Performance Exhaust

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Blubayou
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX125
Color: White

Performance Exhaust

Post by Blubayou »

Hi all,

I've have fitted a very nice exhaust to my PCX 125 esp for thelast 500 miles / month or so.

It's a Tecnigas 4 Scoot, does the business and is only £168 delivered here in the UK from Pedparts.

I have had this same exhaust fitted to my SYM Jet for the last couple of years (which my Son still has as his daily ride) so can vouch for it's longevity.

It comes in a full kit as shown below with a nice stainless primary pipe & aluminium clad silencer.

I wasn't at all happy with the fit onto the large black steel bracket which seemed to put a lot of strain at the join between primary pipe & silencer.

I got around this by knocking up another bracket at work on nights, but worth bearing in mind if you buy one, it may just be my bike / kit.
Attachments
PCXex01.jpg
PCXex01.jpg (465.04 KiB) Viewed 3139 times
Blubayou
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Performance Exhaust

Post by Blubayou »

The pipe looks good, I consider it good value for money, sounds good but not too loud & does boost performance.

I suspect it raises the power output slightly (no cat), but probably raises the power torque curve too, so loosing some bottom end.

Although acceleration times are the same as before on paper, acceleration at 50mph plus is markedly better, & most of all average top speed (GPS) is up from 57mph to 60mph.

To bear this out I tripped up the A5. At my usual black spot I was down to 50mph minimum on the worst hill with trucks bearing down on me.

1 hour later, same road, same conditions, new exhaust fitted 55mph minimum......nuff said :D
Attachments
PCXex02.jpg
PCXex02.jpg (361.52 KiB) Viewed 3136 times
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Very nice, i mounted a malossi, very happy, high quality, great sound and perfect install specs:
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I have looked into getting one of those given the price point, just to clarify your is a 2013 model that you have fitted this too?
aka DrewJW
Blubayou
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Blubayou »

Hi Drew,

yes 2013 125 esp.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Thanks for head-up. Looks interesting.
However the bracket story is really worrying:
"I got around this by knocking up another bracket at work on nights" could you post more details on what you have done? Buying an exhaust and having to build a bracket from scratch is not a good sign i would say...
Blubayou
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Blubayou »

Yeah Tomtom,

I agree, the exhaust is great but the bracket simply didn't fit.... or rather the bracket fits perfectly and is very well finished. I would suggest the header pipe angle is too shallow where it comes up to meet the silencer.Bear in mind this is stainless so you ain't gonna bend it without heat.

I could & maybe should have just returned it for replacement but guessed that the pipe is probably bent on a jig & so all of that batch at least would be the same.

Anyway, for me I had scrap steel available and a whole night to spend on it so it was a good way out.

Then again, maybe something is out of alignment on my bike???

Either way it's performing great. :D
Blubayou
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Blubayou »

Just a quick photo I took at the time of fitting.

It shows where the exhaust sat without strain at the joint. It could have been forced into line but the bottom mount was then way off too. Also if I had redrilled the two top mounts in the position shown, the bottom mount was below the mounting plate.
Attachments
ExOut.jpg
ExOut.jpg (366.21 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
Blubayou
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Blubayou »

I made this mount up out of a piece of scrap then drilled the silencer holes in situ.

Not that pretty but effective.

I may knock something nicer up when a piece of ally plate comes my way.
Attachments
mount.jpg
mount.jpg (476.39 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Just a thought. Blubayuo do you still have the box? What part number did you receive?

Could it be that in error you were given one for the old 125.
Blubayou
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Blubayou »

Hi Waspmike,

Yeah just checked the box & Pedparts site, it is indeed the correct exhaust for the esp 125, in fact this is the only model covered according to the Tecnigas site.
Attachments
tecnigas.jpg
tecnigas.jpg (294.6 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Blubayou
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Blubayou »

Incidentally Pedparts price is very keen compared to the rest of the interweb!

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/2809/ ... -pcx-125cc

Is that because they don't quite fit???
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Blubayou wrote:Hi Waspmike,

Yeah just checked the box & Pedparts site, it is indeed the correct exhaust for the esp 125, in fact this is the only model covered according to the Tecnigas site.
It was just a thought ;) May still have been mislabeled or something. I mean once the jig is made they should all be the same and fit!
Blubayou wrote:Incidentally Pedparts price is very keen compared to the rest of the interweb!

http://www.pedparts.co.uk/product/2809/ ... -pcx-125cc

Is that because they don't quite fit???
Given that you have the skill to make a new bracket I assume you loose fit the whole system before tightening everything. But looking at the way the silencer connects to the down-pipe there doesn't look like much wiggle room. Again why I initially suspected the wrong model.
Blubayou
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Blubayou »

Ha ha, wiggle room! Spot on description! :lol:

It's exactly that, there isn't a lot so it will fit on the original bracket but boy is it under a lot of strain.

Anyway, it's on with a home made bracket, working a treat, looking & sounding good if anyone else fancies one.

Oh yeah, it's 'E' marked too.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Well its just that your trials and tribulations may put others of the pipe. Maybe a quick word to Pedparts just so they realize they may lose a customer or two.

Or not!
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Of course it will put people off- all those who don't have access to a worshop and willing to spend hours fixing what should really be a plug and play solution to start with. Take the labor hours into account and suddely the price is not so attractive anymore.

A last thing, would fitting the pipe and then torching the pipe carefully ease the strain without having to build a bracket from scratch? Just a tought - That i would'nt be very confortable doing to avoid a) Desoldering one of the joints on the exhaust itself and b) putting too much heat on the cylinder head.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

waspmike wrote:Well its just that your trials and tribulations may put others of the pipe. Maybe a quick word to Pedparts just so they realize they may lose a customer or two.

Or not!
I would have to agree....I don't mind taking a Dremel to a part to clean up some production metal flash, or whatever, but major mods to a brand new part seems like I'm doing part of their job for them. It would be immediately going back if this was mine. There are many that fit no problem and just my opin, look better.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI