About to buy my first PCX. Any advice?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Post by Greenmeenie »

I take my MSF course here in NYC in May and plan to buy a new white 2017/2018 PCX in June. I've never bought a scooter before, so don't know what to expect as far as extra "fees" go. I contacted several dealerships via email. Told them I was shopping around. Looking for the best OTD price. I'm willing to pay cash if that'll get me a better deal. Any advice of what to expect from the seasoned PCX riders here? Thanks!
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

I take my MSF course here in NYC in May and plan to buy a new white 2017/2018 PCX in June. I've never bought a scooter before, so don't know what to expect as far as extra "fees" go. I contacted several dealerships via email. Told them I was shopping around. Looking for the best OTD price. I'm willing to pay cash if that'll get me a better deal. Any advice of what to expect from the seasoned PCX riders here? Thanks!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: About to buy my first PCX. Any advice?

Post by gn2 »

Only advice would be to seek out a leftover one at a reduced price.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

gn2 wrote:Only advice would be to seek out a leftover one at a reduced price.
True. I will definitely go for a 2017 White PCX if I can get a better deal on it then the 2018 White PCX. I know there is gonna be tax, and the destination fee is usually $320 from what I've read. But I was wondering what other kind of fees do the dealers usually try to hit you with? And what ones are negotiable. Figured I'd ask here since y'all have bought a PCX before. Thanks.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

You can save better than half the cost of a new one if you're willing to travel a few miles. For example here's one with 5-600 dollars worth of accessories that you will end up buying anyway :D

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/6101231607.html

Honda PCX 125 - $1995 (Greensburg)
Attachments
00C0C_lPRDWfSdukm_600x450.jpg
00C0C_lPRDWfSdukm_600x450.jpg (29.88 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

"Looking for the best OTD price"

-Good way to do it. Some dealers will still try to low-ball you and add more fees when you arrive at the showroom. I don't have patience for that trick.

To get the best price the dealer has to think you'll just walk away if you don't get the deal you want. However, if you've shopped around and negotiated, don't let a couple hundred bucks off your price deter you from getting on the road. Sometimes you can't negotiate price but can negotiate, say, a free first service or accessories.

"I'm willing to pay cash if that'll get me a better deal."

-It likely won't because the dealer gets a rebate on doing financing but not for a cash deal. Consider getting financing and paying off right away.

"But I was wondering what other kind of fees do the dealers usually try to hit you with?"

-Anything they can get away with. Their creativity never ceases to amaze and amuse. Documentation fees and licensing fees are common. Some try to charge for services already covered by the manufacturer delivery fee. Some add dealer-installed options and protection packages. Expect a hard sell on an extended warranty. They might also hit you up for a maintenance plan.

"And what ones are negotiable."

-In theory, they all are. In reality, depends on how motivated the dealer is to move that particular scooter.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

A scooter with some miles on it is just as good as a new one, except the cost is probably half the cost of a new one. I know that some people only go for the new one because of the financing, but in some cases you can go to a bank or credit union and get a personal loan for the used one and pay far less than getting a new one. Consider all sides when getting a bike. Used ones can be found on Craigslist, Cycle Trader, and even on websites like this one.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:A scooter with some miles on it is just as good as a new one, except the cost is probably half the cost of a new one. I know that some people only go for the new one because of the financing, but in some cases you can go to a bank or credit union and get a personal loan for the used one and pay far less than getting a new one. Consider all sides when getting a bike. Used ones can be found on Craigslist, Cycle Trader, and even on websites like this one.
It's true Mel, after posting all these pre-owned PCX's ... tempting. Financing 4200.00 on a new scooter is about 100 bucks a month so that's easy pay as well. I guess it boils down to accessories. You people want tall screens and upgrade seats with those giant top boxes, That stuff is full price as there is little second hand available. If I wanted a scoot for the wife and she wanted all that dribble then I would road trip for one of these 2015/16/17 PCX's with less than 2k and save a bundle :D
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Speaking of used PCX150s, I may be selling my 2013 in Dallas. Daughter was going to ride it but got a car license before her motorcycle license and just wants to drive the car now. Only about 1200 miles. Perfect shape except hard-to-see surface scratches where my daughter dropped it (at stop) during the MSF course. I dunno--$1500 fair?

