Takegawa Cam

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Takegawa Cam

Post by Branyers »

So I am contemplating getting one, but would like to hear from those who have already run this mod. Is it a difficult install, and most importantly, can it realistically be done without dropping the motor? Also is it a worthwhile install without fuel delivery modifications? I'd rather not fork out the cash for this only to find out it runs like crap without a new controller or larger injector. So before I take the plunge, I'd like to get some input. All replies welcomed and gratefully received.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Takegawa Cam

Post by Valiant »

It will run like crap without the Takegawa FiCon2. You don't need a larger injector however, but it's still doubtful you'll see any benefits from it without a big bore kit. You should be able to install the camshaft without yanking the motor, it's just that the FiCon2 unit might require a lot of panel removal to install.

Have you already done transmission mods? Seems like a bit of a jump to stick in a camshaft out of the gates.

I'm also curious about what it is you hope to gain with this mod?

I've thus far spent about 2 grand in parts(plenty of which were redundant), and my grand total gain in top speed(over stock) was about... 10 mph. Granted I'm missing a couple of pieces to make the thing run right, but the point to take away from this is that no amount of modding will make this scooter come close to say, a CBR 250.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Yes, it can be done without removing the head. First you need to remove chain tensioner then You need to undo the timing chain cog attached to the cam, pull out the cog and the cam, then slide in new cam following reattaching the cog and chain at the same time. It's fiddly but no need to remove the head. You will need to slide motor out from the frame to have room and space to work on it though..
It will work fine without efi controller or bigger injector but you would get most out of it if you install the controller as it has a specific map to run the cam setup...
It would be easy to install as everything would be accessible at the time of cam install. Besides it's only 4 wire connection, no need for cutting or soldering although that's how I've done mine..
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

I am looking to increase grunt and top end power. I have already performed just about every drive mod known to man. Performance is good, just trying to squeeze as much as I can out of her short of installing the bore kit. Currently my top speed is 76mph on the flats. If I could attain 80 with the cam mod, I would be happy.
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

Pcxdemon wrote:You will need to slide motor out from the frame to have room and space to work on it though..
So I would need to pull the motor, or at least remove the mounts and pull it out? Which, If I am going to do, would be wise to just go ahead and install the bbk while I'm at it.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Branyers wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:You will need to slide motor out from the frame to have room and space to work on it though..
So I would need to pull the motor, or at least remove the mounts and pull it out? Which, If I am going to do, would be wise to just go ahead and install the bbk while I'm at it.
Yes motor needs to be pulled back for the job. Camshaft will add pepines feel, slightly better acelaration and small power increase that you will feel but top end will always depend on your gearing and vario set up. In saying that it may give you more advantage against wind resistance and you may easier hit and cruise at your top end speeds.
If you would to go that far with a cam then yes I would do BBk cos it's not that much further time wise to do an install. BBk with a cam, throttle body and a good vario like a Daytona will see you do 9 sec to 60mph and a 85mph on the speedo ( mine reads 9% over) like a good slightly modded 300cc scoot but top
End will always depend on further gearing mods.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Branyers wrote:I am looking to increase grunt and top end power. I have already performed just about every drive mod known to man. Performance is good, just trying to squeeze as much as I can out of her short of installing the bore kit. Currently my top speed is 76mph on the flats. If I could attain 80 with the cam mod, I would be happy.
80 is optimistic, even with a BBK.

And is that 76 mph GPS or on the speedo? Mine got up to 81 on the speedo, but GPS insisted I was only going 74, and I had to go downhill for that.

You'd probably need something bigger than a 175cc BBK in order to achieve higher speeds(along with a KN Planning torque driver or longer gear sets). Yuminashi has a kit "in testing" for about $1200 for 196cc. RzRacing.nl also offered me a 192cc kit for about 2000 euros, which I promptly declined. But those require yanking the engine out in order to install a longer crankshaft.

