Wider Tires

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Wider Tires

Post by dasshreddar »

I've been thinking about installing wider than stock tires on a pcx.
Like a 120 front and 140 rear on stock rims, anybody try this yet, or how wide can you go without fender mods etc?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Wider Tires

Post by gn2 »

dasshreddar wrote:I've been thinking about installing wider than stock tires on a pcx.
Why?
The standard size tyres are more than good enough.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

Stock ones are too skinny...
I'm thinking 120/70 front and 140/60 rear
Mainly for grip and traction, and dirt roads etc.

how wide are the stock 14 rims?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Wider tyres need not mean better grip or traction in all circumstances.
Modern bike tyres are wide because of fashion, not function.
The sizes you quote are 10mm wider than the ones on such behemoths as the Kawasaki Z1300 which had to cope with 130bhp and the weight of roughly two and a half PCXs at speeds of up to 140mph.
By all means fit larger ones if you can get them to fit and they are recommended by the manufacturer, but the only real reason for doing so is for the look.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

The rest of the world probably thinks that the Z1300 was an undertyred monster and that modern radial tyre development since then was probably a positive thing
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Most people have never even sat on never mind ridden a Z1300.
Radial or not the current trend for wide tyres is a fashion thing.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

I concur with qed and gn2, they're wide enough. But if you still want them bigger, bear in mind that whatever you install with affect the performance and fuel efficiency of the bike. Not worth it, IMHO.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Here's a cool tool for you to experiment to see what will fit: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5

I can understand a taller tire (for more gearing), but a wider tire won't add performance. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Get some Michelin City Grips. You can lean so far over in a corner that you scrape the panels. See here.

Plenty of grip and very predictable, I can't see a bigger tyre giving any advantage over standard sizes - braking maybe? Anyone know?
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

You do not need city grips to lean enough to scrape your panels. I get the sparks flying with the stock tyres :-)
Though buying city grips as my next tyre, far cheaper than the stock ones.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

yeah, edscoot I like the city grips too, I have a 140/60-13 rear on my ruckus.
I would think for sure a wider tire would stop you faster anyway.
Just got my pcx yesterday, will see about those stock tires... :lol:
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

Reason why I installed PIRELLIS on mine is because

1) cheaper than the stock DUNLOP TT900's that came with the 150 PCX.

2) the rubber is stronger and harder than the Dunlops soft compound.

3) the new set will last longer than the Dunlops.

and (wait for it)....

4) fashion ;-)
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

So, black bandit your running a "stock size rear diablo" 100/90/14, on the front right?
notice any difference besides compound?
I like the wider look too, but I think I would rather have a sticky skinny, than a hard fatty :lol:
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

FYI, I noticed that Motorcycle Superstore has a Michelin City Grip Rear Tire in an 80 series 110/80-14...
However I checked the Michelin website and they dont have a city grip in that size :?
When it comes time to buy a new rear I will probably get this one, hopefully they will make a 100/80/14 for the front :roll:
p.s. I'm liking the stock Dunlops more than I thought I would...
Kochegarova

Post by Kochegarova »

If your looking at dirt road or green lane riding you need to be more concerned with tread type over width. Finding a compromise between road/dirt without having to completely change the tires when changing surface is hard. Dirt tires won't grip tarmac well especially in the wet, road tires won't dig in the dirt. However why on earth you'd want to try to off-road a scooter is beyond me, sound like a one way ticket to the hospital not to mention killing your scooter. My only advice for off-road riding would be buy a second bike built to do just that. However for road use a slightly wider tire has some benefit in shock absorbing, the extra flex in the tire helps smooth out rough roads and reduces vibration. The difference in contact patch is negligible so your performance will not suffer and I think aesthetically it look better than stock. Best of luck with that.

PS if you do off road your PCX PLEASE post it up on YouTube and hit me back, I do like a good laugh.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

Welcome to the forum Kochegarova and thanks for your reply. I think a size or two wider tire with a more aggressive tread pattern than a City Grip, (but still smooth center for the street)would be ideal for me.
Unfortunately not so many choices for a 14" tire in the US. I think the Michelin City Grip is my only choice for now...
Why would I off-road a scooter, cuz it's FUN o_O :D and it gets me from A to B.
Sure, I'm not going WOT like on a dirt bike, the PCX needs a bit more suspension for that :lol:
A quarter of my riding is off road(dirt fire roads mostly), I'll pretty much ride any trail that the PCX has the ground clearance for,
the steep loose dirt trails dont really work uphill with the stock tires, but going down them is fun.
No videos, but I'll post some off road pics in the gallery for you. :)
Check out some of Black Bandit's videos, I ride like that, but in more mountainous terrain ;)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Kochegarova wrote: PS if you do off road your PCX PLEASE post it up on YouTube and hit me back, I do like a good laugh.
I've taken my PCX offroads when camping many times. It handles fine, just don't expect stability in corners with street tires. Snoopy took his PCX over creek crossings and offroads all over the place (then again, his PCX did blow up).

Black Bandit has some good pics and vids offroading, here's some pics: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=880 and http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 688#p12688 and here's one of the many videos he's posted: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 731#p12731 :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

I recently put a 120/70-14 on the front and a 140/70-14 on the back. The original tires were worn and I like the look of a wider tire. At the same time I changed the box shaped breather to a can shaped one. Someone told me yesterday that had I put the wider tire on without swapping out the breather, then the tire would have rubbed on the original box. I did note that when the box was removed it meant there was nothing to attach the inside splash/mud guard to and it was almost touching the new tire. I was able to thread a zip tie through the hole where the box had been attached and raised it about 5mm, which gives enough clearance now. The front fender is close to the tire, but there is just enough clearance. Thus, I don't think anything larger than a 120/70 on the front and a 140/70 on the back would work, and even then, the breather box would likely have to be swapped out.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

kramnala58 wrote:I recently put a 120/70-14 on the front and a 140/70-14 on the back. The original tires were worn and I like the look of a wider tire. At the same time I changed the box shaped breather to a can shaped one. Someone told me yesterday that had I put the wider tire on without swapping out the breather, then the tire would have rubbed on the original box. I did note that when the box was removed it meant there was nothing to attach the inside splash/mud guard to and it was almost touching the new tire. I was able to thread a zip tie through the hole where the box had been attached and raised it about 5mm, which gives enough clearance now. The front fender is close to the tire, but there is just enough clearance. Thus, I don't think anything larger than a 120/70 on the front and a 140/70 on the back would work, and even then, the breather box would likely have to be swapped out.
And whats it like to ride it with wider tires? Do you think its affecting its speed in anyway? I asume handling would improve dramaticly...

Cheers
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Pcxdemon wrote:I assume handling would improve dramaticly...Cheers
---------------
Wishful thinking. If that was true, Honda would have wider tyres installed by default. They cost marginally more, if any. If you want more stability (better handling), get better shocks.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.