Just rollers vs complete variator

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Just rollers vs complete variator

Post by chicaboo »

k2apache6.0 wrote:
chicaboo wrote:Yep, I was a little too scared to go all the way down to 10g, and 12g seemed to be just under that magical 8000rpm figure, so I took a chance on the 11g sliders. But some people have reported great success with 10g rollers, but I've not read of anyone using 10g sliders.
I found the thread and after reading some more into it you may have nailed it with 11g. Also found a post mentioning a German magazine who used 13g sliders with good results, so 11-13g as you stated all work well but to pull max rpm's the 11g might be the best bet. I was a little trepidous of abrupt throttle action at low rpm's or increased (severe) engine braking with light sliders but no one seems to mention it.
I've always had great engine braking on my PCX, even with the stock rollers, so I didn't notice any difference there.
Maybe because I'm a Clydesdale I don't notice any abruptness in the throttle either? Not since my very first ride when I bought it.
Tonyx
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by Tonyx »

I've installed NCY 13gram rollers based on the collective wisdom and have been very happy with the result. Noticeable improvement in acceleration and nil affect on fuel economy(I average 103mpg). Another happy customer on just the roller change!

Just for completeness of info, my top speed was and still is around 67mph where the rpm limiter kicks in. I don't need higher top speed so I'm set with the roller change.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by outlander »

I would like 12g sliders. On that site it lists multiple 12s I do not know whoch one I need. There are multiple x12 listed on there.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Dr Pulley 20x15mm SR2015 12g sliders are what you want in that case.
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Post by chainsaw »

11g Sliders or 10g rollers work perfectly for a stock 150. takeoff revs are just above 8000rpm and only drop slightly after that. I'm running 12g at the moment as I run a SP Takegawa contra spring and a Malossi clutch.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

The guy who supplied my sliders said you only use a firmer contra spring with heavier or stock rollers, as it performs a similar function to lighter rollers. He said to do one or the other and not both.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Do sliders wear down? Im looking at a set of barely used sliders.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Yeah, eventually they need replacing. I've got no idea how long they last though. I guess you can check them with the belt on a scheduled interval.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:Well so far you have backtracked multiple times, so I can't tell what you really want information on. Without adding anything else, the 13 gram rollers will help acceleration but not top end. As far as the drive face and variator go, after being on this forum for quite some time, and reading all of the opinions on the various types of variators and kits for the PCX, I came to the conclusion that the NCY variator and drive face combination, along with the 13 gram rollers is the best bang for the buck. That doesn't mean that you can't get better performance out of other kits, such as the big bore kit. It just means that for the small amount of money put out for those parts, you should be able to get some of the best boost. Also, it seems that NCY has been the most popular and has proven itself, so I would stick with them. I have just the 13 gram rollers on my bike and I have the 13 gram rollers plus the NCY variator and drive face on my wife's bike. Her bike can now leave mine in the dust and tops out at 75 mph, vs only 65 mph for mine.
To find these items in your part of the world, use Google and type in these words: NCY variator and drive face for PCX
How are the rpms with the NYC? Generally higher I would suppose. I hesitate to mod the bike for more speed on the consideration that this greater speed will be followed, as the dray horse by its cart, by greater wear.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

chicaboo wrote:
outlander wrote:Ok so which are the 12g. Why don't they list them as 12g and keep it simple.
What do you mean? You order the weight of your choosing in either rollers or sliders. I went with 11g, and Apache went with 12g, just take a punt...
The official size for our scoots is 20x15mm, but Yuminashi sell 18x15mm rollers as an alternative, and someone said Mallossi are a different size too.
The stock weight is said to be 15g in the LED, and as much as 18g in the OWL? It seems anything between 10-13g will work with a degree of success.

Gav.
I can confirm the weight of the OE rollers in the 2013 (Owl) is 18g, just weighed them on my digital scale after replacement with Dr Pulley 12g sliders. Will give the sliders a run tomorrow to test.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Kriden
Color: Pearl White

Post by Kriden »

Quick update: Hello all, just wanted to add to the info being passed along on this topic. Just completed my mods today. I installed the NCY Variator, Drive face and 13 gram rollers. All item #'s are in my signature. Rollers came from Amazon, rest from Scooterworks. Pleased so far with mod. Notisable difference in acceleration and the mod went well. Used impact drill to remove/install variator. Will get the PCX out on more open roads to see how top speed is now (and will report back). Was getting 63-65 MPH top speed before on flat, no wind conditions.

HUGE thanks to all on the forum. Some great info being shared and very helpful. Love the stuff Homie has posted here and on YouTube he saved many hours of time regarding my YSS shock install. Also had my seat replaced with model from BikerBitz (YSS shocks from there as well), and his awesome videos on YouTube were a God send. Would not have tackled these mods without his due diligence. This is one of the more unnecessarily complex scoots to get to the simple stuff regarding all the panels etc.

