Takegawa Power Silent Oval INSTALLED!!

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Takegawa Power Silent Oval INSTALLED!!

Post by ScooterMan »

Just got it in today fresh from Webike Japan. (2) actually. One for me, and one for another forum member here as it was free shipping over $500. No customs fees in case anyone was wondering. $255 per exhaust. At the same time, my pod filter also arrived. Perfect timing! Installed both, and have some pics, and some observations, but need to get out and drive it more than a couple miles (which is all I've done so far) in order to give a complete review. Exhaust is not all that much lighter than stock. It is nice looking however and reasonably quiet for an aftermarket exhaust. While I did start it up and blip the throttle on the stand after just doing the exhaust, the pod filter also added some intake noise, so hard to say what the exaust alone would sound like...but use your imagination. =) It has a really smooth tone, and nearly stock sounding at idle, a bit louder when blipping the throttle, and decent little bark when going WOT under load. It is catalyzed though, and not straight thru, but according to Takegawa, adds 8-10% peak hp gain. After some testing on some of my usual hills I encounter on the local freeways over the next few days/weeks, I'll report back.

OEM Exhaust (10.75lbs) and New Exhaust (8.5lbs) for a weight savings of 2.25lbs

Airbox delete and installed pod filter saved 2.25lbs

Total weight loss with Exhaust and pod Filter (4.5lbs)

Additional weight loss measures:

Center Stand (2.75lbs)
Side mirrors (1 lb)
LiIon Battery (3.5lbs)
Reflectors (6 oz.)

In total, 12lbs lighter than OEM. =)

And now the pics!

2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Takegawa Power Silent Oval INSTALLED!!

Post by vamootsman »

Looks nice!
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
RoederChan

Post by RoederChan »

Looks Very Good!!!
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

Looks sharp, and also like it's a lot of weight saved vs. stock. I'm eager to hear how you like it and if you think you get any performance boost out of it.
'88 BMW R100RT
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Make sure you disconnect the battery for a few minutes so you reset the computer and relearns be parameters..
Are you running lighter weights now? You should tune your vario for 8k rpm, you will have best performance from your scoot without affecting your fuel economy much. I'm running big mods and my fuel economy is good as stock 125..
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Ok, an update, but to let you know, I did disconnect the battery for about 20-30 minutes. Anyway, got out today to try the new exhaust finally. I live in San Diego, and it's remotely hilly around here. THere's this one more gentle uphill grade on the I-5 freeway, maybe a 2-3% grade that I tested my scooter on with the stock exhaust a few weeks ago before fitting the exhaust. Similar traffic, similar wind today, fully tucked down, but instead of 75mph, I'm bouncing off the rev limiter at 78.5mph now up the same hill. I mean, it's not night and day power increase, but it's proving to be a bit more peppy. Hard to really notice the gains in accel with the added volume of the exhaust and intake skewing things. But the proof is in the pudding with the speeds uphill on the freeway.

Really liking the look more and more too. Got a compliment on it today from my friend who rides a 2 stroke Italian scooter with a 70cc engine kit. He asked about buying it...again! Lol.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

Ok Scooterman, these things are quiet and its nice. Obviously its louder now. Is it tolerable? Is it annoyingly loud? Is the exhaust ok, but the intake too loud or vice/versa?
Glad to hear you've found some real world performance differences.
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Did you get yours mounted yet also Vamootsman? Pod filter too or just the exhaust so far? It's only mildly annoying to me at full throttle, and I'm guessing if I put the airbox back on, it'd prob cut back on the noise by about 2/3. But, most of the time when I'm at full throttle, I'm on the freeway and the wind noise through my helmet drowns out most of the added sound.

I've had nearly 30 motorcycles over the years, and modified nearly all of them. After my ride today, I'm enjoying the extra audio, and truly believing I can live with it. It's not really all that much louder if I want to pull away quietly in the morn or come home late at night as far as my neighbors are concerned.

To answer your question, I believe 2/3 of the added noise is from the intake...which may have an insignificant affect on power output, but without further testing, and really dyno testing...I can't be sure. I can only say that I know that Takegawa has proven gains on the dyno as I mentioned earlier with just the exhaust. A pod filter to me is just weight savings, and insurance that I'm able to get more air in knowing the exhaust is able to get it out more efficiently. I'd already modified my airbox by removing the screen behind the filter. Maybe I'll swap that onto my other PCX for now. =)
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

I haven't had time to install anything yet. Gonna try to do the exhaust and Pod this week, and see how it feels, (and sounds), then do the variator over the weekend. Just did back to back 100 mile round trips and really want just a little extra now.
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
supermattyp

Post by supermattyp »

Nice exhaust but I'd like to hear a little more about this battery you swapped out? Link to where you bought a Li-Ion battery for the scoot? I'm interested in that
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I'd like to hear the pipe... oh how you make me jealous!!! YOU SUCK!
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

The battery is an MMG3 Li Ion battery from Amazon.com for $79 shipped.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CGN ... UTF8&psc=1

I had found one on another site for $62 shipped, but a few days after I ordered it, I get an email saying "out of stock" and my card hadn't been charged.

