2015 PCX 150 top speed

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: 2015 PCX 150 top speed

Post by Valiant »

Heh, might be a good idea to pass on that anyway.

I just got a call from my dealer saying that they'll probably need me to pick it up tomorrow instead of today. Evidently they seem to think I needed another part separate from the variator. The drive face certainly helps, but there should be a stock one there already.

If they're having that much trouble with the transmission, I'm not sure I want them monkeying around with the engine.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Holy crap, $600! Dude, buy my ticket out there and I'll do it for free! I could seriously do all that in an hour or less. SMH. Are you sure that's not a typo and supposed to be $60? Cause that sounds more like it.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Seriously though, I used to be a motorcycle mechanic. An oil change should be .5 hours, Vario and clutch change maybe 1 hour, exhaust swap .5 hrs. So at the most, you should be paying for 2 hours of labor. Maybe a bit more with the tq driver but man...best of luck. Because really, if you want to make any changes to the tq driver or sliders, you're going to have to cough up the $$$ to pay for changes.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Well, after this, I'll shop around and see if there are any reputable scooter shops.

The ones typically around the Waikiki area markets to the cheap $500 mopeds, and "the fix" usually involves patching the Chinese PoS up for a month before it breaks again. Basically crappy chop shops.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Well, I would make sure they give you an itemized bill for the labor. Sounds like you're providing all the parts. They need to be able to show you the labor rates for each job like I mentioned above. I would dispute that when you pick up the bike. Maybe even call another dealer in another state and get flat-rate labor quote for all that is being done. Have the shop show you in the book what the labor rates are for everything and don't let them charge you any more than that.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Might be a laugh if I did that.

The labor rate is $99 an hour, and aside from the oil, I'm pretty sure that labor is all I'm paying for.

The truth of the matter is that they probably did monkey around for 6 hours trying to figure out what the hell goes where, because for an authorized Honda dealer, they sure don't seem to have much of a clue what they're talking about.

Looking at the YouTube video and going through the NCY parts available for the PCX, I don't see anything missing other than the drive face that's a near myth at this point, but there should still be an OEM drive face inside. I didn't exactly open the package, but unless the NCY vario is missing the back plate from the taped up packaging, there isn't a single bit "missing".

So I'm sure they did trip over themselves for 6 hours, and I feel the appropriate response would be to sell my extended warranty, catch that money back(which is roughly $600 itself), let that pay for my install, then wash my hands of this dealer for good. Because the warranty doesn't sound very appealing if the mechanics responsible for repairs are utterly incompetent.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Valiant wrote:Looking at the YouTube video and going through the NCY parts available for the PCX, I don't see anything missing other than the drive face that's a near myth at this point, but there should still be an OEM drive face inside. I didn't exactly open the package, but unless the NCY vario is missing the back plate from the taped up packaging, there isn't a single bit "missing".
You should have the stock version of this stuff, 3 pieces and 6 black rollers
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Yeah, got all that. I'll find out tomorrow what the fuss is all about, and if they even finished it. I just figure if I'm going to be raped like this, they ought to at least buy me dinner :D .
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

ScooterMan wrote:Seriously though, I used to be a motorcycle mechanic. An oil change should be .5 hours, Vario and clutch change maybe 1 hour, exhaust swap .5 hrs. So at the most, you should be paying for 2 hours of labor. Maybe a bit more with the tq driver but man...best of luck. Because really, if you want to make any changes to the tq driver or sliders, you're going to have to cough up the $$$ to pay for changes.
Argh. By "slider", are you referring to the secondary slider? Because according to the illustration on the package, it should be part of the clutch assembly.

Kind of wondering if it would be worth it to purchase the tools needed for the change, given that I'll probably never need to pop open the transmission again after putting in the secondary slider and drive face, unless the weights aren't to my liking. It's just... I figure if I'm going to be charged something outrageous(maybe $300-$400 for the drive face & slider), I might as well take the tools even if I won't touch them again until I upgrade to a bigger bike.

