Does size matter - or more to it?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Re: Does size matter - or more to it?

Post by Mister Paul »

Slightly OT from the reasons for the OP, but I'm currently dedicated to singing the praises of the SH300i. I've had a 110 Vision, which was incredibly cheap to run and good for pottering, but a nightmare on the motorway. I've had a PX125, which is the proper scooter, but again it was slow and not the best for year-round running.

I've had a 300 Forza, which was faster but still had small wheels so wasn't great on the motorway or rough roads. It was fast enough on the motorway, but blew around like a sail. It vibrated. Given its size and handling it wasn't great for filtering.

Then I bought an sh300i. I bought it because I wanted the speed and acceleration but wanted the best size and maneuverability to be able to get around the appalling Bristol traffic. So I wasn't too concerned about the prospect of comfort on long rides as if I was to pop up to Birmingham it wouldn't be very often. I assumed that the Forza would be much more comfortable on long rides. I was astonished to find that this isn't the case. On 2 hour rides on the Forza I'd often find myself moving my feet position due to discomfort. On the sh? Nothing. Recently I did a trip to France on the sh and never once felt any discomfort which would lead me to looking for something else to do with my feet. It was far better than the Forza. It's the most comfortable, fastest, nippiest scooter I've owned so far. It's great fun banking it around corners as it has the confidence that the Forza never did. It's the closest to motorbike feel of any scooter I've ridden (Forza/Burgman/Silverwing all feel wallowy and like they're going to suddenly protest if you fling them around).

I'm not sure how this would differ for a taller rider (I'm 5'10") but perhaps we should ask the Italians. The sh is their go-to scoot, and numbers talk.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The position of the seat relative to the footboards is probably what makes the two feel so different.
I found that the Forza doesn't put your feet in a position which takes some weight off your bum.
Going from a PCX to the Forza the immediate impession was that the seat was markedly lower.
When I had the Forza it got used mostly on fast A-roads and I found the handling to be very acceptable in all conditions. As always, YMMV
I would be more inclined to buy another PCX than a Forza, if only they did a 22hp 200cc PCX.... even if the new 2018 125 made the maximum EU limit of 15hp it would be a step in the right direction.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

Now I have reached the old age of 60, the 3 small cc scoots in the garage do me fine, [just greedy] and doing too much miles going to school [work] 5 days, I find it makes the riding so much easier.
Do I want to go bigger in cc/weight/power/running costs? I don't no. But riding the small scoots round very very tight country lanes, and I mean so tight, I wouldn't take my car down them, and it's also small. I find that because of where I am riding I don't want to go bigger and because I am going slowly, I can see more things.
I went to the May-day-run [this is England] on my Honda sh125, and I didn't want to go any quicker,[look up on you-tube]
It's not what you got, but it's how you use it.
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

I only wish my Forza 300 had the center hump gone. Just like the SYM RV200 EVO
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

That would be idea for all leg positions. Stretched out or straight with a ton of footroom.

And the Forza does vibe a bit at freeway speeds. Other than that, I really enjoy mine and don't see anything that I would want to sell it for.
:geek:
erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015/Forza 300
Color: Pearl White

Post by erisaman »

I guess I've 'flip-flopped' around enough so now thank you all for your thoughts, observations and the experiences expressed. I really wanted the extra power and presence of the Forza as a trike, compared to the PCX125 as a trike - I felt the 3 wheeler drag and the local hills warranted a power boost (repeating myself - the PCX 150 is not available in the UK). However, common sense has prevailed and I think, maybe, possibly, perhaps .... I'll go for the PCX.

I like the look etc of the PCX (pic attached - maybe choose a more subtle colour) but most of all, believe it or not, the convenience of being able to 'park' the PCX trike in my garage through winter (whereas the Forza would force the car into the outside) makes life so much easier. There are cost factors of course, probably a minimum of £1500 extra for a good used Forza, the conversion kit is about £300 more, and then the UK road tax, now known as 'VED', costs £88 ($110) per year for the Forza, whereas the PCX 125 is just £19 ($25?). That is not a deciding factor by any means, but every little counts - especially as I'm still trying to convince myself :).

So thank you again - probably more questions to follow, but I do appreciate everything that has been said.
Attachments
This is a three wheeled trike - not a bike with "outrigger" wheels
This is a three wheeled trike - not a bike with "outrigger" wheels
image.jpeg (156.32 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
If you don't stand for something - you'll fall for anything.
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

Mister Paul wrote:....300 Forza, which was faster but still had small wheels so wasn't great on the motorway or rough roads. It was fast enough on the motorway, but blew around like a sail. It vibrated. Given its size and handling it wasn't great for filtering.........
Vibration??? I find my 2014 Forza 300 smooth and quiet, almost as good as what I'd expect an electric scooter to be. And I don't feel it's get blown around bad at all. Maybe it's what you've been use to previously...a Reflex 250 and several 250-500cc motorcyles.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

SteveP wrote:
Mister Paul wrote:....300 Forza, which was faster but still had small wheels so wasn't great on the motorway or rough roads. It was fast enough on the motorway, but blew around like a sail. It vibrated. Given its size and handling it wasn't great for filtering.........
Vibration??? I find my 2014 Forza 300 smooth and quiet, almost as good as what I'd expect an electric scooter to be. And I don't feel it's get blown around bad at all. Maybe it's what you've been use to previously...a Reflex 250 and several 250-500cc motorcyles.
Yeah, vibration. At a certain rev point. It was irritating until we got to about 1500 miles, then went until about 5k miles before it came back again.

