PCX 150 Further mods

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PCX 150 Further mods

Post by Pcxdemon »

wingz wrote:Regarding my statement about spacers...

I have calculated that I need a 0.5mm spacer to raise my rpm to 8500.
I know there won't be drawbacks because I measured the variator before and after fitting the sliders.
Fitting the sliders moved the variator pulley half towards the outer pulley by 1mm (when in lowest geared position) and I am planning to move it halfway back to where it was originally.
Now to find/make a suitable spacer. hmmmm.
From my experience fitting a washer doesn't affect your rpm,only lowers your gearing slightly for better takeoff...only way to increase or decrease your rpm is by adjusting the weights OR changing rear torque spring.
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

Pcxdemon wrote: From my experience fitting a washer doesn't affect your rpm,only lowers your gearing slightly for better takeoff...only way to increase or decrease your rpm is by adjusting the weights OR changing rear torque spring.
Thank you. That sounds reasonable. I still need to try it to verify/disprove my theory.
But I did spot an error in my calculations.
If one fits a spacer then the weights will run more outwards for a given gearing.
This would otherwise increase the centripetal force by a proportional amount.
But RPM² (not RPM) would have to increase proportionally because the mass did not change. This is if the gearing does not change.
In order for the forces to equalise, the gearing would have to decrease (belt ride lower) and rpm would increase.
Yet again, I have confused myself enough to not complete my argument but I am going to try a 1mm spacer because that will restore my original lowest gear.
Then I can post my findings as to whether or not the rpm changed.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

sorry everyone, i haven't done any riding or work to the scoot for the last week or two. I gave myself bronchitis by riding when it was below freezing on a regular basis. I will be doing work soon. At the moment we have a large snow storm coming in and most of Kansas City is shut down at this point. I'm sure in the next day or so after I'm caught up on work I'll be out playing around in the garage. At the moment the cvt cover is off and I was getting ready to install the contra spring bearing and new torque driver. I'll let everyone know when its done and how it changed things.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Mgalutia88 wrote:sorry everyone, i haven't done any riding or work to the scoot for the last week or two. I gave myself bronchitis by riding when it was below freezing on a regular basis. I will be doing work soon. At the moment we have a large snow storm coming in and most of Kansas City is shut down at this point. I'm sure in the next day or so after I'm caught up on work I'll be out playing around in the garage. At the moment the cvt cover is off and I was getting ready to install the contra spring bearing and new torque driver. I'll let everyone know when its done and how it changed things.
How many angles are on the Yumi vario? I assume it would start of at the bottom around stock 15degrees,than taper of to 14.5? to 14 to 13.5 and final 13degree angle? Im thinking modifying my spare outer pulley at the local shop just for the fun of it. if it comes out ok ill do Takegawa vario same to match...
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I'll pull it off in the next few days and let you know. I believe it's four five.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Vlad, the Yuminashi by my count has four different usable angles on the face. Each one of these faces comes in at a shallower angle to allow the variator to close more.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Ok everyone I know it has been a few days since I have updated anything. We have a half inch of ice on the ground where I live in Missouri with nine inches of snow on top of it for the last five days. Today we are getting another one to two inches as I type this so no riding anytime soon. There is light at the end of the tunnel as we are forecast to have temps in the mid 40's F Wednesday through Saturday so we will see what happens. We have been in temps below freezing since January 3rd. In the mean time I have been recovering from a close call with pneumonia and am recovering well so by not being able to ride for the last month I am able to get a few things done.

On to the update. I installed a Chameleon Factory contra spring bearing yesterday along with a KN Planning torque driver. I could not take the scoot out BUT I did start it this morning to see what might have happened. To my delight I gained 8MPH in top speed!!! I will take a video soon and post it up but the point is that the speedometer climbed right up to 89MPH!!! Now this is on the stand. The last top speed run I did was after installing the Yuminashi variator and I hit 81MPH on the stand and 79MPH on the highway. After that I put on a K&N R1100 filter in the airbox by enlarging the airbox outlet hole with a file until a 1.5" I.D. piece of exhaust pipe fit and then ran a piece of 1.6" ID radiator hose from the outlet of the airbox to the throttle body. I have not tested top speed since however it made a major difference in being able to hold speed up hills. Up a slight grade I am able to maintain 68-70MPH. SO now since there is STILL snow around I will be installing the Takegawa FIcon2 before I ride the scoot again. I'm anxcious to see what will happen with fuel economy and cruising power around and above 70MPH.

Again I have verified my speedometer by GPS to 75MPH at this point and it is dead on. I have GPS software that logs my runs so I start it and put it in my pocket and go off for a ride and hit a certain speed for instance 75MPH and hold it for a few seconds, then I pull off of the road and check my GPS. This reduces the stress for me of looking at the gps along with the speedometer when I should be looking at the road.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

In the mean time I am ordering Malossi clutch springs for the stock clutch, a Yuminashi contra spring and a Bikers billet dipstick. That will all be installed before i start tuning my transmission weights.

