Overfilled oil. Did i do any serious damage?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Overfilled oil. Did i do any serious damage?

Post by gn2 »

Davepcx wrote:Having to pay the main dealer £110 to change 1ltr of oil is daylight robbery in ny book.
It would be if changing the oil was all that got done at a 600 mile service.
If done properly the 600 mile service involves a thorough check of all sorts of stuff.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

lillypinkjenny wrote:You are paying the dealer to keep your warranty intact.
Huh?? The warranty comes from the manufacturer, not the dealer/service center, right? Or does Honda not reimburse for warranty repairs in the UK? What's the actual wording of the warranty's requirements for coverage?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The warranty is issued by Honda and crucially it reimburses the dealer not the owner for the cost of repairs.
In order for the warranty to remsin valid certain conditions must be met.
One of these conditions is to have the scooter servicrd by a franchised Honda dealer.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

Eiron wrote:
lillypinkjenny wrote:You are paying the dealer to keep your warranty intact.
Huh?? The warranty comes from the manufacturer, not the dealer/service center, right? Or does Honda not reimburse for warranty repairs in the UK? What's the actual wording of the warranty's requirements for coverage?

It is your responsibility to ensure that services are performed at the specified period and the service record is appropriately endorsed. In this way your machine will receive the full benefit of the Honda warranty.

Although there is a large network of authorised Honda dealers, it is preferable that routine servicing is performed by the original authorised Honda selling dealer where both you and the machine are known.

In normal servicing circumstances, regular servicing reduces the overall cost of maintenance.

Should a fault occur during the warranty period contact your authorised Honda dealer immediately and arrange an appointment for necessary work to be completed.

During the summer period, many dealers are very busy. It is therefore advisable to plan routine servicing well in advance.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

lillypinkjenny wrote:
It is your responsibility to ensure that services are performed at the specified period and the service record is appropriately endorsed. In this way your machine will receive the full benefit of the Honda warranty.

Although there is a large network of authorised Honda dealers, it is preferable that routine servicing is performed by the original authorised Honda selling dealer where both you and the machine are known.

In normal servicing circumstances, regular servicing reduces the overall cost of maintenance.

Should a fault occur during the warranty period contact your authorised Honda dealer immediately and arrange an appointment for necessary work to be completed.

During the summer period, many dealers are very busy. It is therefore advisable to plan routine servicing well in advance.
Hmmm.... this is obviously written with the assumption that the owner has no technical knowledge or skill. Perhaps valid for the majority of the population, but obviously not for folks frequenting this type of forum. So what happens if you're a retired Vauxhall mechanic and you own a PCX? I think what I'm asking is, if you're taking "responsibility to ensure that services are performed at the specified period" by doing the work yourself, what qualifies as "appropriately endorsed" for the service record?

Not trying to be a jerk about it, but I've always believed that anyone can do something as long as they're interested enough to learn how. And to me this sounds like an invitation to contact Honda UK and start asking pointed questions.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

gn2 wrote:The warranty is issued by Honda and crucially it reimburses the dealer not the owner for the cost of repairs.
One of these conditions is to have the scooter servicrd by a franchised Honda dealer.
Are there services covered free-of-charge under warranty (reimbursed to the dealer by Honda) that include anything we'd do as "regular maintenance"?
Fluid changes? Parts changes? Adjustments? Any parts or labor? Anything?
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

Eiron wrote:
lillypinkjenny wrote:

Hmmm.... this is obviously written with the assumption that the owner has no technical knowledge or skill. Perhaps valid for the majority of the population, but obviously not for folks frequenting this type of forum. So what happens if you're a retired Vauxhall mechanic and you own a PCX? I think what I'm asking is, if you're taking "responsibility to ensure that services are performed at the specified period" by doing the work yourself, what qualifies as "appropriately endorsed" for the service record?

Not trying to be a jerk about it, but I've always believed that anyone can do something as long as they're interested enough to learn how. And to me this sounds like an invitation to contact Honda UK and start asking pointed questions.
I'm not being a jerk about it either. You can ask all the pointed questions you like. As GN2 pointed out, it's enshrined in common law and subject to some high profile law changes a few years ago.

The answer is you can do what the f*** you like, should you view yourself as competent enough, and there is no reason why you shouldn't.

You will, however, be invalidating your UK warranty if you don't have the bike serviced by an applicable dealer.

Not everyone who buys a new PCX will be a retired Vauxhall mechanic. Giving everyone who buys one free reign to do their own servicing or get their mate down the pub to do it, and the expectation that their warranty will be honoured makes no business sense whatsoever.

I don't make the rules, I just obey the law and state it correctly on here. The OP was given BAD advice from folks not even in the UK, which is why I spoke up.

