Broken down :(

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Broken down :(

Post by Tom192 »

On my way to work this morning, approx 50mph bike wobbled a bit and lost power, thought the back tyre had let go but that's still up. Bike won't start, wheel spins freely, there was a little smoke coming from transmission housing so I'm suspecting a snapped belt, last changed 6k miles since.

Have dumped it at bike shop till they open
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Broken down :(

Post by homie »

I see you have a 13 model and your original belt was replaced. Your most recent belt 6K ago was most likely before the new cogged belts were out so I assume its a standard smooth belt. You might have the shop install the new belt design IF you can find one for a 2013 model. I don't see cogged belts for older models :cry:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We have found that some of the replacement belts are not oem, which means that they could be cheap knockoffs that will break too soon. I wonder if you hadd one of those. I buy my belts from the dealer in order to be sure that mine are not going to break too soon. That doesn't mean that they won't. It does mean that I expect better life than 6k miles. It is not fun to have a belt break while you are on the road.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tom192 »

Not heard back from shop today so will be Monday now. I need to check my paperwork as I may not have waited until 15k it might have been around 12k when I changed it. I'm 99% sure I asked for a genuine belt, I'm very original parts for everything so can't see why I wouldn't of.

I've got my original belt in my shed hopefully the shop my give me some remains to compare.

Any thoughts on if it could be more serious? Bit worried it wouldn't start oil was fine within last two weeks or so and didn't see anything on road walking back over where it happened.

There was some smoke from the black plastic area just below the air filter
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

There could be belt remnants jammed up in the front transmission pulley preventing the motor from turning.
Get the belt casing off and have a look.
Always supply and fit your own belt, that way you know what's going in.
Honda's CVT scooter drive belts belts are made by "Bando" or "Mitsuboshi", if either of these isn't printed on it, the belt simply isn't made to the standard required by Honda.
At a push a Gates or Dayco belt might be OK if you can find one the correct size, but given the cost of an original there's no point cutting corners.
Definitely do not buy anything other than the four manufacturers I've just mentioned.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tom192 »

Good news it's only a shredded belt, least it's nothing terminal
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Every cloud has it's silver lining. :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Tom192 wrote:Good news it's only a shredded belt, least it's nothing terminal
Great news... happy ending and now we know the rest of the story.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Tom192 wrote:Good news it's only a shredded belt, least it's nothing terminal
Any confirmation as to whether it was an original or fake? (perhaps have to go by word from the dealer if you do not have the remnants to check).
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tom192 »

I've seen the remains of the belt it had the Honda bando writing on it same as my original one.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

When the belt was changed 6000 miles ago did you actually watch them change the belt?
Chances are they didn't bother.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tom192 »

I've got the old one and the old rollers and stuff. I trust the bike shop that it went to before. Guessing it was just bad luck. I have noticed a few vibrations recently at certain speeds should have had it checked out really sooner really

150 quid for belt and roller change though :(
WI_Hedgehog