How fast would you want to go on your PCX 125/150?

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: How fast would you want to go on your PCX 125/150?

Post by Pcxdemon »

Urbanian wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote: if one wants to cruise at 60 all day long on the Pcx than one has to drop the rpm down at that speed .The way to do it is get ...
... a 150.
:lol: Variator or gear up is waaaay cheaper than upgrading to a 150.... :roll:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, but a 150 is sooo much fun! It has power to spare at 60, so doing 70 is somewhat normal for it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

Variator or gear up is waaaay cheaper than upgrading to a 150....

Not with the damage it caused to my bike after 5000 miles... (but the J Costa did at least work for me, as I posted video on it before)

Anyway, hopefully if maddiedog does indeed bore the pcx I am looking forward to seeing the results done in his usual scientific method with posted video. I am looking to sell my Silverwing. The weight on this thing is brutal. I had another spill on my side due to quick stopping in rush hour traffic. A lighter bike is better. If boring the bike is not an option than I will go Kymco (they are here in my area) and get a Downtown.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Faster than a speeding bullet
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

jasontheparamedic wrote:
Variator or gear up is waaaay cheaper than upgrading to a 150....

Not with the damage it caused to my bike after 5000 miles... (but the J Costa did at least work for me, as I posted video on it before)

Anyway, hopefully if maddiedog does indeed bore the pcx I am looking forward to seeing the results done in his usual scientific method with posted video. I am looking to sell my Silverwing. The weight on this thing is brutal. I had another spill on my side due to quick stopping in rush hour traffic. A lighter bike is better. If boring the bike is not an option than I will go Kymco (they are here in my area) and get a Downtown.
What damage happened? Maybe incorrect installation?! Its a first ever ive heard variator damage on the Pcx and i would know,ive tried several aftermarket varios (and they did improve performance,some considerably) with no problems to report after 10000miles so far...
Anyway what do you think you would be out of pocket trading your Pcx for Downtown?
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

What damage happened? Maybe incorrect installation?! Its a first ever ive heard variator damage on the Pcx and i would know,ive tried several aftermarket varios (and they did improve performance,some considerably) with no problems to report after 10000miles so far...
Anyway what do you think you would be out of pocket trading your Pcx for Downtown?
Some of my J Costa slider balls (whatever they are really called...) fused into the variator itself, possibly from the heat from my rather rough use of the PCX, as at that time I was primarily performing home health based nursing (I am mainly a nurse) and riding around a lot in a large county with a mix of city and rural areas. The PCX began to rattle uncontrollably and would get stuck in gear. If not for the center stand it would ride off on its own! Here is the thread I made regarding this issue.

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=808
ItsaHonda
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ItsaHonda »

I think 70-75 would be the ideal top speed to make the PCX a good DO ALL commuter, being able to tackle freeways and interstates. However, I am perfectly satisfied with the 60mph top speed of my PCX because I very seldom have to take it faster than 50 mph on the roads that I ride it on.
Alex
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650
2011 Honda PCX 125
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

jasontheparamedic wrote:
Some of my J Costa slider balls (whatever they are really called...) fused into the variator itself, possibly from the heat from my rather rough use of the PCX, as at that time I was primarily performing home health based nursing (I am mainly a nurse) and riding around a lot in a large county with a mix of city and rural areas. The PCX began to rattle uncontrollably and would get stuck in gear. If not for the center stand it would ride off on its own! Here is the thread I made regarding this issue.

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=808
Yea bad luck i guess,i never really fancied J Costa at those prices...But still what other damage did the scoot sustain from the vario bar the vario it self? Hardly justifies saying its worth upgrading to 150cc and be extra what $2000?!! out of pocket than trying one of the more conventional aftermarket varios that only cost $100 at your door and have already proven performance gain...Pcx 125 with a Takegawa vario and Takegawa exhaust will be as good as a 150cc or slightly better from my experience..BUT 150cc with same mods will be better again...
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Yea bad luck i guess,i never really fancied J Costa at those prices...But still what other damage did the scoot sustain from the vario bar the vario it self? Hardly justifies saying its worth upgrading to 150cc and be extra what $2000?!! out of pocket than trying one of the more conventional aftermarket varios that only cost $100 at your door and have already proven performance gain...Pcx 125 with a Takegawa vario and Takegawa exhaust will be as good as a 150cc or slightly better from my experience..BUT 150cc with same mods will be better again...
I would not spend such outrageous money form loss of trade-in value and new sales taxes, etc, on a 150. If/when that Forza (PCX) 300 comes to the USA would make me definitely change my mind.
tuanies
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tuanies »

I would like a solid 70MPH without bouncing off the rev limiter, and 80MPH max so I can take it on the highway.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

I was very frustrated yesterday, when my PCX 150 wouldn't go an indicated 100 km/h comfortably two-up. I faced a strong headwind, it rained sporadically and the road was invested with crazy cagers -- one of them trying to overtake me on the left (shoulder) when I refused to drive on the shoulder myself. There was a lorry parked on the shoulder a short distance from that spot. That was the obvious reason I was riding my PCX pretty close to the center line, and there was a pick-up truck just in front of me. Yet again that cager tried to squeeze his vehicle in.

On major highways the PCX 150 feels useless. There's no power when twisting that throttle and overtaking takes ages. Even at the highest revs it sounds quiet, though, which is a good thing but adds to the feeling of not going anywhere. It's a city scooter, and quite able at that, but here in Thailand a Wave is less bulky and easier to handle/park on congested streets. I'm seriously considering bigger alternatives (Forza 300, even a car) and buying another Wave to use in my own neighbourhood.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
nribeiro
Regular User
Regular User

Post by nribeiro »

I want to reach 87! I can do 80 mph downhill but struggles to reach 74/75 on flats! If I managed to reach 74/75 (120 kph) on flats and easily 130 kph on slight downhills it's perfect. I need to buy probably another vario since mine it's a lot faster from 0-80 kph but rpm's drop a lot and from here it's more difficult to go until 120.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

i've hit 75mph downhill with the NCY variator and Ncy drive face. 75mph is plenty fast! Average is more like 65, and all depends on the road condition. Being flat, incline etc...
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Call me insane. I'd like to see 90-100mph just to say it could do it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, but who would be around to say that you did it? At 80 mph your bike would stsrt to float, and at 90 it would not be able to handle crosswinds. At 100 mph it would be so light that you wouldn't be able to control it, and you would find yourself and you pcx tumbling down the highway. It is just too light for that kind of speed. I think 75 would be the max it could safely do.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

mine feels solid at 80 but im a bigger guy though. this is downhill with the yuminashi vario i have hit 85 a few times and never hit the limiter since install.
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

From experience the bike does feel quite solid at 80. I can imagine 90 wouldn't be too bad.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:From experience the bike does feel quite solid at 80. I can imagine 90 wouldn't be too bad.
+1
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Warp factor 7 for me

But warp factor 8 would be ok on the mainstand
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

you you wrote:Warp factor 7 for me

But warp factor 8 would be ok on the mainstand
I hear maddie is doing second round of culling in the performance section.. :o