Variators for increased speed,

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

So who has a modified variator and does it increase top speed by much? Does anything else need changing along with the variator?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Variators for increased speed,

Post by maddiedog »

Ah, the infamous variator thread. ;)

Taking a purely scientific approach, looking at this thread, you can see that three people changed just their variator. Two got results, the other one didn't. I believe there was someone else on ClubPCX who changed their variator to no avail as well. So, it looks like you're 50-50.

I'm under the impression that there is a limiter built in to the speed sensor, so I think the variator will only get you to the top speed faster.

Until someone measures before-after speeds definitively, I'm not sure it's worth it. I would think changing the ECU would give you more gains, because it would remove or make the limiter kick in at a higher speed or RPM. That would run your engine into redline though, and could blow it up. The modern 4-stroke engines in the PCX aren't as durable as old 2-strokes, so blowing up your engine is a real possibility. :P
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Esdain »

i was wondering how long it would take for one of these to pop up :)
i've not changed my variator for the simple reason of i can't see it increasing top speed, acceleration yes, but top end no, speedo and computer controlled shizzle i don't understand limits that
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

maddiedog wrote: The modern 4-stroke engines in the PCX aren't as durable as old 2-strokes, so blowing up your engine is a real possibility. :P
Only thing overrevving is going to do that could kill our engines is floating the valves. I doubt that the margin is that thin that setting the rev-limiter a bit higher will cause that. More likely the engine will just not produce enough power for the extra revs to have any impact. IIRC the rev limiter kicks in at around 9300RPM? Max power is at 8500, so it's already dropping off a bit, max torque is quite a bit lower still. If the max power and torque RPMs were a bit higher (different cam profiles, different design of the intake/exhaust, different dimensions of the cilinder/valves), then a higher rev limiter would make more sense.

As is, I'd say that a slightly longer final ratio + a delete of the speed limiter would be quite enough to have our PCXs comfortable cruise at 60 and top out at 70.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

The variator face still has some unused space, which could be easily used by shortening the spacer between the two pulleys. That would make the final drive ratio longer... I posted about experimenting with this earlier, but never actually did... I might have to get back to try that. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
PT63

Post by PT63 »

I've found by adding a short givi screen has given a marked improvement, i don't go any faster but i seem to get up to speed quicker and
stay there easier. I went for a ride yesterday and coming home i was against a head wind and the speedo was at 65mph, so actual speed
was probably 60mph, with the bike showing no sign of strain.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Hmm guess I will sit on the fence for a good while longer. I just hope someone somehow finds a definite and not to expensive way to get another 5 mph top speed.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I won't be spending £150 to get an extra 5mph. That would last me all year in fuel costs!
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

Alibally wrote:I won't be spending £150 to get an extra 5mph. That would last me all year in fuel costs!
You must not be riding much then :P
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

Fiah wrote:
Alibally wrote:I won't be spending £150 to get an extra 5mph. That would last me all year in fuel costs!
You must not be riding much then :P
240 miles a month back and forward to work. £15 per month minus the really crappy days it doesn't get used.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

That's a lot of miles, but I do well over twice that per month. :P

The PCX is an economy-focused scooter, you won't really get much at all out of any performance mods for it. Honda has already tuned it to near-perfection. Every forum, article, etc. has bias depending on context... Since the other forum is run by a bunch of gearheads that sell performance parts, they'll naturally be pitching and supporting higher speeds. A lot of what was said there was exaggeration, and anything that didn't support the products sold there was removed. The placebo effect with performance parts runs rampant, because no one wants to admit they were ripped off. :lol: If anyone here ever actually buys a JCosta variator, they should do before-after acceleration, mpg, and top speed comparisons from a scientific viewpoint, rather than an "OMG IT WORKS" standpoint, it would finalize this whole mess once and for all.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

[quote="maddiedog"]That's a lot of miles, but I do well over twice that per month. :P

The PCX is an economy-focused scooter.

