My PCX150-White/Red

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: My PCX150-White/Red

Post by you you »

HawaiiJ wrote:Cascanciu,

I started my project following Maddiedog's detailed how-to guide and decided mid-way to not mount the connector in the dash. In hind-sight I realized I only needed to remove the seat, gas lid, battery cover & the moulding where mounted the socket. There's a small hole near the bottom of the battery to snake the wires through, really simple and easy process to snake the wires. The wires were connected directly to the battery and I have done a couple of multi-day rides and had the bike sit idle for 2 weeks with no problems with battery drain. The wire harness has a waterproof fuse built in and I was able to bundle all the excess cables either in the battery box or under the panel where the socket is mounted.

Another reason for not mounting in the dash box was my rather large hands, they weren't working well under the dash.

I need to mount a charging point for the winter and I think I'll use the same place
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You may not need to, mine has been through two winters and has sat in sub zero temperatures for weeks at a time without being charged and always fires up no problem.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:You may not need to, mine has been through two winters and has sat in sub zero temperatures for weeks at a time without being charged and always fires up no problem.

I know but it makes me feel better. A touch of the "carry on screaming" plugging the bikes in every few weeks
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: My PCX150-White/Red - A Few More Changes

Post by HawaiiJ »

A few more changes have been made, here are the latest updates and comments about each.

YSS Shocks - I decided to change the stock shocks out for a set of the YSS Shocks because I kept bottoming out of a couple of large speed bumps in our housing development and got concerned about the long term damage it could cause. Also, on trips when loaded with the GIVI topbox and other gear the stock shocks were doing overtime. The model I used had the (XXL) rating which is better suited for normal sized individuals like myself. I'm pleased with the results, no problems with the speed bumps and I'm slowly adjusting the settings to get a little less stiffness. Cost was 3900 THB plus 150 THB to install at the local Honda dealer, this converts to about $130 USD.

GIVI Windscreen - I think this is one of the best improvements I have made so far. Being taller (6'4"+) than most riders the addition of this screen provided me a bit of an aerodynamic improvement. I still get the wind in my face and have helmet noise like everyone but I had all that before as well. The PCX seems to get going quicker that it did with the stock screen. Cost was 3300 THB plus 300 THB for shipping, this converts to about $120 USD.

Exhaust - Here in Thailand just about anything can be made or crafted if you find the right place. I had been looking at all the cycle shops and they all had the same models on display and there were slight differences in the design, outlet shape, direction, finish and mounting system. The basic models were going for about $ 200-300 USD. I found a local shop who does fabrication work and we struck a deal, a custom stainless exhaust for 3500 THB or about $116 USD. So I now have a new exhaust on the PCX. It is shiny, has a nice sound and yes if can be loud at times. Does it help with the performance, not sure but I did run the bike up to 110 (based on the Speedo) with more left. I'm thinking the GIVI windscreen probably provided more improvement than the new exhaust. I kinda feel I will swap back to the factory exhaust at some point, I'm sure the rumble will get louder with time and it will get on my nerves.

Here's the latest pictures.
Attachments
IMG_1964.jpg
IMG_1964.jpg (87.06 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
IMG_1967.jpg
IMG_1967.jpg (86.91 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
IMG_1963.jpg
IMG_1963.jpg (92.25 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
IMG_1965.jpg
IMG_1965.jpg (109.59 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
IMG_1961.jpg
IMG_1961.jpg (107.25 KiB) Viewed 2427 times
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Gorgeous. I love it with the new windshield, that's a fine-looking scooter.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:Gorgeous. I love it with the new windshield, that's a fine-looking scooter.

Top marks for avoiding 'Awesome"
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Heyheyhey "Awesome" is my go-to word when something's... Excellent. I almost said awesome again.

Damn it, do I overuse awesome that much? Bleh.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
ehdlhou

Post by ehdlhou »

very nice HawaiiJ...
what's the next plan.
thanks for sharing.
ehdlhou

Re: My PCX150-White/Red - A Few More Changes

Post by ehdlhou »

HawaiiJ wrote:A few more changes have been made, here are the latest updates and comments about each.

YSS Shocks - I decided to change the stock shocks out for a set of the YSS Shocks because I kept bottoming out of a couple of large speed bumps in our housing development and got concerned about the long term damage it could cause. Also, on trips when loaded with the GIVI topbox and other gear the stock shocks were doing overtime. The model I used had the (XXL) rating which is better suited for normal sized individuals like myself. I'm pleased with the results, no problems with the speed bumps and I'm slowly adjusting the settings to get a little less stiffness. Cost was 3900 THB plus 150 THB to install at the local Honda dealer, this converts to about $130 USD.