My theory on the KN Planning torque driver is that the groves are longer and allow the belt to drop further down on the rear pulley and further out on the front pulley. I was simply amazed at the 10% increase in gearing that this provided... It's unreal.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Thanks for the update :)
try the Ulysse Speedometer app, it's free and has max speed.
Yeah I don't trust center stand max speed readings, last time I did one it read 4mph faster than I could do downhill :?
I can do 73(gps verified) with my big tire, so if/when I get the yuminashi variator, that should be enough speed for me 8)
Looking forward to hearing about more power mods... hint, hint :lol:
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

correction, not a Bikers dipstick but a Yuminashi Gates belt so we can figure out what belt it really is!!!
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Here is the youtube link for the video I made today of the difference the Torque Cam or Torque Driver made.
http://youtu.be/tGgOd-WV0uA
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Is it any faster on the side stand?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

If I tried to figure that out it would kill the engine so i would be coasting to check speed while leaning over. I think I'll get a GPS read with the stand up :P
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Started the install and routing of the wiring harness for the FIcon2 this evening. We are forecast to have 40's-50's for highs this Thursday through next Tuesday so we should have all our snow melted by that time or at least a good swamp? I think it's really not that bad to install. I have to splice two wires which I already decided what location to splice in. One on the crank sensor and one on the throttle position sensor. I'm anxious to see how it runs with the fuel controller. Mainly I'm looking for midrange power at this point for cruising and hills. Only time will tell I'm afraid. Also today my shipment from PCX Racing shipped (thanks Eric). Eric was responding to emails at 3:40am Monday morning his time before he went to sleep. He is an awesome guy to deal with and very prompt to respond to you. I have a feelin I'll be posting up another video before next week with a new Yuminashi Gates drive belt and yuminashi contra spring. I also jumped for the Malossi clutch springs PCXDemon kept racing about. I'm an cilia to see how these improve launches (thanks Vlad).
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

Mgalutia88 wrote: We are forecast to have 40's-50's for highs this Thursday through next Tuesday so we should have all our snow melted by that time or at least a good swamp? .

Thanx for all the research you have been doing. I live up in the arctic wasteland of Wisconsin so I definitely wont be testing any mods for a few months. :x
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Well thank you. I'll take that credit ;) I just hope that others feel comfortable in asking questions so that they can follow with mods that they want to do themselves. I'm always happy to make a video or give direction, especially with helping others to make their scooters FASTER! I'm sorry I don't actually have a budget just for testing a variety of parts for the best low budget combinations.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Got the harness spliced in last night, however, went to use my butane mini torch for the heat shrink I was using and the damn thing wouldn't work right (I blame it on it being 5* as I'd just filled it.) In other changes I filed the bolt holes for the seat latch and removed about 3/32" of material to allow the latch to be moved up and my seat to be closed easier. Also I had purchased a cheap Godspeed oil catch can on Amazon for $25 and I got that installed. Now I just hope that I get lucky and my PCX racing order comes this week instead of next ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Use a match for the shrinkytube?
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

I could use a match or a lighter ,however, I have a heat gun tip for my mini torch. That tip takes forever to shrink things but at least I don't risk burning the other wires. I would usually just use a lighter but first i have to find one and second I'm a little timid about making sure this is done nice and cleanly.
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

wingz wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote: From my experience fitting a washer doesn't affect your rpm,only lowers your gearing slightly for better takeoff...only way to increase or decrease your rpm is by adjusting the weights OR changing rear torque spring.
Thank you. That sounds reasonable. I still need to try it to verify/disprove my theory.
But I did spot an error in my calculations.
If one fits a spacer then the weights will run more outwards for a given gearing.
This would otherwise increase the centripetal force by a proportional amount.
But RPM² (not RPM) would have to increase proportionally because the mass did not change. This is if the gearing does not change.
In order for the forces to equalise, the gearing would have to decrease (belt ride lower) and rpm would increase.
Yet again, I have confused myself enough to not complete my argument but I am going to try a 1mm spacer because that will restore my original lowest gear.
Then I can post my findings as to whether or not the rpm changed.
My theory proved correct.

I eventually fitted my spacer today and checked rpm before and after. The variators operating rpm went up by about 6.5%.
11.5g sliders only..................... 7500-7700 rpm
11.5g sliders + 1mm spacer............... 8000-8200 rpm

Everything else is stock standard PCX150.

Top speed remains the same. I expected this because the two pulley halves moved about 1mm closer together when I replaced the stock rollers with the sliders.
Today I simply restored the spacing back to how it was before.
Also worth noting is that the two pulley halves touch before the variator maxes out.

Because the spacer is all I changed today, I was able to notice its effect.
Others probably wouldn't have noticed because they would have done more effective mods while fitting spacers.