Glove Box Latch

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Glove Box Latch

Post by figurehead71 »

One bone of contention I have with the PCX is the glovebox, with the door of it being cheap and flimsy and not having a lock.

On my PCX it never has seemed to "latch" with any conviction, and now I have put on my Termoscud utilising the screw under the door flap I have actually had it pop open.

Does anyone elses glovebox have a weak latch? And/Or does anyone know if the latch is easily adjusted? Thanks.
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Glove Box Latch

Post by gse123 »

Yep... I have to press really firmly on the glovebox door for the latch to secure.... even then i'm not convinced. I would never trust it to hold anything remotely valuable - even just whilst in transit. I just keep a small hand towel in there to use wipe down the seat before I get on it, if it has been rained on.
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

figurehead71 wrote:Does anyone elses glovebox have a weak latch? And/Or does anyone know if the latch is easily adjusted? Thanks.
Yeah, mine is pretty flimsy as well. I don't know of any way to adjust it though. :(
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

Nothing but some DIY will get it to lock. I plan to get a lock from the hardware store. Some cheap $2 lock with keys should do the trick.
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

Black Bandit wrote:Nothing but some DIY will get it to lock. I plan to get a lock from the hardware store. Some cheap $2 lock with keys should do the trick.
Mind posting photos once you do it?
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

Definitely phivb. Will do. If I don't screw it up! :P
PCX-rider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX-rider »

Mine lock is bad too. Maybe we (the forum with the mayor Maddiedog) should complain to the factory against this weakness?
Black Bandit
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Black Bandit »

PCX-rider wrote:Mine lock is bad too. Maybe we (the forum with the mayor Maddiedog) should complain to the factory against this weakness?
Good idea PCX-rider. You go ahead and start a petition, I'll go fill up my beer glass. 8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Never had a problem with mine.
I always make sure it's not overfilled and that the seal is not obstructed and it always shuts and stays shut.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

At least its easier to latch the glove box than the 125 seat. Does the 150 seat latch easier? I only keep my garage door remote in the glovebox.
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

gn2 wrote:Never had a problem with mine.
I always make sure it's not overfilled and that the seal is not obstructed and it always shuts and stays shut.
That's one thing about mine, its not even used and doesn't shut at all well.
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

Taz wrote:At least its easier to latch the glove box than the 125 seat. Does the 150 seat latch easier? I only keep my garage door remote in the glovebox.
Definitely are quite a number of niggles with the PCX..once you get past the stylish looks and dig deeper certain aspects feel as cheap as the price tag.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Having owned one for two years my feelings exactly.
The quality of materials and finish in certain areas leaves much to be desired.
Definitely not suited to the rigours of year round use on Scottish roads, but what two wheeler is.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

If Scottish votes for independence, I am sure the Government will make further Donald Trump like decisions to plough up the landscape for tourism to rake in the dough and inject that cash into making the Scottish roads impeccable :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The landscape was already devastated to provide grazing for sheep which is why Jack Daniels, IBM, Uncle Sam, manned spaceflight and the USA exists.
Interestingly 23 US presidents have Scottish ancestry including the current one.
Anyway it's the weather which is the real problem rather than the infrastructure.
FritzPinguin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by FritzPinguin »

I use the box to store my mobile quickly when a sudden shower crosses my way. It is better protected in there than in my pocket. On longer tours I keep my phone charger in the box, since that's the place with the 12V-connector. I will post pictures of my genius 3-$-Phone-Holder soon...
Bike history: Germany: Staiger 50cc 2-stroke, BMW 250 (from 1952, my age), Honda Dax ST70, Honda CB 125 (Twin), Honda CB 750, Kawa Z400j
Thailand: Kawa Zephyr 400, Honda Wave 110 S, Kawa ZX130, PCX 150 (as far as I can remember)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

figurehead71 wrote:
Taz wrote:At least its easier to latch the glove box than the 125 seat. Does the 150 seat latch easier? I only keep my garage door remote in the glovebox.
Definitely are quite a number of niggles with the PCX..once you get past the stylish looks and dig deeper certain aspects feel as cheap as the price tag.

So you got what you paid for. Thats not bad
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I've never had an issue with my glovebox -- it's always held tight, and I usually load it with my wallet, gloves, sometimes a cellphone and charger. I have more issues getting my seat closed though, the latch hardly ever catches unless I SLAM it. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

Never had a problem with my cubbyhole latch at all,it has always worked fine,it is a pity it doesn't have a lock