Before shelling more money out for that, I'd go over the total costs(including installation if you want a shop to do it), and ask yourself if it wouldn't be cheaper to just buy a bigger scooter.
Pcxdemon wrote: Yes motor needs to be pulled back for the job. Camshaft will add pepines feel, slightly better acelaration and small power increase that you will feel but top end will always depend on your gearing and vario set up. In saying that it may give you more advantage against wind resistance and you may easier hit and cruise at your top end speeds.
If you would to go that far with a cam then yes I would do BBk cos it's not that much further time wise to do an install. BBk with a cam, throttle body and a good vario like a Daytona will see you do 9 sec to 60mph and a 85mph on the speedo ( mine reads 9% over) like a good slightly modded 300cc scoot but top
End will always depend on further gearing mods.
Is that wise? I thought the Takegawa kit was meant to run without TB, manifold, or injector mods.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

80 kph, maybe. 80mph in your dreams.

You are funny :D
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

76mph on the flats. Give me a hill to go down and a tailwind and I will hit 80mph without a doubt. This of course assumes my Kitaco speedometer is not lying to me. Next speed run my Garmin will accompany me to confirm.
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

you you wrote:80 kph, maybe. 80mph in your dreams.

You are funny :D
Bell end. Bet you're popular with the ladies.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Hmm, is there any particular reason why you don't want to install a BBK?

It might be possible to attain that speed without it. The Yuminashi camshaft is more aggressive than the Takegawa, and would probably give you enough juice if installed with the stiffer valve springs and high-lift intake/exhaust rockers.

I know they sell this kit specifically for those who don't want to install a big bore kit:
http://www.yuminashi.eu/pcx150-sh150-speed-combo/
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

Oh believe me I do, and I will eventually. I'm just a little pressed for time and money right now, so I'm looking at more simple, less expensive upgrades that can be completed in an hour or two max. This is why I love the roller weight and clutch mods, nice gains that can be accomplished in a matter of minutes.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

In that case, the Takegawa kit would be simpler to install. I'm not sure you could do it in 2 hours though.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

It's not a 2-hour job. If you have tiny hands and the dexterity of a gynecologist, you might be able to just remove the underseat pan and go through the shortcut way for a valve adjustment. There's no way I could do it like that, and I've worked on quite a few PCXes. I'd drop the engine. Fortunately, there is a howto here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2937

Removing all the panels is optional, but will make things simpler. There are harnesses up front you have to unclip, and you're less likely to do damage with a full disassembly. Just get some buddies and some beer and make a day out of it.

I have a cam for a mk1 non-esp PCX for sale here if you're interested: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3902
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

2011 and 2013 models used different camshafts. Not sure the parts are interchangeable.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

Is yours a 150 or 125? The cam I have will work for the 125cc model. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

Mine is a 2013 model, 150cc. I have the Kitaco high gear on order. Hope to get a few more mph out of it without yanking the motor.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Branyers wrote:Mine is a 2013 model, 150cc. I have the Kitaco high gear on order. Hope to get a few more mph out of it without yanking the motor.
Maybe?
It depends on why your speed isn't satisfactory to begin with. Can you hit the redline now?

Because if we're using a bicycle analogy, you can't pedal faster than 35 mph because your legs simply don't have the strength to push you faster. Shifting up more when that's the case isn't going to help you go faster unless you go downhill.

I wouldn't necessarily say you'd lose speed, just that you probably won't see any gains unless going downhill.
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

I just want to be able to hit 80mph without bumping up displacement. I know the bike is capable of it with the proper mods. I'm nearly there.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Branyers wrote:I just want to be able to hit 80mph without bumping up displacement. I know the bike is capable of it with the proper mods. I'm nearly there.
Again, is that 80 mph actual speed you're expecting? Flats or downhill?

I can get about 75 mph while going downhill, though admittedly Hawaii doesn't have the long and uninterrupted stretches of highway like you would see in the states, so I don't get as much room to accelerate before I have to back off the throttle in order to avoid smacking into the car in front of me.