KN Planning torque driver on PCX 150

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

kalai1622

Re: KN Planning torque driver on PCX 150

Post by kalai1622 »

I have pcx 125 with jcosta variator with 13gr rollers and the rpm drop from 40km/h to 60km/h. I am always driving in the city centre, so I need power at this speed. After I noticed the rpm drop, I installed the malossi yellow spring which is stiffer than the stock one and I didn't see any difference about the rpm drop..but I have a better start. I don't want to change exhaust and another variator. I don't want a sport driving but only a smooth accelaration and better top speed (max 120km/h) that the stock one. I think that if I install the torque driver with straight groove, I eliminate the rpm drop! Am I right??
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Well,i just tried reverting back to banana shape groves on the torque drive for a few days and all i can say is its crap. It made the mid range slugish and unresponsive comparing to the straight groves. Its a big difference in performance...top end is unaffected either way but the mid range is huge diff..
kalai1622

Post by kalai1622 »

is there any difference in fuel consumption?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

kalai1622 wrote:is there any difference in fuel consumption?
No really..
kalai1622

Post by kalai1622 »

I just ordered the KN torque driver! So, how many slots has the driver?? and how can I understand which slot is suitable for me? is there any guide inside, explaining the characteristics of each slot??
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

kalai1622 wrote:I just ordered the KN torque driver! So, how many slots has the driver?? and how can I understand which slot is suitable for me? is there any guide inside, explaining the characteristics of each slot??

Does it matter as you've ordered the KN?
kalai1622

Post by kalai1622 »

I want to be prepared when I receive it and I want your opinions about the slots..
kalai1622

Post by kalai1622 »

guys today i received the KN torque driver and it has 2 kind of slots but it has totally 6 slots.. it has a slot with straight groove and the other is not so straight. which one is better?
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/6386/Vm5BQy.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img538/4845/SpJ97l.jpg
kalai1622

Post by kalai1622 »

I installed the new torque driver with the straight groove because the other one was similar to the stock driver. but....I didnt see any difference and the rpm drop again between 40 and 60 km/h. I don't know why..maybe the jcosta variator is the problem.. the only change I noticed is that the pcx starts very smoothly.. Also, I tried both the stock and the malossi torque spring but the malossi is better...
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

I believe Mgalutia88 recommended a stiffer spring and sliders. Maybe it might be worth dropping the weights down to 12g as well?

I believe he also mentioned that this was recommended for use with a big bore kit due to the longer slots.
kalai1622

Post by kalai1622 »

Valiant wrote:I believe Mgalutia88 recommended a stiffer spring and sliders. Maybe it might be worth dropping the weights down to 12g as well?

I believe he also mentioned that this was recommended for use with a big bore kit due to the longer slots.

my next move is to change the rollers to 12gr. with the new torque i tried both the stock spring and the malossi spring! the first one is awful..
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Well, as all those guys with the big bore kits and 150 version said, this piece might be better off with a big bore kit.

While you said you don't want another variator, I'm not sure I see a way around that.

My current setup is an NCY Variator with 13g weights, an SP Takegawa Silent Sport Oval Exhaust, and a DNA air filter with the snorkel removed from the airbox. IMO, the exhaust only adds a modest amount of power, with the air filter mod being cheaper and more productive for the cost. However, I would say the variator with the 13g weights makes the night and day difference. My PCX 150 accelerates much faster now.

Here's a video with the current mods:

Because my PCX is a 150 unlike your 125, it essentially means you'd need to layer on more mods than me to get the same performance. Though the speeds you mention(40-60kph, or 24.86-37.28mph) aren't very fast, so I'd imagine you could get there easily with the NCY Vario and Drive Face. You could also try the NCY Secondary Slider Assembly if you want to push that further, and maybe the DNA air filter as well.

I hate to say it, but there will be some times when the mod you try ends up being a dud, and you have to drop it.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Nobody here really has any experience with the JCosta variator.
kalai1622

Post by kalai1622 »

exactly sendler! there are few people have jcosta variator so its difficult to share your opinion and your mods about it. A friend of mine has installed mallossi variator with stiffer malossi spring, 12 or 13gr rollers and has the same problem with me but in another speed! he has rpm drop between 60 and 80 km/h. he also can't find a "cheap" solution to disapear it. Valiant, i don't want to have the most powerful accelaration..i try to find a solution to rpm drop..if there is.. thanks for the interest!
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Remove the torque driver and put the stock one back in? I figure either the torque driver is causing it, or the vario is causing it, and one or both of them need to be replaced.
kalai1622

Post by kalai1622 »

why put the stock one? for this reason i changed the stock torque driver..if I put the stock vario then i loss my top speed...
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Well, maybe not stock vario, but did you have any issues prior to putting in the KN Planning Torque Driver with the Jcosta vario?

As in, the stock torque driver with the Jcosta vario?
kalai1622

Post by kalai1622 »

a year ago I installed the jcosta vario only with the 11gr rollers. I had no problem with rpm drop but it was too noisy for me cause of the high rpm.. six months later I installed 13gr rollers. I t was good choice about the low rpm, but it starts the problem with the rpm drop between 40-60 km/h. So now, I am trying to find a solution to keep the 13gr rollers and also to dissapear the rpm drop. Reading about the KN torque driver i decided to buy and try it. but no difference... so now, with no other choice, I will install 12gr rollers and i think it will be the best and the final way to have the best positive result!