GIVI Windscreen - I think this is one of the best improvements I have made so far. Being taller (6'4"+) than most riders the addition of this screen provided me a bit of an aerodynamic improvement. I still get the wind in my face and have helmet noise like everyone but I had all that before as well. The PCX seems to get going quicker that it did with the stock screen. Cost was 3300 THB plus 300 THB for shipping, this converts to about $120 USD.

Exhaust - Here in Thailand just about anything can be made or crafted if you find the right place. I had been looking at all the cycle shops and they all had the same models on display and there were slight differences in the design, outlet shape, direction, finish and mounting system. The basic models were going for about $ 200-300 USD. I found a local shop who does fabrication work and we struck a deal, a custom stainless exhaust for 3500 THB or about $116 USD. So I now have a new exhaust on the PCX. It is shiny, has a nice sound and yes if can be loud at times. Does it help with the performance, not sure but I did run the bike up to 110 (based on the Speedo) with more left. I'm thinking the GIVI windscreen probably provided more improvement than the new exhaust. I kinda feel I will swap back to the factory exhaust at some point, I'm sure the rumble will get louder with time and it will get on my nerves.

Here's the latest pictures.
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

ehdihou,

The next plan is minimal. Another seat modification, I want to cut the plastic hump seat mounts out of the underside of the seat and re-pad the seat a bit to see if this will make a difference on short rides. I have gone to an AirHawk air cushion for the longer multi-day rides and would not consider making a multi-day ride without the AirHawk. It makes a huge difference in comfort.

After this mod, I think I'm just about done. There's little information on variator options at this point and JCosta had not produced an option for the variator for the PCX 150.

I have thought about the Daytona spring upgrade for the front shocks but have not seen anyone comment on the impact (good or bad) on this option.

Overall, I'm about at the end of the road on changes. I have made the changes to make it work for me and make my PCX a little different than the others on the road. You have to consider there are literately thousands of PCXs here in Thailand. Almost every red-light I see another PCX. I want to be different but don;t want to go crazy. I don't care to go the "Chrome" option on every piece on the bike. I tried to get the original exhaust exhaust powder coated (flat black) but the local vendor said it was not possible. He suggested ceramic coating as an option but I have not found a source for this here in Chiang Mai. I'm thinking I would go back to the original exhaust at some point due to the increased Db coming from the copy exhaust I'm using. Sooner or later the local cops will start to give me a problem or I will encounter a problems on a trip at a checkpoint. There are many checkpoints here in Thailand, either border patrol or regular police looking for a quick kickback. Usually the kickback is less that 6 USD. Note: to date 18 months in Thailand I have only paid one bribe due to my boss (wife) not having her seat belt on, this cost 200 THB or about 6 USD. The on the spot payment is easier than going to the court and paying the regular way. I'm grateful of the system here, unless you run over someone, money works in most matters.
ehdlhou

Post by ehdlhou »

HawaiiJ wrote:ehdihou,

The next plan is minimal. Another seat modification, I want to cut the plastic hump seat mounts out of the underside of the seat and re-pad the seat a bit to see if this will make a difference on short rides. I have gone to an AirHawk air cushion for the longer multi-day rides and would not consider making a multi-day ride without the AirHawk. It makes a huge difference in comfort.

After this mod, I think I'm just about done. There's little information on variator options at this point and JCosta had not produced an option for the variator for the PCX 150.

I have thought about the Daytona spring upgrade for the front shocks but have not seen anyone comment on the impact (good or bad) on this option.

Overall, I'm about at the end of the road on changes. I have made the changes to make it work for me and make my PCX a little different than the others on the road. You have to consider there are literately thousands of PCXs here in Thailand. Almost every red-light I see another PCX. I want to be different but don;t want to go crazy. I don't care to go the "Chrome" option on every piece on the bike. I tried to get the original exhaust exhaust powder coated (flat black) but the local vendor said it was not possible. He suggested ceramic coating as an option but I have not found a source for this here in Chiang Mai. I'm thinking I would go back to the original exhaust at some point due to the increased Db coming from the copy exhaust I'm using. Sooner or later the local cops will start to give me a problem or I will encounter a problems on a trip at a checkpoint. There are many checkpoints here in Thailand, either border patrol or regular police looking for a quick kickback. Usually the kickback is less that 6 USD. Note: to date 18 months in Thailand I have only paid one bribe due to my boss (wife) not having her seat belt on, this cost 200 THB or about 6 USD. The on the spot payment is easier than going to the court and paying the regular way. I'm grateful of the system here, unless you run over someone, money works in most matters.