This is the reason I got it. Spending a fortune on "tuning" parts defeats the idea of cheap commuting for me. I might get a screen though , but I cannot justify spending my hard earned cash on variators and the like.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

thats also why I bought my pcx. When my old SV650 engine ate the shit, I wanted another motorcycle, until I admitted to myself that what i want, is different than what I need.

The pcx is more than twice as fuel efficient as my SV was and has tons of storage. Unlike me with motorcycles, I have no desire to put a lot of money into it, especially on performance mods. The only way I will change the variator is if I have proof it makes a notable difference. Other than that, the PCX is a fine machine, and at nearly 5,000 miles, its fully broken in and has become peppier on its own. The colder weather is helping out too =]
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Hi all!! Anyone missed me?? 8)
Last edited by Pcxdemon on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Ive tried Kitaco 110kmh,Daytona 125kmh,Takegawa 125kmh, variators with different weights and Dr Pulley sliders and then as a last option took my stock variator and had a play with that one . Ive tried 10g rollers which gave me better acceleration + extra top speed to 116kmh, sliders top speed 122kmh. ( stock rollers are 15g ).
So you could say that if you get your self some Dr Pulleys sliders you should be able to get extra 6kmh ( i say 6kmh extra as my top speed is 122kmh,will differ to yours because i am running i-map with my limiter raised by 300rpm) - ( i recommend 10g in size ).
My belt goes right up to the top of the pulley now literally.
Can anyone understand this gibberish? :lol: :roll:
By the way i tried Givi screen briefly and found it fairly good, acceleration was good,gets to 110-115kmh easy but felt like it didn't want to go any faster afterwards like to 122kmh. My Kitaco aero screen worked better there....There is a new screen on Webike for $56 made by Madmax. Looks like same size as Givi so it may be a real viable option instead of Givi for someone not wanting to spend double the amount $$. Im considering one just cos its sooo cheap ;)
Also i got Torque Cam few weeks back but had some issues,its back at Webike now for the exchange.
:ugeek:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Pcxdemon wrote:Can anyone understand this gibberish?
Yes, we can understand it perfectly.
What's harder to understand is exactly what makes anyone want to waste large amounts of money making a slow but economical scooter into a slow but uneconomical scooter.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

:| but how would you know? What have you done to yours and how much money have you spend to be able to say that?
I can still get over 200km out of my tank with everything done to it, so its still economical by economy standards and considerably faster than stock.Why i waste my money? 'Cos its a hobby i guess. I don't waste my money on alcohol or drugs so gotta have something to dwindle my thumbs. You should say thank you for sharing my mod experience as Ive must have spend lots of money and time with this....
Its easy to sit on the fence and throw comments all the time but if you want your comment to carry some weight than you need to have first hand experience
with modding 'your' Pcx and share your knowledge.....Other bikes don't count as this is PCX forum. So participate valuably on another non modifying topic or sht the f up! 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Pcxdemon wrote:You should say thank you for sharing my mod experience
Yawn.
No-one gives a toss about how much money you've spent on whatever questionable pieces of tat you've bolted on your scooter.
Or should that read... had someone else bolt on your scooter?
The fact is that there is only one viable way to get a decent performance boost out of a PCX and that is to trade it in for a bigger engined scooter.
Anyone who says anything different is either deluded or just a plain liar.

As for the value of what I say and whether I should or should not be allowed to say it, take it up with the site admin if you don't like it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

My dinky little new mirrors have increase speed. And if I go on a diet that will increase speed. But dont think I will change my variators!
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Esdain »

these bikes just aren;t built for speed. economy is the key, i won;t slag anyone off if they have spent money on a vary mod. i won't be tho, i don;t mine dressing it up to look a bit different and modding it to make it more cost effective (air filter for e.g.) hell i put a digital clock on mine coz 1: it looks cool and 2: the pcx does;t have one as standard.
personal preference in the end, but until i see scientific evidence that first the speed limiter (uk) and then the rev litter can be changed reliably and that a vary mod makes a noticeable speed increase without putting excessive strain on the engine then i'll not even bother replying in this thread