PCX Valve Adjustment

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

proxes27

PCX Valve Adjustment

Post by proxes27 »

When has everyone been getting their valves adjusted?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: PCX Valve Adjustment

Post by gn2 »

From new till 10,000 miles mine was dealer serviced.
No idea whether the dealer actually did adjust them.
The scooter now has 12,500 miles on and I may take a look at the valve clearances at 15,000 miles when its due for a new drive belt and oil change.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

I checked mine at 5000 miles. Had it dealer serviced at 600 and 2500 miles.
I don't think I will check them now until 15000 miles as they were on the tighter side of the tolerances when I checked.
Spleege

Post by Spleege »

I have 1200 miles on my PcX 150 and have not yet brought it in for first service. I dont hear any valve noise and have not had any performance issues. should i wait longer maybe to 1500 or 2000 miles? what is your guys opinions?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Spleege wrote:I have 1200 miles on my PcX 150 and have not yet brought it in for first service. I dont hear any valve noise and have not had any performance issues. should i wait longer maybe to 1500 or 2000 miles? what is your guys opinions?

Have you changed the oil in it
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

PCX Valve Adjustment

Post by Alibally »

qed wrote:
Spleege wrote:I have 1200 miles on my PcX 150 and have not yet brought it in for first service. I dont hear any valve noise and have not had any performance issues. should i wait longer maybe to 1500 or 2000 miles? what is your guys opinions?

Have you changed the oil in it
Ditto. It's important to change the oil and clean out the screen filter way before 1200 miles. Should be done at half that.
Spleege

Post by Spleege »

considering this is a liquid cooled motor with a rev limiter I just wasn't worried. I didn't waste the money bringing it to a dealer to have a service done, have them break all the plastic tabs and not tell me. I bought the service manual. After about 2 hours of removing plastic i finally got to the head, popped it off and as i suspected the valves were exactly at factory settings. .004 intake and .009 at exhaust. additionally the oil was pristine and a light brown. anyone getting paranoid about late services, forget about it. this motor is rock solid. I'm 230, 6'3" and this thing cooks along on flat ground at the rev limit of about 65. great bike. I could not believe all the evap lines and smog crap on this bike. well i do live in california, unfortunately.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Spleege wrote:considering this is a liquid cooled motor with a rev limiter I just wasn't worried. I didn't waste the money bringing it to a dealer to have a service done, have them break all the plastic tabs and not tell me. I bought the service manual. After about 2 hours of removing plastic i finally got to the head, popped it off and as i suspected the valves were exactly at factory settings. .004 intake and .009 at exhaust. additionally the oil was pristine and a light brown. anyone getting paranoid about late services, forget about it. this motor is rock solid. I'm 230, 6'3" and this thing cooks along on flat ground at the rev limit of about 65. great bike. I could not believe all the evap lines and smog crap on this bike. well i do live in california, unfortunately.
I saw and rode a Pcx 125 last night that had done 28000km and no valve adjustments in the last 24000km,oil servicing every 5000km. It ran and felt like brand new still...
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

We are just putting our PCX back together after doing our first valve check at about 1200+ miles. It was out of spec on the intake at .006 and the exhaust was good at .009 so we only had to tighten the intake. I'm glad that we finally checked as I wouldn't want to be running it much out of spec, but I suspect that the schedule listed in the manual has an abundance of caution and I'm comfortable stretching the guidelines some.

Many thanks to Eddie for the tutorial and advice. We have the service manual, but it was nice to have a second resource to double check a few times.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

You're very welcome! Glad it has been a good tool for people to use.
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

I agree
Spleege wrote:considering this is a liquid cooled motor with a rev limiter I just wasn't worried. I didn't waste the money bringing it to a dealer to have a service done, have them break all the plastic tabs and not tell me. I bought the service manual. After about 2 hours of removing plastic i finally got to the head, popped it off and as i suspected the valves were exactly at factory settings. .004 intake and .009 at exhaust. additionally the oil was pristine and a light brown. anyone getting paranoid about late services, forget about it. this motor is rock solid. I'm 230, 6'3" and this thing cooks along on flat ground at the rev limit of about 65. great bike. I could not believe all the evap lines and smog crap on this bike. well i do live in california, unfortunately.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

7250 miles, and my third valve check. They are exactly where I placed them at my second valve check at 3500 miles. Both valves were tight on the 600 and 3500 mile check. Now they haven't moved in 4000 miles.

My next vavle check will be 15000 miles, when I replace the belt.

Question for everyone. Does the PCX valves tend to get tight, or open the gap as the valves wear and fall out of spec.?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

There's no good answer... Most people say valves get tighter as they wear, I've experienced the opposite. YMMV.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WI_Hedgehog