Bump in the night

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Bump in the night

Post by sendler2112 »

I hit a dog on my PCX scooter
It only has a top speed of 67 mph so I can't take the highway. Country roads are much more dangerous. It was after dark and very foggy on a Friday night. A warmish night for this time of year and very pleasant. My mood was high. I was wondering how many other riders were out enjoying it and how many took the car because they don't have the right equipment to feel comfortable in fog. Cruising at 50 mph on a state two lane in farm country and very alert. The dark and fog makes you focus your attention between the lines as there is not much information in the hazy glare to the sides of the road. Out of the black and fog steps a big black dog. Grey muzzled with a labored gate. Probably deaf now. 27 inches high and heavy at 100 pounds? A once noble beast and no doubt a trusted friend. Three steps in and wham. I barely had time to cover the brakes. Let alone even begin to apply them. I hit him toward the front and didn't run over him. By the time I stopped the bike, collected myself, and rode back, he was nowhere to be found. Vanished again into the fog. If only his master had fitted him with a reflective collar. It was too late to start riding up and down, banging on doors so I stopped and called the cops. He said he would use his spot light to search for him and that I should head home. Very sad. I love dogs. My first job away from home was as a professional dog trainer.
My bike is crunched but I am fine. Crouching to let the top of my tall windscreen blow the water drops from my face shield, my braced position was strong enough to bend the left handle bar as the bike smashed back eight inches allowing the key to make contact with my right knee. Honda should know better. It could have been worse as I never wobbled or wavered.
I think I have made two payments on it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Bump in the night

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:I hit a dog on my PCX scooter
It only has a top speed of 67 mph so I can't take the highway. Country roads are much more dangerous. It was after dark and very foggy on a Friday night. A warmish night for this time of year and very pleasant. My mood was high. I was wondering how many other riders were out enjoying it and how many took the car because they don't have the right equipment to feel comfortable in fog. Cruising at 50 mph on a state two lane in farm country and very alert. The dark and fog makes you focus your attention between the lines as there is not much information in the hazy glare to the sides of the road. Out of the black and fog steps a big black dog. Grey muzzled with a labored gate. Probably deaf now. 27 inches high and heavy at 100 pounds? A once noble beast and no doubt a trusted friend. Three steps in and wham. I barely had time to cover the brakes. Let alone even begin to apply them. I hit him toward the front and didn't run over him. By the time I stopped the bike, collected myself, and rode back, he was nowhere to be found. Vanished again into the fog. If only his master had fitted him with a reflective collar. It was too late to start riding up and down, banging on doors so I stopped and called the cops. He said he would use his spot light to search for him and that I should head home. Very sad. I love dogs. My first job away from home was as a professional dog trainer.
My bike is crunched but I am fine. Crouching to let the top of my tall windscreen blow the water drops from my face shield, my braced position was strong enough to bend the left handle bar as the bike smashed back eight inches allowing the key to make contact with my right knee. Honda should know better. It could have been worse as I never wobbled or wavered.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Bump in the night

Post by Alibally »

sendler2112 wrote:I hit a dog on my PCX scooter
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Sorry to hear that and good to hear you are ok. Hope you have insurance...
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Pcxdemon wrote:Hope you have insurance...
$500 deductible and vehicles are never the same after they have been "fixed". If I can go back out there today and find the owner, I might be able to get their home owners insurance to pay.
mad trapper
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mad trapper »

Another reason not to ride on a dark and very foggy night. Good thing it wasnt a deer.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Glad to hear you were okay. I haven't hit anything larger than ~20lbs, I can't imagine how difficult it was for you to keep the bike up.

How's your knee?

Are the front forks shot, or the front steering stem bearings damaged? Often, even a minor front-end impact will total a bike in the US.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The bike never even wavered. I'm not sure if the handle bars are crooked or not. The service tech is going to measure it up to see. The dog was so tall that there was very little impact to the wheel or forks. The headlight is very strong! My knee is fine but I can feel where the key tried to get me. Car makers have known the key's potential to injure in a crash for decades. Any faster or more solid a hit and I would have a serious problem.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I think the key is in a stupid place too
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

It is a metal chisel aimed at your knee cap.
Cooley_PCX_Rider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cooley_PCX_Rider »

Technically the dog owner should be responsible.
Fact is you must travel at times when you must.
Glad you are OK and the bike can be fixed.
Don't ride at night if you can avoid it and never in the fog.
Stay safe!
PCX 150 Rider from East Central Illinois in the middle of the United States of America

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

o_O Horrible surprise! You handled the situation so well. I would have crapped in my pants just at the sight of something moving....in the dark....in the fog. It was a dog, very sad indeed. Hope all gets squared away with someone's insurance and that a New (not fixed) bike comes your way soon. I wonder how the dog is doing now :roll: Feel better sendler, so sorry this happened, but glad to read you're ok
Oh the keyhole :x why oh why is it there? I have to wonder where else would you guys suggest it be?
You know...awhile back on the (cough) "other" forum I started a thread called Dear Honda. I did that hoping they would read "our" suggestions, complaints, mods, comments etc. The keyhole is a new addition that should be added to that list. What'cha think sendler?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Most bikes have the key higher up by the handle bars. The PCX has the neat, dual acting seat/ tank release switch so it went to the side for the cables. In this case, the key needs to have a rubber handle instead of the hard plastic.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Many scooters have the key where the PCXs is, its convenient for incorporating the releases, but it should definitely be placed more centrally like the one on the new Sym Joymax.

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong