godamnit... I just 'failed' my CBT! :(

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gse123
Regular User
Regular User

godamnit... I just 'failed' my CBT! :(

Post by gse123 »

I always thought the CBT was something that was almost impossible not to pass (unless you knocked someone ever in the street etc!) but having just done mine I was told that I would need to come back and do it again.

Their reasoning was that I hesitated at a big roundabout , and came within a distance they considered dangerous to a car next to be and had to take 'corrective action' to avoid an accident (no brakes were slammed on etc, just had to be a bit abrupt on my line)

This is fair enough, however I do feel cheated by the whole thing slightly.... it didn't start well when 3 of us turned up to learn on auto scooters (pre-booked as such), but they only had 2 scooters there. Therefore for all the practical stuff, one of us was always standing around . And when It came to riding on the roads, the radio / earpiece wasn't working properly and kept cutting out every 5 mins... forcing me to pull over several times just because I was getting a load of noise in my ear and no clear instruction! Also, other distractions like the left mirror being held on with electricians tape meant that it kept moving on its own with the vibration of the bike which was incredibly distracting not to mention dangerous.

All in all, very dissapointed... as although I admit I pulled out unsafely at the roundabout, there were so many other things wrong / distracting me (earpiece / radio playing up, knackered mirror) that I don't think it helped me at all.

Oh well... gotta phone them up on Monday to see how soon I can be re-booked in :(

my PCX arrives on Wednesday.... guess it will have to stay parked up for the time being.
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Re: godamnit... I just 'failed' my CBT! :(

Post by EmilyJEG »

That sounds a bit dodgy. I've read about some places failing people so they have to pay extra to do it again - I wonder if this was partly to do with it? I know when my boyfriend and I did the course, he hesitated a few times with things but the tutor told him he would have to see him do it properly to pass - and gave him a couple more opportunities to prove himself.

Anyway, sorry that you didn't pass :(
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

Sorry to hear that. You'll pass with flying colors the next go around!
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

EmilyJEG wrote:That sounds a bit dodgy. I've read about some places failing people so they have to pay extra to do it again - I wonder if this was partly to do with it? I know when my boyfriend and I did the course, he hesitated a few times with things but the tutor told him he would have to see him do it properly to pass - and gave him a couple more opportunities to prove himself.

Anyway, sorry that you didn't pass :(
They are charging me 40 to re-do it, not the 110 it cost me today luckily.... They said the 40 was for equipment hire' and if I brought along my own bike and clothing it would be free.

Still gutted though... Especially where the faulty equipment etc was concerned. Oh well! There is always next time...
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

It must have been a pretty dangerous situation you put yourself in. Cant blame the equipment as you could have told them you wanted proper equipment but you chose to carry on even though you found the equipment not up to standard. Better luck next time
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

Sorry to hear your plight, I think most places charge a nominal fee for extra training.

I must admit, on a large roundabout I took a more direct route to the third exit (straight on) rather than following round properly...I had a bollocking for it, learned my lesson and like the two others on the day of CBT training with me we all passed.

There again we did not have dodgy mirrors, went through setting them up during on site training and although the radios were said to be a little "ropey" at times never cut out.

He was confident I was ready to continue learning on the roads, and passed me, I still cannot say I enjoy roundabouts yet, or for that matter have the confidence filtering through traffic but I am braking far less and judging speeds with the road ahead which is gradually building my confidence.

All the best for your extra training.
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

gse123 wrote:They are charging me 40 to re-do it, not the 110 it cost me today luckily.... They said the 40 was for equipment hire' and if I brought along my own bike and clothing it would be free.

Still gutted though... Especially where the faulty equipment etc was concerned. Oh well! There is always next time...
I suppose that's not as bad - when I was looking around for training I found these reviews of a place near here (http://www.qype.co.uk/place/1320441-Tom ... ning-Leeds), which is what made me wonder.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

Sorry for your misfortune.

Why don’t you wait until you can take your PCX down there for the test? You’d save a bunch of cash, and could show your skills on the bike you are familiar with and enjoy riding.