It maybe a timely reminder to everyone puffing their chest out and saying that warranties relying on dealer services are a bad thing, that the OP started this thread about overfilling his oil level, and was then advised to do his own service! ;)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Eiron wrote:
gn2 wrote:The warranty is issued by Honda and crucially it reimburses the dealer not the owner for the cost of repairs.
Are there services covered free-of-charge under warranty (reimbursed to the dealer by Honda) that include anything we'd do as "regular maintenance"?
Fluid changes? Parts changes? Adjustments? Any parts or labor? Anything?
All servicing paid for by owner.
Once upon a time first service was thrown in free, but alas no more.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

UK has different laws concerning automotive warranty. In US the Moss Ferguson Act protects private owners from manufacturers barring warranty claims . As long as the owner shows evidence that he/she performed the appropriate service and at the proper intervals the warranty remains in effect. Of course the proper fluids and specifications has to be evidenced. But, in the US its very difficult to deny warranty claims unless there is obvious neglect or mistreatment. Any dealer can deny a claim if there is a defect caused by owners negligence . Taking your vehicle to the dealer mainly serves to protect you by computer documenting your service event and much easier should there be any questionable issues. If it breaks in a year chances are its a manufacturers defect anyway unless there is an accident or some other obvious cause. Sometimes however a privately owned dealership may offer or sell you their own private warranty in which case they might stipulate using their mechanics and service center.In the US even if the dealer is right, if a legal challenge is made it is far cheaper to pay( warranty) the item then to have the legal hassle , time lost and expenses incurred. Even if the dealer prevails in court they usually never get back their total costs to fight the claim.. Its just not worth the fight in many cases.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Key difference, in the UK the warranty is never with the dealer so you're up against the considerably bigger clout of the manufacturer, and they regularly refuse claims.
There are aftermarket warranties for sale from certain financial companies, but they're really just insurance policies and riddled with exclusions and get-out clauses.
Davepcx
Year: 2018
Color: White

Post by Davepcx »

lillypinkjenny wrote:
You are paying the dealer to keep your warranty intact.

That's what they charge and whether you accept it or not is up to you.

Making a living, taking a risk, providing a service, filling up your oil to the correct level. It all costs.

;)
Im paying for the oil to be changed which is exactly what it says in my service book and also exactly what the dealer told me they'd do at the 600 mile service. Nothing else!
When my other bike goes in the dealer for oil change they charge me 1 hour Labour and they also stamp the service book which keeps my warranty valid.
So there doing the same job on the pcx but charging me £35 more ? And this is fair?

Makes no difference now anyway as ill be doing my own servicing now regardless but i see no way they can justify charging more to do an oil change on a pcx than they would charge on my versys 650 .

Dave.
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

Davepcx wrote:
lillypinkjenny wrote:
You are paying the dealer to keep your warranty intact.

That's what they charge and whether you accept it or not is up to you.

Making a living, taking a risk, providing a service, filling up your oil to the correct level. It all costs.

;)
Im paying for the oil to be changed which is exactly what it says in my service book and also exactly what the dealer told me they'd do at the 600 mile service. Nothing else!
When my other bike goes in the dealer for oil change they charge me 1 hour Labour and they also stamp the service book which keeps my warranty valid.
So there doing the same job on the pcx but charging me £35 more ? And this is fair?

Makes no difference now anyway as ill be doing my own servicing now regardless but i see no way they can justify charging more to do an oil change on a pcx than they would charge on my versys 650 .

Dave.
It is fair, yes. It's called mitigating risk on the main dealer's part.

It's £35 at the end of the day. It's not even worth debating really.

You have made a choice to do your own servicing and reject the warranty, and that's cool enough.

Not something I'd do personally but I respect your choice and hope it turns out OK (and it's a Honda so no reason why it shouldn't be fine and dandy.)

I apologise for being a bit prickly over the "stealer" issue. It's based upon personal experience of being called one myself. I'm a Property Developer, so I'm sure you can imagine.

I also apologise if it seemed like I was taking issue with you. I wasn't.

I was, however, a bit peed off that you had been given inaccurate information and bad advice. That reflected in my replies.

