Chevron Supreme oil in my Forza.

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Chevron Supreme oil in my Forza.

Post by 87112 »

Hi all. I have some unused Chevron Supreme car oil 10w 40. I can use this in the Forza as long as its not resource or energy conserving right?
:geek:
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: Chevron Supreme oil in my Forza.

Post by davenowherejones »

Oil thread. Game on.

First off, I have 75,000 km on my Forza. I do oil changes at the Honda recommended 12,800 km or 8000 miles.

The Honda 10W30 moly oil is almost impossible to get in Canada (Vancouver area). The Honda dealer put 10W40 oil in at my one and only dealer oil change.

The small Honda engine only spins at 9000 max. I think I hit 8000 occasionally. It ain't no super bike at 14,000 rpm. The energy conserving oil problem is for bikes with wet clutches. The Forza is dry so that does not matter.

Everyone has an opinion of oil and religion. It is not worth fighting over either. Go ahead and use the Chevron you have.
Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kompact »

Only
davenowherejones wrote:Go ahead and use the Chevron you have.
Only if it meets the standards set out in the manual.
Attachments
screenshot.2.jpg
screenshot.2.jpg (75.36 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Energy Conserving only matters when a wet clutch is involved.Honda did a cut and paste on that spec..No wet clutch in CVT drive.Any good quality 10w-30 /40 is fine.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Correct oil is 10w30. 10w40 will do fine so long as its the slippy type.
The sticky type is no use at all.
Make sure to ask at the shop if its the slippy type or not.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

For the USA southwest 10W40 is probably OK. I bet it is hot there right now. Winter in Canada would be a different story. BUT mine is in the SHED all winter for fear of ice.

Some of the stuff in here is true, some is myths, who knows which is which. Honda lawn mowers run with almost no one doing oil changes. The Forza engine is not much different .

Going riding in the rain after I abuse a Honda lawnmower at a neighbour's house.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

gn2 wrote:Correct oil is 10w30. 10w40 will do fine so long as its the slippy type.
True. The Forza does not use normal "motorcycle" oil (sticky) but actually car oil (slippy) since it has the dry clutch at the rear wheel. It will work with motorcycle oil but car oil is better.

A lot of kids at the dealer doing oil changes have no knowledge of this. Even a lot of mechanics have very little experience with CVT scooters.
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

The confusing part for me was the " do not use resource or energy conserving oil" part in the manual and than reading elsewhere its OK to use car oil in scooters since they don't have a wet clutch. So as the other poster says Honda just cut and paste that part from its motorcycle owners manual.
Kompact
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Kompact »

If you think you know better then the engineers that designed the engine you're wrong, use the oil the manual states to. The whole they copy pasted from a motorcycle manual is nonsense.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Kompact wrote:If you think you know better then the engineers that designed the engine you're wrong, use the oil the manual states to. The whole they copy pasted from a motorcycle manual is nonsense.
It is not available here.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

gn2 wrote:Correct oil is 10w30. 10w40 will do fine so long as its the slippy type.
Tell you what gn2,
I'll be over here by the helmets and will watch whilst you go up to those 4 guys at the service counter and ask if they're putting the slippy kind in the Forzas..
Go ahead..now...this'll be fun.
☺fish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

I justed checked the Chevron Supreme oil has neither resource or energy conserving on the back. My other extra oil Pennzoil Plantium has one of the 2 resource conversing on the back. And will avoid that one.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

OIL thread again, LOL.

PCX, no wet clutch, so oil purpose is to lubricate the moving parts inside the engine and to keep the engine cool as well.

as long as it is the right viscosity it'll do, imho..

OIL is a BIG business, these companies will never run out of gimmick just to keep us buying ..
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

The only energy Conserving oil is 5w- 30..Honda says to use 10w-30.which is not energy Conserving.Its all about the proper grade..forget that other bs.Any 10w-30 with SG classification is suitable.Dont over think it.
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

I did the oil change yesterday and put over 100 miles with the dino Chevron Supreme. Previous oil was Motul semi synthetic. The bike sounds more gruff or motorcycle like. Its definitely not in my head as I paid close attention to the feel. I may just go dino oil on the car as well.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

87112 wrote:I did the oil change yesterday and put over 100 miles with the dino Chevron Supreme. Previous oil was Motul semi synthetic. The bike sounds more gruff or motorcycle like. Its definitely not in my head as I paid close attention to the feel. I may just go dino oil on the car as well.
Which one meets the lubricant requirements specified in your manual?
If both do, I'd get the Chevron out ASAP. I'm after sewing machine smooth - not tractor.
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:
87112 wrote:I did the oil change yesterday and put over 100 miles with the dino Chevron Supreme. Previous oil was Motul semi synthetic. The bike sounds more gruff or motorcycle like. Its definitely not in my head as I paid close attention to the feel. I may just go dino oil on the car as well.
Which one meets the lubricant requirements specified in your manual?
If both do, I'd get the Chevron out ASAP. I'm after sewing machine smooth - not tractor.
Fish

Agreed. Or something else is afoot.

Whatever oil you put in it shouldn't "feel" any different.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The Honda Forza 300 has a cheap little Honda single cylinder low revving engine. It will run with practically any engine oil sold today. 12,800 km change intervals mean you pollute slightly less.

88,000 km on mine and counting.
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

I am checking the Forza manual for the recommended engine oil.

1. States API service classification SJ or higher- the Chevron Oil is SN

2. States 10w-30- I put in 10w-40

I did make sure it was neither energy conserving or resource conserving

As for the feel of the bike, it does sound different than with the semi synthetic oil for sure. Louder, and a more responsive sound. With the semi syn oil, it felt too quiet and smooth kind of boring sound. I prefer tractor I guess to a sewing machine.
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 87112 »

davenowherejones wrote:The Honda Forza 300 has a cheap little Honda single cylinder low revving engine. It will run with practically any engine oil sold today. 12,800 km change intervals mean you pollute slightly less.

88,000 km on mine and counting.
I have never heard of anyone riding that many miles on a scooter before. In my area we see people trading in bikes with over 25k,30k ( usa miles) because the owner does not think they can sell a high mileage bike on their own.