That's it for me mod wise. Scoot is really dialed in for my preferences (1100 miles now). Good luck with everyone's projects and rides. Be safe and most importantly, enjoy this great machine. One of the best out there for sure.
2015 PCX 150, YSS Shocks (XL), NCY Roller Weights (20x15- 13 gram), NCY Vari (Item# NCY-1029) and NCY Face (#1200-1193), TyreBeads- motorcycle balancing beads
Kriden

Post by Kriden »

Kriden wrote:Quick update: Hello all, just wanted to add to the info being passed along on this topic. Just completed my mods today. I installed the NCY Variator, Drive face and 13 gram rollers. All item #'s are in my signature. Rollers came from Amazon, rest from Scooterworks. Pleased so far with mod. Notisable difference in acceleration and the mod went well. Used impact drill to remove/install variator. Will get the PCX out on more open roads to see how top speed is now (and will report back). Was getting 63-65 MPH top speed before on flat, no wind conditions.

HUGE thanks to all on the forum. Some great info being shared and very helpful. Love the stuff Homie has posted here and on YouTube he saved many hours of time regarding my YSS shock install. Also had my seat replaced with model from BikerBitz (YSS shocks from there as well), and his awesome videos on YouTube were a God send. Would not have tackled these mods without his due diligence. This is one of the more unnecessarily complex scoots to get to the simple stuff regarding all the panels etc.

That's it for me mod wise. Scoot is really dialed in for my preferences (1100 miles now). Good luck with everyone's projects and rides. Be safe and most importantly, enjoy this great machine. One of the best out there for sure.

Update; 3rd July 2016- had a great ride today, over 75 miles. Hit my "testing" road and my top speed (under same conditions with stock items) showed a 5 MPH increase to about 68 MPH (no wind, no tuck- normal riding position, speedo indicated but my speedo has been checked to GPS and is very accurate). Actually spun rear wheel when starting off from side road (light gravel)- never could do that before. Acceleration was noticeably improved. Hit a stretch of highway and was able to keep up with cars and actually passed slower car @ 65 MPH with still some "umph" left. Felt stable and although windy, no problems.

I forgot to mention I also installed "TyreBeads" motorcycle balancing beads last year. I have been using the product for all my scooters over the years and like it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HX ... s_bw_c_x_8).

Then went into city (Philadelphia- July 4th weekend tons of traffic) to try out lots of stop and go. No fading, strong starts and really nice overall confidence in the feeling/riding of scoot.

So I am still happy with the PCX-150 and my mods regarding the Variator.

Happy trials!
2015 PCX 150, YSS Shocks (XL), NCY Roller Weights (20x15- 13 gram), NCY Vari (Item# NCY-1029) and NCY Face (#1200-1193), TyreBeads- motorcycle balancing beads
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Update: today I hit 120kph - tucking - down a short light hill, before catching up to traffic.
I didn't hit the rev limiter, but I couldn't have been far off of it had I had enough room.
My fuel consumption has increased from about 2.5~6L/100km to 2.8L/100km+ since the mods.

I've also developed a rattle/vibration? that I can hear over the sound of the bloody exhaust...
It seems to be present when hitting bumps combined with some throttle at lower speeds.
It might be coming from the front or middle of the scoot. Hard to tell with an helmet on, etc.
I might have to put the stock exhaust back on to try and isolate it. :?
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by BPT7594 »

chicaboo wrote:The guy who supplied my sliders said you only use a firmer contra spring with heavier or stock rollers, as it performs a similar function to lighter rollers. He said to do one or the other and not both.
I would advise against changing your contra spring, unless its manufacturer exclusively sells that aftermarket spring for your model and your model only. Changing the contra spring is much more complicated than changing the rollers. If you own a PCX or any esp engine, don't touch the contra spring. I have worked on multiple esp engines, PCX150, PCX125, Vario 150 etc. I tried almost every spring available and always came back to stock.

About the sliders, check it every 4000km, more if you do a lot of throttle changing during your commute. If you installed them correctly and I cannot stress it enough for new guys, please install them correctly, sliders will last about 10000km. But be sure to check them, I had one slider worn so much that it switches position and got stuck. Almost destroyed my transmission.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Who sells the ncy variator and face plate? Is it a different part for the 125 and 150?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I've ordered a Daytona variator and ADVANCEPro 14° drive face. It comes with 14g rollers, so I can mix with the 11g sliders for some testing.
Also ordered +23% clutch springs and Daytona reinforced belt to try out later so I don't contaminate my back to back comparison with variator.
Some items are on back-order, so I might not receive them for 2 weeks or more. Variator and drive face to be installed first opportunity I get.
Kriden

Post by Kriden »

outlander wrote:Who sells the ncy variator and face plate? Is it a different part for the 125 and 150?
When I received mine, it noted 125/150 on packaging. Homie has post with link to YouTube showing the items to get. I listed my product numbers in my signature below and where to get depends on where you live. You can Google the item numbers and you will get some good hits of good vendors. When I am back on computer I will reply with the online places I purchased my items from.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

There was a question concerning my revs with the 13 gram rollers. They Really higher and the bike can take off from a light quite well. After riding my wife's bike for a little while I have decided that I want to upgrade my variator and drive face as well. It is great to be able to move ahead of traffic or even to be able to keep up on a hill.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers