem. No room. I forced it, but then the pin in the stem got stuck open and bled the tire down to 10 pounds before I managed to stop it. You'd think after so many years of making small scooter wheels Honda would have a solution.

I looked at 90 degree stems on Amazon and some reviewers say they don't work with the rubber stems.

Thanks.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: How do you put air in your tires?

Post by Jge64 »

My gas station has a flex head that fits fine. I over inflate by 5 lbs or so and then used a race gauge with flex head with a deflator button to bring it back down to exactly the psi that i want.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Topping off the rear tire use to be a p.i.t.a.
Now I have two pumps that work:
1. A portable Slime pump with a chuck that Fits. See it on this thread: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... t=air+pump

2. The other is a Black and Decker pump with a chuck that Fits. Model ASI500.
Both pumps have a smaller chuck lever. Nice! Easy! :)

This video shows the B&D pump:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Once the tyre is filled with air after fitting, I never check them.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Lanesplitter »

gn2 wrote:Once the tyre is filled with air after fitting, I never check them.
Both tires were replaced a week and 200ish miles earlier and filled to 29/36 F/R. I checked them because they felt sluggish cornering and were really easy to balance at a stop light. Track stand on a scooter. Front was 24, rear was 26.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

My rear goes down about 4-7 psi every few months and the front a couple of bar so worth checking every few months if not sooner. I use a portable 12v inflator and it works like a charm (bought one with an accurate guage). Fed up with the air pumps at local garages being out of service when I needed them.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:Once the tyre is filled with air after fitting, I never check them.
I hope you're being facetious.

For myself, I check the pressures at least weekly. This helps avoid any issues.

I have a little foot pump at home and access to a regular air compressor at school. I also have my own air chuck and slide dryly air pressure gauge. It's a bit of a tight fit to get in at those valve stems, but I've managed so far.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

honkerman wrote:I hope you're being facetious.
Nope.
I don't check tyres unless they start to look or feel soft.
Checking them lets air out.
If you don't check them the air stays in.
Other things I never check: oil level, coolant level, spark plug gap.
TBH I just don't do maintenance, I bought it to ride it, not fart around with it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:
Nope.
TBH I just don't do maintenance, I bought it to ride it, not fart around with it.
Well, it's your bike, you have to do what you think best. Personally, I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I err on the side of caution. I also put at least 320 miles on my scooters (between the two) every week for commuting, not including pleasure rides on the weekends. Most of these miles are on the PCX. Checking the air periodically is cheap insurance and an easy thing to do. I check the oil every thousand miles or so, and since the coolant reservoir is right there, it gets checked almost every time I lift the seat.

To be fair, your approach is pretty common for the majority of motorcyclists. It doesn't necessarily put the rider in immediate danger, but neglecting the little things can mean more wear and tear on the the various parts of the bike over time. I'm sure you know this and if you're comfortable with that, it's your bike and your money. I personally prefer not to waste money on repairs and parts I could have prevented by taking just a minute or two out of the day once a week or so just to check things over.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
DailyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Dark blue

Post by DailyRider »

Lanesplitter wrote:Seems a really dumb question, but I can't fit a nice bike pump on the valve stem. That would be the simplest, cheapest way to top off tire pressure while the tires are cold at home. I went to a gas station and couldn't get the straight chuck on the stem. No room. I forced it, but then the pin in the stem got stuck open and bled the tire down to 10 pounds before I managed to stop it. You'd think after so many years of making small scooter wheels Honda would have a solution.

I looked at 90 degree stems on Amazon and some reviewers say they don't work with the rubber stems.

Thanks.
Yup, I had this problem and got an angled stem on Amazon and it didn't work.

But eventually I got my bicycle pump to work by opening the lever to the other side.

It's not obvious, but the wheel opening near the stem is asymmetric. It's still tight, but doable.

