Variators for increased speed,

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Variators for increased speed,

Post by mikelx5 »

ok so its ordered with the contra and torque driver
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by buddy1976 »

mikelx5 wrote:has anybody had a problem with the clutch getting to hot from the red springs
No problems up to now
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

buddy1976 wrote:
Mgalutia88 wrote:Buddy1976 What is your top speed with the multivar?
70mph on the clock

And the time?
heinz57g

Post by heinz57g »

@buddy1976, was looking for ex-DYLAN owners around here, and came across you - any chance you could help me with my problem in this post - http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... lan#p39543 ?

would be more than appreciated - heinz -
Decipher

Post by Decipher »

Hey guys. This is my first post and I'm certainly not looking for spoon-fed info. I've been reading and researching for months. This site has been fantastic but sorting through all of the variator combinations is impossible. So, here is my simple question if someone can please chime in:

My wife is looking for quicker acceleration on her 2013 PCX150. Top speed isn't much of an issue. She's 5'3" and a whopping 110 lbs. She just wants more grunt down low to better keep up with me when we ride together (I ride a Triumph Street Triple R for those who are curious).

Yogibabu posted his comment which was helpful:
"I recently changed variatior for the Jcosta one..... GARBAGE !!!!! Then yesterday i took the garbage out and replaced it with the malossi variator (2000) with 10.5gr rollers.
Acceleration is fantastic and top speed i dont see much difference from the stock same top speed as with the original 15gr oem honda rollers."

Without opening too much debate, because it seems everyone prefers their own setup, is there one or two combos that seem best suited for quicker off-the-line acceleration? We are already running a GPR Furore full exhaust system without silencer. Thanks!
mikelx5
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mikelx5 »

so i have heard good things about mallossi across a lot of low displacement scoots that being said i havent used it. i tried the yuminashi it was good acceleration but not much over stock(do not use sliders it will start eating belts) but top speed way up i got to 88mph at one point on a long hill, never hit the rev limiter. but i have found that my kn planning vario is really strong till 50 and then steady up to 60 topping out at 70. this being said im about twice your wifes weight and im assuming a lot wider also.
DISOBEDIENCE CREW
chainsaw
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 150esp
Color: white/carbon

Post by chainsaw »

Ive just gone back to using a full kitaco setup after trying yuminashi, sp takegawa and stock combos. it gives awesome acceleration with 13g sliders being the best weight. top speed (gps) is 114kmh. it hits the top speed quite easily and my scooter is less aerodynamic than most.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Daytona vario with interchangeable ramps, 12g dr pulley sliders, advance pro drive face and a good reinforced belt. This will net you around 80 mph on the stand with great acceleration. I'd say 73-75 mph on a flat.
Decipher

Post by Decipher »

Thanks so much for the responses, fellas. I have a lot more reading to do, but I appreciate your real-world feedback. My girl just really wants more grunt off the line, so I'll have to compile my top three findings and maybe check back.

From what I'm gathering, a reinforced belt is a must regardless of what I do. Again, thank you for the info. I try not to clutter forums when I can find the info I'm looking for through searching, but the combos seem nearly endless.
Sh3p
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Sh3p »

Decipher...

T675????????????

i'm after the same performance mod, its seems the lowest common denominator is a reinforced belt and lightweight sliders to start.
Old enough to know its a bad idea, young enough not to care

Fleet:
-08' Triumph Daytona 675 -(no org) #159
-05' Kawasaki KX65 -UMRA #677
-13' Honda PCX150
-10' Scion TC
-09' Scion Xb

I must only be faster than one person. Myself.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Wow, lots of feedback here.

I had the NCY super transmission kit ($250-$300) and it was a rocket off the line! However, around 50mph you had slower accel to fonal top speed of 72 mph. I removed the clutch that came with the kit and put the stock one back on and now just run the NCY variator, NCY drive face, and OEM rollers which nets me 79mph top speed with a brand new belt. This setup can be purchased separately for about $90.

Frankly, her weight of 110lbs should make that a desireable trade-off. She really shouldn't need any more low, but if she wants it, she will have to give up some mid-range or top speed to get it. You really can't have it all. Just like on a motorcycle, you want low end, you gotta pay for it with loss of top speed.

I'd bee willing to sell you the whole NCY rear clutch assy with the stiffer contra spring and higher launch RPM...that would certainly get her off the line quicker. It may have an effect of top speed however. If you find you want the top speed back, just add the NCY variator and NCY drive face as I mentioned in the 1st paragraph.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Decipher

Post by Decipher »

Sh3p wrote:Decipher...

T675????????????

i'm after the same performance mod, its seems the lowest common denominator is a reinforced belt and lightweight sliders to start.
OOOOOOH YYEEEEEEAAAAAAH! I'm all over the interwebz. Haha. Looks like we have a lot in common. I'm trying to help my girl get the most out of her scootin experience. Who am I kidding? I love riding this lil scooter. It's great for lil trips and keeps me from wearing a backpack.
Decipher

Post by Decipher »

ScooterMan wrote:Wow, lots of feedback here.

I had the NCY super transmission kit ($250-$300) and it was a rocket off the line! However, around 50mph you had slower accel to fonal top speed of 72 mph. I removed the clutch that came with the kit and put the stock one back on and now just run the NCY variator, NCY drive face, and OEM rollers which nets me 79mph top speed with a brand new belt. This setup can be purchased separately for about $90.

Frankly, her weight of 110lbs should make that a desireable trade-off. She really shouldn't need any more low, but if she wants it, she will have to give up some mid-range or top speed to get it. You really can't have it all. Just like on a motorcycle, you want low end, you gotta pay for it with loss of top speed.

I'd bee willing to sell you the whole NCY rear clutch assy with the stiffer contra spring and higher launch RPM...that would certainly get her off the line quicker. It may have an effect of top speed however. If you find you want the top speed back, just add the NCY variator and NCY drive face as I mentioned in the 1st paragraph.
Wow, man. Thanks! This is excellent info and feedback. I appreciate it so much. PM me if you're serious about parting with the set.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

After all that has been said about them, I am trying to determine if changing the variator will at least give me a little more top end on my 150, like 75 mph. So far I have read good things about the NCY, the Yuminashi, and the Takegawa. Which one would give me the best top end for the buck and still be dependable? I am hoping that someday I can put a big bore kit on, but until then I hope to get a little more top end.
I am open to discussion about which one would be best, though I know many of you don't see this upgrade as worthwhile as apposed to a big bore kit plus additional parts like a better exhaust.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Mel46 wrote:After all that has been said about them, I am trying to determine if changing the variator will at least give me a little more top end on my 150, like 75 mph. So far I have read good things about the NCY, the Yuminashi, and the Takegawa. Which one would give me the best top end for the buck and still be dependable? I am hoping that someday I can put a big bore kit on, but until then I hope to get a little more top end.
I am open to discussion about which one would be best, though I know many of you don't see this upgrade as worthwhile as apposed to a big bore kit plus additional parts like a better exhaust.
If you can get to the rev limit(67) easily, then MAYBE 75 on flats, you should be able to get 75 downhill though. I only know the Yuminashi which seems to be good for mid range. 8)