Clutch chatter

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Clutch chatter

Post by easyrider »

Glazing of the pads and bell seem to be all too common on this scooter.I find myself roughening pads and bell about every 2k miles.It makes a huge difference in smooth acceleration and deceleration.At the same time a greasing of all the inner and outer bearings are done routinely.Any better after market clutches than KWH( Honda)?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Clutch chatter

Post by fish »

I find that the clutch chatter disappears if I stop babying the throttle when I pull away.
Launch it with a solid throttle to lock up the clutch soonest, reduces clutch slipping which equals glazed pads.
Works on the Forza, Burgman and the Kymco.
Fish
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Yes, that does work well you are right, I just am always not in a position to nail it. I was wondering if any other after mkt clutch has better performance in this regard.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Lots of aftermarket clutches on http://japan.webike.net/ 125cc and 150cc are the same.
I've got a cheap KN Planning performance clutch sitting in a box for when it's needed.
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Post by BPT7594 »

I use, and sell, the stock 110 Honda scooter clutch pads to PCX engines all the time. It eliminates the clutch chatter issue almost 100%
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Where do you get those pads? Appreciate more info thx.
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BPT7594 »

easyrider wrote:Where do you get those pads? Appreciate more info thx.
I buy it normally from local Honda dealers. A clutch pad like that costs about 20$.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

BPT7594 wrote:
easyrider wrote:Where do you get those pads? Appreciate more info thx.
I buy it normally from local Honda dealers. A clutch pad like that costs about 20$.
So over time it performs better than the stock one - less prone to develop glazing?
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BPT7594 »

Next to "never". The problem is the weight of the clutch pads of the pcx. The material is also a cause.
I have had them on for over 10000 miles and no chatter even at very low speed.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Is there a part number to go by ??
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BPT7594 »

easyrider wrote:Is there a part number to go by ??
22535-KVB-900.
Don't buy from Thai site, they will cost you a lot.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I think I will order them straightaway.. However I noticed that the part number for the PCX is 22535-K35-Voo and the revised (110) is 2235-KVB -900. I was just wondering will there be any modification requirements since the part numbers differ. Will the springs need any attention or will there be any fitment issues to contend with..Thx
BPT7594
Regular User
Regular User

Post by BPT7594 »

easyrider wrote:I think I will order them straightaway.. However I noticed that the part number for the PCX is 22535-K35-Voo and the revised (110) is 2235-KVB -900. I was just wondering will there be any modification requirements since the part numbers differ. Will the springs need any attention or will there be any fitment issues to contend with..Thx
It fits like normal. No need to modify anything.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

BPT7594 wrote:
easyrider wrote:I think I will order them straightaway.. However I noticed that the part number for the PCX is 22535-K35-Voo and the revised (110) is 2235-KVB -900. I was just wondering will there be any modification requirements since the part numbers differ. Will the springs need any attention or will there be any fitment issues to contend with..Thx
It fits like normal. No need to modify anything.
You are 100 % correct.Appreciate the great tip . Installed and works perfectly FYI link below

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AvV-j2ZMUDvrnRSXsFyPPASrLYNM
fast1075
Color: black

Post by fast1075 »

I am at 10K miles. Clutch chatter is at times maddening. I bought new KVB pads, and a new driven pulley and belt. I am going to install them soon.
The Fasterizer
op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019

Post by op3l »

Necroing an old thread cause the clutch drives me nuts sometimes on my 2018(or 2019 in the US) PCX 150.

Would the 22535-KVB-900 clutch work for my PCX or is that for the 125 version only?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

They're now selling carbon type aftermarket clutch pads that solved the problem. Used mine 30,000 kms without any problems.

I think you can find them in Vietnam as well
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

I bought the generic clutch pads mentioned above long ago as clutch chatter was bad for me - however, over a year on I am still on the orginals as I found cleaning the powerdery crud out of the housing and not being too gentle has eliminated the issue entirely, so still on the original pads as stated and 20,000 miles on they still look in good condition and work great.
I've never gone full throttle, just give it a bit of gas to start rather than slowly turning the throttle from start-off like I did when new.
op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019

Post by op3l »

alx123 wrote:They're now selling carbon type aftermarket clutch pads that solved the problem. Used mine 30,000 kms without any problems.

I think you can find them in Vietnam as well
I'll give those a search, but as I'm not too familiar with the local language here it's easier for me to just get the original honda part. Thus why I'm trying to find if the 22535-KVB-900 clutch will work for PCX 150 as well.
iceman wrote:I bought the generic clutch pads mentioned above long ago as clutch chatter was bad for me - however, over a year on I am still on the orginals as I found cleaning the powerdery crud out of the housing and not being too gentle has eliminated the issue entirely, so still on the original pads as stated and 20,000 miles on they still look in good condition and work great.
I've never gone full throttle, just give it a bit of gas to start rather than slowly turning the throttle from start-off like I did when new.
Now that you mention it, it seems to only happen when I go on rides with my wife. She prefers slower speeds so I usually start off gently and usually by the 4th light the bike will shudder like crazy pulling away from a stop. I've been throttling the bike with both brakes held firm and letting it grind away some of the clutch material and that'll smooth it out for a bit.

When I ride by myself though I accelerate pretty hard and yea, not much issue there. Only going over the odd speed bumps does it shudder again.

I would still like to switch the part but I'm not too technical savvy. Could I just go to the honda dealer, ask for the part number and install it or are there any changes that need to be made?