I would assume that disassembling enough of the PCX to install the torque driver would be well outside of my skill level.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

Valiant wrote:
ScooterMan wrote:Seriously though, I used to be a motorcycle mechanic. An oil change should be .5 hours, Vario and clutch change maybe 1 hour, exhaust swap .5 hrs. So at the most, you should be paying for 2 hours of labor. Maybe a bit more with the tq driver but man...best of luck. Because really, if you want to make any changes to the tq driver or sliders, you're going to have to cough up the $$$ to pay for changes.
Argh. By "slider", are you referring to the secondary slider? Because according to the illustration on the package, it should be part of the clutch assembly.

Kind of wondering if it would be worth it to purchase the tools needed for the change, given that I'll probably never need to pop open the transmission again after putting in the secondary slider and drive face, unless the weights aren't to my liking. It's just... I figure if I'm going to be charged something outrageous(maybe $300-$400 for the drive face & slider), I might as well take the tools even if I won't touch them again until I upgrade to a bigger bike.

I would assume that disassembling enough of the PCX to install the torque driver would be well outside of my skill level.
Get the tools. Swapping variator parts too easy to pay someone to do it for you.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

vamootsman wrote:
Valiant wrote:

Get the tools. Swapping variator parts too easy to pay someone to do it for you.
True, but I assume the torque driver is out of my league?

In other news, looks like Christmas came early for me!

Install went relatively without a hitch. Total charge was $542.34

Yeah, I'll gripe about that later. The ride back was very nice. Acceleration felt like 2nd gear on that old Honda Nighthawk I rode during my MSF course, which is really good for a scooter. Powered my way up an incline at about 55 mph, and it was still accelerating. Downhill was equally thrilling, getting 70 mph on the speedo, though my GPS insists I didn't go faster than 68 mph. Still, Saturday traffic was relatively congested for in-town highways, and the speed limit is technically 50 mph there.

I was a little concerned when I smelled something like burnt plastic or electronics when I was stopped after getting off the highway, but I didn't smell it again after moving away from that horribly old and busted truck in front of me, so hopefully that smell wasn't coming from me o_O . No smell when I parked it, and I stuck my face awfully close to that exhaust.

Video will be uploaded in a couple of days. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to either ride over to the neighboring city, or ride it at night with less traffic after work tomorrow.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

yes lets hear THAT!
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Here's the vid:

The exhaust itself isn't loud, though I believe the intake increased even more with it(if that makes any sense), because my airbox sounds even louder. Still, the sound doesn't quite compare with a 250 bike, so I got the ninja scooter I wanted :D .

I took my PCX to a bit of a longer stretch to the Aloha Stadium today, and got fantastically lost along the way as well, but that's more enjoyable when you have the day off 8) .

Max speed was still 68 mph. I still think it can go faster, as I never got to any point where the car in front of me was pulling ahead faster than I was, even when moving to the "fast" lane. 0-60 speed is very satisfactory, easily able to keep up with other traffic(with the exception of other motorcycles). Anything above 60 on a slight uphill or flats will take a while. I can get up to 65 on a bit of downhill fairly quickly, but it'll only crawl up after that, which results in me backing off the throttle because of the approaching car in front of me before I can go any higher than 68(again, on the GPS, as the speedo shows 70).

I haven't felt lucky enough to try Kaneohe again(longer path and more uphill), as I currently feel I need a bit more before attempting that one. I have yet to hit the rev limiter, and it doesn't feel like the engine isn't continually pulling me towards it, just that acceleration goes down drastically after hitting 60 mph. I'll be happy to see how this thing runs once I get the torque driver, drive face, and secondary slider installed, which likely won't happen for 3 weeks(parts aren't expected to ship until January 7th).
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

That's very stealthy and looks good too! Put it on the stand and rev it up to the cam so we can hear it
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

@Valiant - The motorcyclist on your right at 39:00 is rocking out to something. Also noticed the woman riding squid at 41:40

Oh, BTW I do like your new exhaust. That is sharp!
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Steph wrote:@Valiant - The motorcyclist on your right at 39:00 is rocking out to something. Also noticed the woman riding squid at 41:40

Oh, BTW I do like your new exhaust. That is sharp!
That was a little disturbing. He was either listening to music on a bluetooth device, which can be a bit stupid on a motorcycle(probably can't hear EMS vehicles for one), or he found some musical quality from the sound of his tailpipes O.O

As for the squid lady, that's pretty much everyone on a moped, and half the people on motorcycles.