Too bad you can’t come take your test here. My work schedule prevents me from the training sessions most folks take to insure they pass. So I took the test expecting to fail, but at least I would know what maneuvers to practice so I could test successfully later. When the tester told me I passed on the first try, I guffawed in her face. I didn’t mean to be rude, but it was so unexpected.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I failed my bike test (on a 250 in those days) twice before passing, if its any concellation. Didnt do any training and didnt try them test till after riding for 2 years so already had bad habits like looking in mirrors instead of looking around which is what the tester wanted to see.
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

Urbanian wrote:Sorry for your misfortune.

Why don’t you wait until you can take your PCX down there for the test? You’d save a bunch of cash, and could show your skills on the bike you are familiar with and enjoy riding.

That would be ideal... but unfortunately I don't think I know anyone local that would be able to ride it to the training centre for me (and back afterwards if I didn't pass...again!)

Will definitely ask around though! I should be getting my PCX on Wednesday / Thursday and the next CBT I can take would be on Saturday (if they had any free slots)
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

TC3 wrote:It must have been a pretty dangerous situation you put yourself in. Cant blame the equipment as you could have told them you wanted proper equipment but you chose to carry on even though you found the equipment not up to standard. Better luck next time
I admit the dodgy roundabout manoeuvre, and therefore failing the CBT was no-ones fault but my own... it was just a tad frustrating that the radio headset decided to cut off just as I was approaching a main roundabout, in busy traffic, in the dark, and I was 'left hanging' with no instruction as to what exit to get off etc.

To be honest, under the conditions, as it was literally the first time I had ever been out on the road properly in any vehicle, I think I did pretty well for the rest of the CBT. I'm sure next time I will be more confident.
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

You didn't fail your CBT its not a test so you cant fail it,
The instructor thinks you need a extra day training that's all so worry about it
sounds like you got a good instructor I had a bad one when I did mine he was stopping every 10 Minutes for a smoke :|
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Gse123 where are you located? Maybe someone here is close and could help out
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

TC3 wrote:Gse123 where are you located? Maybe someone here is close and could help out
I'm in Kettering, Northamptonshire :)

I have just spoken to a friend of my Wife's who said he would be happy to ride my PCX over to the CBT location for me, provided it was at a weekend.. which is good! Will certainly be a bit different to doing it on a beat up old 50cc kymco moped!
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

You wont be able to do your CBT on your own bike without any motorbike insurance and I don`t think you can get any insurance without passing your CBT first.

why would you want to risk dropping your new bike on your CBT remember there are old but well maintained bikes for a reason new riders do drop them very often, good luck and ride safe
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

Exactly right uploader..fortunately for me the place I did my CBT training had a PCX for training on...so I was able to take my CBT on the bike I wanted to buy as soon as I passed it.
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

uploader wrote:You wont be able to do your CBT on your own bike without any motorbike insurance and I don`t think you can get any insurance without passing your CBT first.

why would you want to risk dropping your new bike on your CBT remember there are old but well maintained bikes for a reason new riders do drop them very often, good luck and ride safe
I do have my PCX insured already - my insurer was ok with the fact that I didn't yet have my CBT... And in fact the dealer that I purchased the bike from couldn't even release it to me without a copy of the insurance certificate first...
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

gse123 wrote: I have just spoken to a friend of my Wife's who said he would be happy to ride my PCX over to the CBT location for me,
Glad to hear it! Is there any place you can practice on your PCX before testing again?

In my state if you already have an automobile license and you take the written test, they issue a motorcycle permit which only disallows driving after dark or with a passenger. The permit is good for 6 mos. The driving portion is on the grounds of the testing facility. The test is designed for you to demonstrate that you have control of your bike in emergency maneuvers (assuming you already know the rules of the road since you have an auto license already). Again, too bad you couldn’t take your test here.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

We have the same thing in our state, Urbanian. My wife's a good scooterist, but too nervous to take the driving test, so she's been renewing her permit over and over for the past two years. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

I did the final part of my CBT on my PCX, Got it trailered to the test center. I could not stand the scooter they had there, the break leaver was in a very awkward position and it was making my hand cramp.

Also when I did my CBT we just followed the guy around, so as long as we kept up, we passed :p