And as to side winds, I travel on the Somerset levels a fair bit so it can get windy. But I've never had to pull onto the hard shoulder on any other bike I've ridden. It could be pretty bad.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

erisaman wrote:I guess I've 'flip-flopped' around enough so now thank you all for your thoughts, observations and the experiences expressed. I really wanted the extra power and presence of the Forza as a trike, compared to the PCX125 as a trike - I felt the 3 wheeler drag and the local hills warranted a power boost (repeating myself - the PCX 150 is not available in the UK). However, common sense has prevailed and I think, maybe, possibly, perhaps .... I'll go for the PCX.

I like the look etc of the PCX (pic attached - maybe choose a more subtle colour) but most of all, believe it or not, the convenience of being able to 'park' the PCX trike in my garage through winter (whereas the Forza would force the car into the outside) makes life so much easier. There are cost factors of course, probably a minimum of £1500 extra for a good used Forza, the conversion kit is about £300 more, and then the UK road tax, now known as 'VED', costs £88 ($110) per year for the Forza, whereas the PCX 125 is just £19 ($25?). That is not a deciding factor by any means, but every little counts - especially as I'm still trying to convince myself :).

So thank you again - probably more questions to follow, but I do appreciate everything that has been said.

That looks ok.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Once again I would like to suggest that if you convert a PCX 125 to a trike try to locate a NCY kit (variator, drive face, and 13 gram rollers) for it. You will get 10 more mph (16 km/h) out of that little engine. Yes, you may have to pay extra for shipping, taxes, etc., but it will be worth it, as you will see.

You can also do a big Bore Kit on tat engine, so there are ways to get more out of it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by erisaman »

Thanks both - yes the PCX (especially in Pearl Siena Red) is a 'pretty' scooter and looks nicely balanced.

I've taken note Mel46, I've been reading about Dr What's it's sliders and rollers and have even thought of the 175 big bore kit. That would send my up my hills pretty quick :lol: .
erisaman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by erisaman »

Done a little more research on the Yuminashi 153cc, domed piston upgrade and that seems to be the answer (at first glance - there'll be much more research conducted!!!). This will give me the performance of the 150 plus a little promised extra. I'm not looking to race anyone, just to have the reserves to get me to the top of the hill without slowing everyone else down to a crawl.

Thanks everyone.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Please don't waste your cash on this venture.
ALL scooter performance parts are poor quality and are almost certain to break.
If you are building a trike which you hope will sustain the speeds required not to be a rolling road block on hilly Welsh roads you will need to start with a 750 or thereabouts.
Trike = more weight + more mechanical and aerodynamic drag

And the best handling three wheelers ALWAYS have two wheels at the front ;)

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

:lol: Everytime I see that video on the Reliant Robin I have to laugh. It is so funny! Great car if you can get somewhere without turning the wheel. It's a trike. Just don't turn any corners. :lol: :roll:

That car needed small training wheels on the front corners so that the car wouldn't turn all the way over in a turn.

"Excuse me son. I need to borrow your training wheels so I can get to work upright. I will return them when I get back."
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by JustPassinThru »

lillypinkjenny wrote: and found out that I loved riding smaller bikes. I met the nicest guy ever who not only supports me but shares my views and values too.

When I injured my left hand, and was pregnant, I discovered that I liked auto scooters too, again out of necessity.
Small bikes are...the road not taken. The backroad, scenic and rewarding. The alternative.

I live in a Montana valley town, suddenly over-populated from California expatriates...traffic is horrific. A small bike, be it a PCX, or, before, a TW200...is flickable; lane-splittable; moveable.

A big liter-bike - and I had a BMW R1200GS - is a PAIN in such an environment. Smaller is better. A top-speed of 60 is not even an issue.

I have a Versys 650 for the times I want the open road. For getting around town...small and light does the number.
Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kompact »

The PCX doesn't have even close to enough hp to convert into a trike. It's a slow sluggish scoot to begin with, you make it less aero dynamic and heavier and you might as well just walk.

The Forza is a better option but still .... seems like a huge waste of money.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Riders don't convert their bikes to trikes because they want horsepower or because they want it to be more aero dynamic. They convert it because it gives them something else...accessibility. when I was riding up in the North Georgia mountains I came across several veterans on trikes. Without trikes they could no longer ride.

Also, my wife would like for her pcx to be triked because at the present time she has to put on boots with 3 inch soles just so that she can touch the ground at a stop. These boots solved her problem, but they are tricky to walk in, so she has to change out of them when we stop for lunch. Try walking on 3 inch soles. I don't see how women can walk in high heels, let alone combat boots with 3 inch soles.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kompact »

Get her to test ride an MP3. Forget how goofy it looks and have her actually ride it, she'll love it.
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

Kompact wrote:Get her to test ride an MP3. Forget how goofy it looks and have her actually ride it, she'll love it.
Like this? My winter time grocery getter. GIO MP3
Attachments
Phone Pics 131.JPG
Phone Pics 131.JPG (429.15 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Uuh..... :roll: o_O
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kompact »

One of these. Actually has enough power to ride, including on the highway, you don't ever have to put a foot down and they are really stable at speed and in corners. It's a better option over a Forza trike conversion in every way.
Attachments
0249b487803a61020c15685155376dd3.jpg
0249b487803a61020c15685155376dd3.jpg (57.25 KiB) Viewed 1196 times