On another note, it seems like Christmas will come in threes:
Thank you very much for shopping at Webike Japan.

The products you ordered has been shipped out.

Delivery Company:EMS
Given the evident complexities regarding the camshaft, I'll likely shelve it for now, and put it up for sale at a later date. I'd look to have the remaining parts installed first, preferably NOT by my dealer, and see how it all goes together.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

and send me one of those South Seas license plate covers... YEAH!
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Actually, forgot to ask this, but I noted in some other threads that some mods require direct access to the engine and thus, all the fairings have to be removed and the engine pulled.

Is the torque driver one such mod that requires that much work?

Because I assume one of three things can happen:
-Any non-Honda shop is not familiar with the PCX and can't disassemble the fairings.
-I use my dealer, and they charge a stupid amount($1,000+) in labor to install the one part.
-I use my dealer, and even THEY don't know how to completely disassemble/assemble the PCX back together.(I sincerely hope this won't be the case if they charged me the assembly fee to purchase it in the first place, and they DID supposedly assemble it).
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

The variator and the torque driver can be disassembled by anyone in the parking lot. It is very simple and there are many videos on youtube showing how to do it. Any scooter shop on the beach can install a vario or torque driver or exhaust while you watch in 1/2 an hour.
http://youtu.be/gxphUXeTwRY
http://youtu.be/fLmTPJc7k8I
Also, dealer assembly means they filled up the tires and connected the battery and put on the handle bars. That's about it.
typhon2222
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011 PCX 125
Color: Red

Post by typhon2222 »

ScooterMan wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:Post them for sale and I'm sure someone in the USA will buy them.
Yeah, someone here prob will. If the price goes high enough I'll start removing them off my bike! Lol.

And yes, to Clarify Sendler, 4-5mph for the vario, 5-6 mph for the drive face. For a total of 11mph gained with both pieces.

I have my 12g NCY rollers for sale on this site that I used for 1 mile just to test accel. I may just throw them on my 2013. We'll see.

Looking at the Kitaco Gear up kit or possibly just buying the gear from the 2013 model to get back the 2-3mph or so. That's only $18 plus $3 for a gasket. Could order that when I order my belts & other bit's/pieces that I need. Prob with Kitaco kit is that it's 3x's more money, and comes from webike, meaning I'd have to wait forever and pay a ton for shipping, making it prob $100. And, I really don't know how much better it is than the stock 2013 unit. If I can get 1/2 the speed back for 1/5 the price...why not.
Hi folks, hoping you'll take pity on a guy who has a lot of scooters, but is a mechanical idiot and knows nothing about how they work. :oops: :P

I'm interested in trying to squeeze out a few more MPH from my 2011 PCX 125. I read above that replacing the stock variator and drive face with the NCY versions will net me roughly 11 MPH gained.... (not that I really know what the heck those things are)... But I guess I'm wondering about the sliders. The NCY "Variator Set Special Golden Teflon Pulley' set seems to come with sliders as well. Do I want to replace the OEM sliders with the new NCY ones too, or leave the stock in? I guess switching sliders doesn't affect top speed, only acceleration curve or something like that?

Thanks in advance. :P

EDIT: oh yeah. My PCX has some 5,000 miles on it. Would I want to get a new OEM belt too? Thanks!
SCOOTS
Now: 2013 Honda PCX 150 / 2011 Honda PCX 125 / 2014 Honda Metro / 2014 Honda Metro
Before: 2015 Yamaha SMAX / 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 / 2006 Yamaha Vino 50 / 2013 Honda Metro

WOOTS
1988 Volkswagen Westfalia full camper