Tyre puzzle - Lucky conclusion?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Tyre puzzle - Lucky conclusion?

Post by Teamtd11 »

My rear tyre has got to the point of being slick in the center of the tread. My front does not need imminent replacement but it is not looking to good either.

I priced up the tyres on http://www.oponeo.co.uk With 48H delivery for a set of City Grips the cost would be £93! :O
ebay a set of IRC tyres would be £95 delivered :/

A little bit of looking around and I found a set of wheels second hand on ebay from a scooter breaker. Both wheels listed as very good condition and the tyres on them are listed as good. Both treads look like they have plenty of life left, the total delivered £91.97!

With the weather is getting worse, working full time and useing my bike every day. This looks like the quickest, Cheapest way to get some safer tyres onto my bike. Plus I can then fit some new tyres to my spare wheels when the price drops again :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Tyre puzzle - Lucky conclusion?

Post by gn2 »

With normal delivery the rear is £36 front is £46...?
Weird.
Just get the rear for now and keep the OEM front till it needs replacing.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Was is the same position regarding wear but just flipped both tyres for Diablo's. Main reason was the front IRC just is not a cold weather tyre for me. No feedback at all from cold roads and hence no confidence in the front end. Diablo is better but certainly no M+S rated tyre.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Nobody wrote:Was is the same position regarding wear but just flipped both tyres for Diablo's. Main reason was the front IRC just is not a cold weather tyre for me. No feedback at all from cold roads and hence no confidence in the front end. Diablo is better but certainly no M+S rated tyre.

Don't think I've ever driven a scooter hard enough to generate or require tyre feedback. Flex from the frame design and the bicycle forks and the bloody great unsprung weight at the rear kind of swamps all that

By feedback do you mean you can't feel how much grip you might have?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

qed wrote:By feedback do you mean you can't feel how much grip you might have?
Yeah, guess you could say that but not pushing anywhere near the limits that is for sure. Take it much easier in these sort of conditions (just above freezing) but just felt wooden on the front turning in - didn't give me any confidence. Diablo feels better but that could just be a fact of having new rubber all round.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I've ridden hundreds of miles in temperatures five degrees either side of zero on the IRC oem tyres and providing that you ride properly according to the road conditions they are perfectly acceptable.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

Wheels and tyres will be arriving tomorrow. Saves me walking 2 miles or paying bus fair to go get new tyres put on my wheels.
Then when some city-grips are available at keen pricing I shall be ordering a pair and get them fitted to my spare wheels at my next convenience.

I've taken the rear off before but never taken the front off. Should not be to hard I hope?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You'll need something to prop the scooter up with when you remove the front wheel.
Once the wheel is off remove the brake disc before you start with the tyre levers ;)
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

Spare set of wheels, you can get a set of snow chains and change the wheels accordingly :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Teamtd11 wrote:Wheels and tyres will be arriving tomorrow. Saves me walking 2 miles or paying bus fair to go get new tyres put on my wheels.
Then when some city-grips are available at keen pricing I shall be ordering a pair and get them fitted to my spare wheels at my next convenience.

I've taken the rear off before but never taken the front off. Should not be to hard I hope?

Fair enough
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

Something nice arrived!
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

mytyres.co.uk for either pirelli or michelin.....prefer the pirellis my self..
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Teamtd11 wrote:Image

Something nice arrived!

I'll buy the spare wheels off you if you don't need them :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

trigg123 wrote:mytyres.co.uk for either pirelli or michelin.....prefer the pirellis my self..
Have you tested them back to back?
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

i have had both,michelins claimsabout wet weather safety are tripe....you have to be sensible in the wet no matter what you have around your wheels!!..the pirelli i have used on previous scoots and just put on my pcx,no issues at all...but like everything its what the individual likes
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000