I find I lose a bit of air when the tire chunks against potholes, so I need to check and refill them fairly often.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

My tyres always look and feel 'hard' but after several months, as stated, they lose air. When I fill them up I've learnt to put a few psi in extra as removing the portable inflators pipe lets out a couple of PSI (I checked this several times and that was always the case, a few and not more).
Some tyres/valves may not lose pressure, but many do. I check the oil every 3 or so months and the engine only loses a little so no need usually to top up between changes (once a year as I do just over 4000/yr).
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

gn2 wrote:
Nope.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

homie wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Nope.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This reminds me...I do fart around on my PCX now that it has the new exhaust. :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

DailyRider wrote:
Lanesplitter wrote:Seems a really dumb question, but I can't fit a nice bike pump on the valve stem. That would be the simplest, cheapest way to top off tire pressure while the tires are cold at home. I went to a gas station and couldn't get the straight chuck on the stem. No room. I forced it, but then the pin in the stem got stuck open and bled the tire down to 10 pounds before I managed to stop it. You'd think after so many years of making small scooter wheels Honda would have a solution.

Thanks.
Yup, I had this problem and got an angled stem on Amazon and it didn't work.

But eventually I got my bicycle pump to work by opening the lever to the other side.

It's not obvious, but the wheel opening near the stem is asymmetric. It's still tight, but doable.

I find I lose a bit of air when the tire chunks against potholes, so I need to check and refill them fairly often.
I've read that using 90 degree stems will offset the balance of the rim/wheel. Is there truth to that? I refrained from doing that for that reason.
I solved the problem by using either of the above pumps I mentioned.
I turn the rear tire till the valve stem is at the 4 o'clock position (the stem is easily accessible).
I just got this air guage from Roadgear, it's perfect (imo) in every way!
http://roadgear.com/programmable-digita ... -p-41.html
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I doubt it will matter at the speeds we run....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Be responsible to yourself and to others. Care.

Keep your tires inflated to the proper level.
PCX front 29psi - rear 33psi (check your manual if you carry a passenger, add stated psi).

I do not lose air when I check my pressure. A very good tire guage and a bit of experience keeps this from happening to me. I may hear a "psst" of air but that's about it! I certainly didn't lose a pound in that short "psst!" In total, I maintain 13 tires at proper inflation. Experience is the best teacher ;)

My PCX tires get checked before each ride and topped off when necessary. Front loses more quickly than rear. If you have the right tools the job's done in no time.
Be safe, and not sorry....top them off, ride your machine and get where you're going
Your Life..."LIVE" It!

gn2,....Really? :roll: Yer tires are gonna "fart!"
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Nope.

Other opinions are available.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I check my tyres about every two weeks and usually they are down a couple of pounds. I use a standing bike pump with a universal valve fitting to bring them up to pressure.

If the rear tyre is down more than a couple of pounds the ride feels squirmy, it's particularly noticeable when cornering. Not a good feeling. :roll: :roll:
Ishkabibble
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ishkabibble »

Riding home from work a couple of weeks after I got her, I noticed that Natasha seemed a little "mushy" in turns and when on uneven pavement. Sort of like the tire "skipped" to the side about 1/4" or so when riding over a crack. This troubled me a little, as it felt somewhat unstable. So I stopped at a quickie mart to add a little to the tire pressure. After going to four different places upon discovering that it takes $1.25 just to get the thing to come on where one can check pressure, much less add air, I was getting a little frustrated. So I went the next morning to Home Depot, and got this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-120-Vo ... lsrc=aw.ds

Never had a bit of problem since, and it works quite well. The gauge seems accurate, (it tracks with my regular pressure gauge) and it's always at the ready.
I found something to put here.
Add yourself to the PCX-Forza Owner's Map!
Go here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ULV6Ib-uKsjMpWaPzPwAXmfB7vU&usp=sharing
For instructions how to add yourself go here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6437#p88888

Be sure to add your Model, year, color, and name if your scoot has one!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Is this a US thing :) - only hear of problems filling up tyres from US garages :)