PCX 150 Further mods

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Re: PCX 150 Further mods

Post by Mgalutia88 »

The takegawa FIcon2 is installed. The kn planning torque driver and chameleon factory contra spring bearing together raised rpms from 6800-7000rpm while in the variator. I received the yuminashi gates belt and contra spring today. Also received malossi clutch springs.

The Gates belt p/n is SB50053. I can't fint this anywhere on the net but it's the gates number. I'm thinking I will email or call gates to find out if it's available stateside. Maybe there is an alternate p/n or maybe it's custom made.

The FIcon2 made a large improvement in power so far but I have not been over 40mph on it yet.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:The takegawa FIcon2 is installed. The kn planning torque driver and chameleon factory contra spring bearing together raised rpms from 6800-7000rpm while in the variator. I received the yuminashi gates belt and contra spring today. Also received malossi clutch springs.

The Gates belt p/n is SB50053. I can't fint this anywhere on the net but it's the gates number. I'm thinking I will email or call gates to find out if it's available stateside. Maybe there is an alternate p/n or maybe it's custom made.

The FIcon2 made a large improvement in power so far but I have not been over 40mph on it yet.
Is it possible that new torque driver and spring bearings made the difference instead the FIcon2?
Changing too many things at the same time is bad idea as you dont now what did what....
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PCX 150 Further modsq

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Vlad, as we have found out before, more power drops rpms and we need lighter weights. You are correct about doing too many things at once. I'm guessing it was the torque driver and spring bearing. I will install the jumper wire to find out.

So last night I installed the new gates belt. The change in performance was a 1mph loss in top speed. The belt is the same length as the original and has softer sides where the belt tapers it seems than my Daytona belt. Moral of the story, any reinforced stock size belt will work with the Yuminashi variator.

Next I installed the Yuminashi contra spring and Malossi clutch springs. I found that this eliminated my low end shudder AND seriously increased acceleration. I can feel the bike make more power. This also raised WOT acceleration rpm to 7400-7500rpm. I couldn't see too clearly I was catching glimpses of the tach between street lights.

Now the scoot goes like stink! If I fine tune the variator to 8000 rpm it will be cool to see what happens.

ADDITIONAL INFO!!!
With the torque driver installed the belt rises above the top of the variator at 9600rpm at 89mph. It is not in danger of coming off however now has only about 1/8" clearance between the case and the belt. I don't think I'll be riding 89mph anyway though.

I will go and test top speed with the gps and update everyone.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Vlad I did shim the variator like we talked about and with the clutch springs installed I took the additional shim out and there was no vibration. This means that the shim that comes with the Yuminashi variator is the perfect size.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

To correct my earlier post, wot rpms are now sitting at 7320rpm. Any ideas on what weight rollers to swap to? This is with 12g rollers.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

So for my first highway ride I held 70mph uphill and then went 77mph on flat against the wind. I'll do a speed run in the next few days.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:To correct my earlier post, wot rpms are now sitting at 7320rpm. Any ideas on what weight rollers to swap to? This is with 12g rollers.
Id say 10g would be safe bet or may even drop to 9.5 in total...
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Is there a suggested brand of rollers for durability?
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:Is there a suggested brand of rollers for durability?
Daytona seem pretty good. Dont get Kitaco,they wear real quick. Sliders are the best durability wise, they can last up to 50k where rollers last only 10k before or even earlier there is noticeable performance drop.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I went the cheap route and purchased kn planning rollers from Webike. I got a full set of 9g and 10g rollers shipped for $30. It was going to be that much for a set of dr pulley rollers with 5-10 business day shipping. First I will install my 12g dr pulley sliders to see what happens. Next, once I get the new rollers and find out what weight I'm going to need, I'll buy either dr pulley rollers or sliders.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PCX 150 Further modsq

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:The belt is the same length as the original and has softer sides where the belt tapers it seems than my Daytona belt..
The best way to check belt length is to mark Gates belt sitting inside its box thats supplied with,then insert Daytona belt in to the same box and see if it reaches the same marked line....
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

That's a good point. I just held them up, saw they were really close, and installed the gates belt to check top speed. I'll have a video posted by tonight.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

Mgalutia88 wrote:The takegawa FIcon2 is installed. The kn planning torque driver and chameleon factory contra spring bearing together raised rpms from 6800-7000rpm while in the variator. I received the yuminashi gates belt and contra spring today. Also received malossi clutch springs.

I think the SB number has to do with Yuminashi - perhaps made specially for them.
But it may be a standard belt that they just labelled specially.
Gates have a product number of the form 98081110 and a part number of the form PL20110
Are there any other numbers on the belt or packaging?
I'm currently browsing to see if gates have a belt of the right dimensions.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am sure others have brought this up already so please forgive me if I am asking what has already been discussed. If I purchased the Yuminashi variator and a reenforced belt, and those were my only changes, would the top end increase enough to make the changes worthwhile?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Mel, you will be able to reach at least 75mph.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

With gates on the powerlink belts SB stands for scooter belt.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

How long is the normal warranty on these scooters? We bought the extended warranty but I am debating whether to buy and install the Yuminashi variator and reenforced belt or consider the new Burgman 200. My wife loves her PCX, and by the way Dave, the wind deflectors I created seem to work fine. We tried them out yesterday with no problems. In any case, her only complaint has been that it can't get up to 70 - 75 mph so she can get on the freeway without being run over, since most vehicles on I575 and I400 drive well above the speed limit. Hers tops out at 67 mph while cars are driving at 70 or more and she can't merge until there is a large gap. Otherwise, the PCX 150 does everything she wants it to do, and more.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Mel look at this clip from Motor Scooter Guide in refference to the burgman 200

Opting for a 300-400cc machine is going to gain highway prowess in any circumstances included passenger carrying, but it adds to the price tag and typically loses 5-10 mpg. Most appealingly, Honda’s Forza boasts similar amenities and MSRP, but higher milage (68 mpg vs 60 mpg) and top speed (95 mph instead of 75 mph). Burgman’s are king of comfort though, so riders who spend more time on country roads will be best served by the little Burg’.

It makes 18.1 hp at 8000rpm

Personally I have spent a total of $1300 in accessories now but that includes two windshields and lowering springs, different brake pads, two variators, a fuel controller...

The following was not gps verified. I switched back to my NCY variator this week since I have a new set of rollers in the mail from webike. The yuminashi variator with the new yuminashi contra spring and the torque driver with 12g weights settled in at 6800rpm at wot from a stop. The NCY variator with the same setup and 12g weights runs 7800 rpm at wot from a stop. This being said, today I was on my way home on a 38 mile one way ride and I burried the speedometer into the 80 mph mark at 9560 rpm. That being said I had my biondi tall screen installed because of today's wind. Let me remind everyone that I have verified my speedometer with gps to be accurate at 75 mph so I give credit to this. This setup does 89 mph on the center stand. I am expecting my new weights either tomorrow or Monday. First I will test the yuminashi drive face with the NCY variator and then I will run the full yuminashi setup. I received 68 mpg yesterday running wot at 65 mph in a 15-20 mph headwind for 38 miles one way. Twice on that ride I dropped to 59 mph. But also rode 70 mph at other times.

Ask your dealer how your warranty will be affected by changing your drive belt and variator. The response SHOULD be that the parts you change will no longer be covered however the rest of your bike will still be under warranty.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I have a four year extension on my warranty for a total of five years.