P.S. Probably a good thing she's in a cage. She had an accident 10 days after getting her license where she would have been seriously hurt if on the scooter instead of driving the car!
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

Just got a quote on a new 2017 PCX from one dealer. $3,480 with no dealer fees like freight, prep, delivery or setup. So the OTD total with tax would be $3,995. He said there are currently no rebates on these 2017 models, but that by June when I plan to buy, there might be.
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

Sounds about right, when I wanted to upgrade to a new PCX150 there were never any screaming deals. Best offer I ever got was 250-300 off sticker plus fees.
:geek:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Greenmeenie, don't buy extended warranty if you are any kind of decent with common tools. The Honda one year warranty is good for one riding season (7 months around here). By then anything catastrophic will present itself as this Honda is easily tooled if you find something you need to replace after warranty expires. Forza... not so much, buy as many warranties as Honda offers and then pray every day it's not one of the POS's that roll off assembly :lol: I swear there are two divisions at Honda assembly, PCX (first rate) and 4Z (incompetent).
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

Thanks! Yeah, didn't plan on doing the extended warranty. I totally agree with you. I'm fairly mechanical, and I've read about the PCX reliability too. I definitely wanna buy new tho. This will be my first scoot. In the states anyway. I rode a lot when I lived in Taiwan for a few years. Everyone rides scooters there, and traffic is beyond NUTS. I truly think living in Taiwan should qualify as an MSF course and give you an automatic test waiver!

I am taking the MSF course here in NY in May, and will buy the PCX in June. That's when the 2018 models should be available, and the rebate for the 2017 models should kick in then too. Definitely want it in pearl white, so I just have to decide which year to go with.

From what I've read so far, there is absolutely nothing different about the new 2018 PCX.

I'll buy a top case later. It's pretty easy to install now that you don't have to drill holes in the chassis.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

extended warranty? did you get one when you were born? if not tell the salesperson no thank you.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

homie wrote:I swear there are two divisions at Honda assembly, PCX (first rate) and 4Z (incompetent).
Over its lifetime the PCX hasn't been exactly fault free either, holed crankcases from lost stand mounting lugs, the continuing clutch bearings issue...?

The Forza300 hasn't had anything near as catastrophic as the crankcase holing issue on the original PCX.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

relic wrote:extended warranty? did you get one when you were born? if not tell the salesperson no thank you.
Most of us have an extended warranty--it's called health insurance! And if that doesn't work, there's always life insurance. :lol:
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Duke82
Year: 2016
Color: black

Post by Duke82 »

buy something else with better suspension is my best advice. otherwise a superb machine
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

Yeah, I've heard about the suspension, but I'm sold on the PCX. I ridden a lot of scoots in Taiwan, and the PCX fits me the best, and has the best bang for the buck of any scooter I know. I did like the Vespa GTS, but at twice the price of the PCX, I couldn't justify it for my first scoot in the states. Perhaps down the road.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

It's pretty ridiculous to say you shouldn't buy a PCX due to bad suspension. The rear suspension is the majority of the problem, and You can change out the suspension in an 2 hour and 150 bucks. No big deal.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Greenmeenie
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Greenmeenie »

Jge64 wrote:It's pretty ridiculous to say you shouldn't buy a PCX due to bad suspension. The rear suspension is the majority of the problem, and You can change out the suspension in an 2 hour and 150 bucks. No big deal.
Yeah, I'm not worried about the back shocks at all. Super stoked to take my MSF course next month and buy my PCX in a June. Can't wait to ride this summer!