Again, battery in 2015 PCX is larger (taller) and nearly 2lbs heavier than in the 2013. 6lbs vs 4 1/4lbs. So def worth doing in the new one. Sidenote: OEM 2015 battery will not fit in the 2013. You can mount it up, but you can't fit the strap or the battery compartment cover back on.
supermattyp

Post by supermattyp »

i have a forza but I was just curious for my bike. I may check it out and see if they make one for me.
Thanks for the info.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

[quote="supermattyp"]i have a forza but I was just curious for my bike. I may check it out and see if they make one for me.
Thanks for the info.[/quote

The MMG3 should be enough juice for cranking it over. So, the same one I have. It's 150CCA's. Stock 2013 is like 95CCA. Stock 2015 is 120CCA. I run a 200CCA battery in my Subaru 2.5L car.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by vamootsman »

vamootsman wrote:I haven't had time to install anything yet. Gonna try to do the exhaust and Pod this week, and see how it feels, (and sounds), then do the variator over the weekend. Just did back to back 100 mile round trips and really want just a little extra now.
Got it installed and am really impressed. Sounds great and added power, and looks good too! Not loud at all, actually sounds like 4 stroke Thumper Like a KLR, but better!
2013 PCX 150 with,
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

i think the exhaust would look great with at least 6 - 8 inches chopped off the end.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

dem0nk1d wrote:i think the exhaust would look great with at least 6 - 8 inches chopped off the end.
It does look long from the angle of the pics I took. I wish I could find a more reasonable priced exhaust that was sold in the US as I'd like a performance exhaust on both of my PCX's. Not ready to plunk down close to $600 on a Yoshimura. And like the Takegawa, the GPR is catted as well. So many of the exhusts on webbike are bling exhausts and I don't trust them for performance with their ridiculous pipe diameters that are sure to rob torque and be noisy.

I would make my own, but it would mean hacking up my OEM can and paying another $100 for the canister I want and the packing for it. Stil tempted to do so, but if it comes out too loud/not working right, then at some point when I sell it I'll have to source another used OEM exhaust. Seen a few on Ebay for $60. And, if I make my own exhaust, it's virtually worthless to sell in the future. But if I like it, I'd be stoked! Still can't decide.

Another issue is the pipe diameter as most of the PCX exhausts are made for both 125 and 150 models. As such, the pipe diameter coming off the head is smaller on them and may not be optimum for the 153cc motor. Before mounting mine I champhered the opening at the flange to try and match it a bit. Prob could have spent more time doing so, and maybe will when I get bored, but was too anxious to get it mounted up.

One last thing, many of the exhausts that do have a dyno chart (very few) show the chart for a 124cc, not the 153cc. So again, while the pipe diameter may be optimized for the smaller engine, not sure about the larger motor and whether it's giving up anything.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

ScooterMan wrote:
dem0nk1d wrote:i think the exhaust would look great with at least 6 - 8 inches chopped off the end.
It does look long from the angle of the pics I took. I wish I could find a more reasonable priced exhaust that was sold in the US as I'd like a performance exhaust on both of my PCX's. Not ready to plunk down close to $600 on a Yoshimura. And like the Takegawa, the GPR is catted as well. So many of the exhusts on webbike are bling exhausts and I don't trust them for performance with their ridiculous pipe diameters that are sure to rob torque and be noisy.

I would make my own, but it would mean hacking up my OEM can and paying another $100 for the canister I want and the packing for it. Stil tempted to do so, but if it comes out too loud/not working right, then at some point when I sell it I'll have to source another used OEM exhaust. Seen a few on Ebay for $60. And, if I make my own exhaust, it's virtually worthless to sell in the future. But if I like it, I'd be stoked! Still can't decide.

Another issue is the pipe diameter as most of the PCX exhausts are made for both 125 and 150 models. As such, the pipe diameter coming off the head is smaller on them and may not be optimum for the 153cc motor. Before mounting mine I champhered the opening at the flange to try and match it a bit. Prob could have spent more time doing so, and maybe will when I get bored, but was too anxious to get it mounted up.

One last thing, many of the exhausts that do have a dyno chart (very few) show the chart for a 124cc, not the 153cc. So again, while the pipe diameter may be optimized for the smaller engine, not sure about the larger motor and whether it's giving up anything.

Send me a link to the cheap canisters and maybe i'll test it on my bike.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

You can get the same type of back pressure reduction and added noise by drilling the stock muffler. And you get to keep the catalyst for cleaner air. And it's free. I missed the first couple locations and ended a bit too large and loud. I was enlarging it one hole at a time and listening while revving on the center stand but it is a bit louder when actually loading up full throttle on the road. I would probably recommend using about 2/3 of the area that I ended up with.
Drilling on the bottom keeps it out of sight and puts the exhaust gas down and away from the bike. And drilling at the front area of the can means you are still using most of the volume but still eliminating the long, skinny pipe that goes from the front of the can all the way to the outlet.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Sendler, believe me when I say I want to try that! It's just that if I don't like it, I've ruined a $60-80 pipe (current ebay value). Although who knows what the demand is for a stock exhaust on a scooter!

Also, my goal is not just performance, but weight savings. My idea for fabbing up a custom one using the stock headpipe should save me about 7-8lbs. Concerned about volume (noise) though. Anyway, we'll see. Need to pull the trigger on this. Would really like to find the pipe I'm looking at and inspect it in person, but that's not the way the world works anymore! It's all on the internet. At least for this obscure stuff.