Hawaiij,
you've done really great job.
Five Star.
can't wait to see your final works. thanks mate.
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

Just a couple of updates. I'm nearing 12,000 km on my PCX and I have noticed a couple of performance/maintenance issues as time goes on. Just wanted to check and see if anyone has noticed the same or had similar problems.

1. I had a noise coming from the rear end of the bike. Most noticeable when rolling the bike around the garage or parking area. It sounded like a grinding noise of some sort. I took it by my Honda dealer for a test drive and they determined the bearings at the rear wheel needed to replaced. The 2 bearings on the right rear were replaced and this resolved the grinding sound I had been hearing. This was not covered under warranty and the total cost for replacement was 487.00 Thai Baht and a couple of hours for the repair. The 2 bearing replaced were numbers 16 & 17 in the parts breakout below. Not sure why the bearings failed so soon but my driving style is mostly dry normal conditions and I have only ridden in rain a few times (no rivers crossed or off-roading) and all maintenance was done as suggested by Honda. Maybe the problem was a result of having the aftermarket tires and wheels installed and the tech who installed this got something not just right?

Luckily the cost and fix was reasonable.

2. Under steady acceleration from 0-80kph, I have a noticeable change in acceleration rate when I hit 65 and then it picks up back at 75 like normal. The engine is not missing or starved for fuel. It feels like the drive belt, variator pulley or weights in the drive system are beginning to wear and producing this symptom. Like I mentioned, it only happens between 65-75 kph and is only a small decrease or sluggish drop is acceleration.

Has anyone experienced anything like this? Did you replace the anything or make any adjustments to fix this issue?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 11.57.29 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-01-27 at 11.57.29 AM.jpg (35.01 KiB) Viewed 2243 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'd replace the belt and clean the pulley surfaces as a precaution and before doing anything else
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Aftermarket wheels would be why the repair wasn't covered by the warranty.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

GN2, this is Thailand. The dealer sold and installed the aftermarket wheels and tires and the change is sort of like swapping the tires and wheels on an auto that's within warranty-not a big deal. One has to remember Honda dealers here are not out to gouge you at every opportunity they can, hence the cost for the repair. Less than $17 USD parts and labor, I would hate to venture what this could have cost in your next of the woods. After all, routine oil change/service charges here cost $10 USD or less.

By the way, most factory Honda dealers here will sell and support just about any aftermarket part within reason.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

HawaiiJ wrote:I would hate to venture what this could have cost in your next of the woods.
Very unlikely to happen here, aftermarket wheels for a PCX are not sold here.
Have you even read your warranty?
HawaiiJ
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by HawaiiJ »

Like I said before "This is Thailand", unless you have ever been here or lived here and understand that comment I would think your opinion on how things work here. It is a different world to say the least.

Do you have any worthwhile suggestions or comments either of my questions? If not, please don't comment at all. I really get tire of your off target banter at times and would rather not see any of it in my topic.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Seems to me that your scooter is running just fine.
My suggestion would be to leave it as standard as possible, refit the original wheels and tyres, follow the prescribed maintenance schedule and just ride the thing.

Did you read the warranty yet?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

GN2 - he made a reasonable request, and is right -- things are different in the UK than elsewhere. Honda USA will validate warranty claims, even with minor modifications. They replaced my engine block under warranty because the centerstand broke, despite me basically replacing the entire back end, hacking out the passenger handle, and adding a rear rack. I doubt he has any intentions of reading his warranty.

At 12k km, your rollers might be worn. If you have an impact wrench, it's pretty easy to remove the variator to check. Alternatively, you could just have the shop do it for you. I'm jealous of how cheap everything is over in Thailand, even having my variator troubleshooted for an issue like this would be easily $100. :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:GN2 - he made a reasonable request, and is right -- things are different in the UK than elsewhere.
Forgive me if I'm being thick, but judging by both mine and the OP's very similar experiences vis-a-vis Honda PCX warranty claims it would seem Thailand isn't really that much different after all.
Well apart from the ladyboys and pervy sex tourists obviously.