Peace :) xx
MiddleRiverPCX
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by MiddleRiverPCX »

I must admit my PCX has never been to the dealer for any service.
I have been a mechanic of some kind for a long time. One of the benefits of buying a solid understressed machine is reliability.
I have never had a problem that warranty would cover.
Bike was either out of warranty, or not a defect. Take good care of your Honda, and it will likely not require warranty service.
If you can do the repairs yourself, do them yourself. If you need the dealer, treat him well, unless you know a good mechanic.
Now, as far as changing oil...
Last couple times I changed the oil in my 2013 PCX I used a vacuum oil changer. I inserted the plastic tube in the dipstick hole, and moved it around to suck up all the oil I could. My purpose the first time I did it was to reduce the mess.
After I sucked out all the oil I could get, I pulled the plug, but VERY little oil came out. I am certain that the suction changer left less oil in the crankcase than the normal drain would. And the more old oil you can get out the better. Some oil will always be left behind. If you happen to have a vacuum oil changer (mine is for a boat engine) use it on your PCX.
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

lillypinkjenny wrote:
It is fair, yes. It's called mitigating risk on the main dealer's part.
We'll agree to disagree on that one...
lillypinkjenny wrote: I apologise for being a bit prickly over the "stealer" issue. It's based upon personal experience of being called one myself. I'm a Property Developer, so I'm sure you can imagine.
Ahh so you rob customers aswell then :D
lillypinkjenny wrote:
I also apologise if it seemed like I was taking issue with you. I wasn't.

I was, however, a bit peed off that you had been given inaccurate information and bad advice. That reflected in my replies.

Peace :) xx
Don't worry i don't take things personally on the interwebs lol and i do appreciate your input.
Just a difference of opinion really.

I still don't understand the logic behind their charges though. You say "mitigating risk" but then why would that not apply to the other bike, considering it was at the time under warranty yet they didn't feel the need then to charge me an extra 35 quid warranty charge on that...
In my opinion even 75 quid would be way too much for a simple oil change but I'd pay that because its there hourly rate.
The only way they could justify the extra is if there was more involved in this first service which according to the dealer (and my service book)there wasn't.
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

Davepcx wrote: I still don't understand the logic behind their charges though.
You would probably be best off asking the particular dealer on that one. I only know from limited experience of working for one franchised dealer, but we didn't have different rates for warranty- maintaining work.
Davepcx wrote:
lillypinkjenny wrote: I apologise for being a bit prickly over the "stealer" issue. It's based upon personal experience of being called one myself. I'm a Property Developer, so I'm sure you can imagine.
Ahh so you rob customers aswell then :D
Yeah, but it's a loose definition and open to interpretation. :lol:

From my viewpoint it's fronting up £250k in cash for their insistence on a quick sale, for two Daughters who inherited their late Mum's house. Clearing all the piss-smelling stuff they couldn't be arsed to remove themselves, organising and paying trades to refurbish and redecorate the place, selling it on and paying the tax.

From their viewpoint, I robbed them of their inheritance, based upon what I sold the property for. Meanwhile they "invested" their inheritance on all-inclusive holidays, X-boxes, £40k cars on PCP, and drank the rest.

8)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Manufacturers stipulate what time a job takes.
They don't necessarily allocate the same times per service as each other.
Ergo despite the hourly labour rate being the same, the costs may well be different.

FACT: A 600 mile service costs more than an oil change because there's more work to do on a 600 mile service than just changing the oil.
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

gn2 wrote:Manufacturers stipulate what time a job takes.
They don't necessarily allocate the same times per service as each other.
Ergo despite the hourly labour rate being the same, the costs may well be different.
I get that, But there's just no way honda can say it takes more than 1 hour to change the oil on a pcx125?

gn2 wrote:
FACT: A 600 mile service costs more than an oil change because there's more work to do on a 600 mile service than just changing the oil.
Can you provide some factual info on this fact?
I'm not saying your wrong here because i honestly don't know. I'm simply going off the service manual and what the actual honda dealer told me.

Thanks.
Dave.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

In the dark days of 2013, the 600 mile service cost me $306 US. They allotted 3 hours and, if they actually followed the manual, changed the oil, checked the valves, engine idle speed, brake system, brake lock operation (a US thing, I think), checked all nuts, bolts, and fasteners (hard to believe ALL, but hopefully at least the ones that keep the wheels and brakes on), and the steering head bearings. They also charged me for final drive oil, which suggests that they changed that as well (although not on the Maintenance table in the manual).

It is possible that your dealer did a bit more than just change the oil.

Or not. Unless you put nail polish or paint on critical fasteners so that you can see if they were actually turned, you have just trust that your not getting taken.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

GeorgeSK has it right regarding the amount of work which is supposed to be done.
You can check by looking in your owner's manual at the service schedule table.
Dealers and their staff will often tell you whatever lies make them the most profit.
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

Looking though my service manual right now...
Change oil at 600 mile. Idle speed ,valve inspect, brake fluid ,brakes, and pretty much everythung else isn't done until 4k miles.
Final drive oil done after 2 years...

There is nothing other than oil change due at the 600 mile service according ti my service manual.
Things like checking fluids and checking nuts and bolts were done before i was allowed to pick the bike up...
Maybe theres different schedule between the u.k. and u.s. spec....

Ill upload pic of the service table...