Mom allows "scooter"

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Mom allows "scooter"

Post by gn2 »

You're 24, long past time to stand on your own two feet.
Its about time you grew a pair.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

24? Bloody hell mate that is not cool being controlled by your mother in that way.
Maybe she thinks you want a bike from OCC (orange county choppers) and tattoos like Paul Senior :-)
Then again nothing wrong with that (yes I am an OCC fan)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Hoax or Bates Motel?
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I bought my first bike (Honda CG125) and moved out of home at 17. Freedom (George Michael song I believe!). Had to push the bike home a few km as didnt have a helmet and didnt know how to ride!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

JetFalcon, Hi. I'm wondering, how confident are "you" about riding a motorized 2 wheeler?
This thread is baffling me, honestly. "I'm not" getting it? :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Mom allows "scooter"

Post by Alibally »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355094773.625762.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355094773.625762.jpg (15.71 KiB) Viewed 1395 times
LoL
JetFalcon

Post by JetFalcon »

WhiteNoise wrote:JetFalcon, Hi. I'm wondering, how confident are "you" about riding a motorized 2 wheeler?
I'm pretty confident. I have a 50cc gas powered beach cruiser. It's a great ride, but it's more on the toy side. It can only be in the bike lane and that thing gets scary to ride when the bike lane runs out and forced to be slower than the incoming traffic. And I'm limited to where I can go with it since I will have to find a place to lock this bike up everyt time and don't have the convenience of a key ignition.

I have ridden as passenger on some guy's Suzuki Boulevard and it was a great ride. Another motorcyclist on a high performance sport bike gave us a wave so I got a glimpse of the motorcycle community. Just one of those things that could make your day a little better and which is why I really want one. Now my mom backed out on the scooter idea because I was serious about going through with it and attending a motorcycle safety course to get my license. And also because I accidentally mentioned going on the freeway but only because I may have to.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

JetFalcon wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:JetFalcon, Hi. I'm wondering, how confident are "you" about riding a motorized 2 wheeler?
I'm pretty confident. I have a 50cc gas powered beach cruiser. It's a great ride, but it's more on the toy side. It can only be in the bike lane and that thing gets scary to ride when the bike lane runs out and forced to be slower than the incoming traffic. And I'm limited to where I can go with it since I will have to find a place to lock this bike up everyt time and don't have the convenience of a key ignition.

I have ridden as passenger on some guy's Suzuki Boulevard and it was a great ride. Another motorcyclist on a high performance sport bike gave us a wave so I got a glimpse of the motorcycle community. Just one of those things that could make your day a little better and which is why I really want one. Now my mom backed out on the scooter idea because I was serious about going through with it and attending a motorcycle safety course to get my license. And also because I accidentally mentioned going on the freeway but only because I may have to.
In a polite way can I say Get A Life and to hell with what your mum wants!
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012

Re: Mom allows

Post by djcat »

.[/quote]
In a polite way can I say Get A Life and to hell with what your mum wants![/quote]

I wouldn't be that extreme. Still: Any decent mother wants the best for her child and of course is afraid of it getting hurt. This will last a lifetime!

I take into account what my mom tells me, and think if she has a point. If so, I consider the point carefully...and make my own decision.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

djcat wrote:.
In a polite way can I say Get A Life and to hell with what your mum wants![/quote]

I wouldn't be that extreme. Still: Any decent mother wants the best for her child and of course is afraid of it getting hurt. This will last a lifetime!

I take into account what my mom tells me, and think if she has a point. If so, I consider the point carefully...and make my own decision.[/quote]

The fact is they do have a point as you are more likely to get hurt on a bike than in a car but you need to do what you want when you are the age of 24! You have one life......
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

When you do get a Scooter, try and take her on the back as a pillion. She may enjoy it so much she will buy her own. Many of the members of the scooter club I just joined are middle aged women and they run the club. Ive just made up a word: Vespanatics.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TC3 wrote:
djcat wrote:.
In a polite way can I say Get A Life and to hell with what your mum wants!

I take into account what my mom tells me, and think if she has a point. If so, I consider the point carefully...and make my own decision.[/quote]

The fact is they do have a point as you are more likely to get hurt on a bike than in a car but you need to do what you want when you are the age of 24! You have one life......[/quote]

And it shouldn't involve "bitty"
Mitch Detailed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mitch Detailed »

My mom considers all 2 wheeled cycles dangerous as well.

Her concluding factor was her not lasting 4 seconds on my pcx before running directly into the neighbors fence across the street. She had absolutely no control of it once it started moving because she pegged it and freaked out.
Cooley_PCX_Rider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cooley_PCX_Rider »

Great photos maddiedog.

I like the Foothills parkway.
Enjoy those roads every year.
The scooter has got to be fun on the mountain roads.

As for the best bike would go with 250cc instead for highway use. Don't even get on a freeway on a PCX.
PCX 150 Rider from East Central Illinois in the middle of the United States of America

djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012

Post by djcat »

[/quote]

The fact is they do have a point as you are more likely to get hurt on a bike than in a car but you need to do what you want when you are the age of 24! You have one life......[/quote]

Yes, but if you know what you are doing you should not get hurt either. Point is that people feel invulnerable in their tin boxes and when exposed to the dangers out in the open top of a two wheeler, freak out. Fact is that people just don't understand they can die in a car, too, but don't feel it as threatening.

Biking made me a much better driver and a much better person. It made me realize that some things I did before are not worth it (e.g.: do I really need to pass that car in front of me or can I wait two minutes? Should I really be driving after a sleepless night?). If you think about the consequences before every manoeuvre, plan ahead and think ahead you will be better off in any situation - not only traffic related. Ahead thinking, self-assessment and keeping my cool is what I learned once I started biking and I am sure that I actually raised my life expectancy by biking rather than driving the way I did before...

Take it easy mate, but take it, is my advice.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

djcat wrote:

Yes, but if you know what you are doing you should not get hurt either. Point is that people feel invulnerable in their tin boxes and when exposed to the dangers out in the open top of a two wheeler, freak out. Fact is that people just don't understand they can die in a car, too, but don't feel it as threatening.

Biking made me a much better driver and a much better person. It made me realize that some things I did before are not worth it (e.g.: do I really need to pass that car in front of me or can I wait two minutes? Should I really be driving after a sleepless night?). If you think about the consequences before every manoeuvre, plan ahead and think ahead you will be better off in any situation - not only traffic related. Ahead thinking, self-assessment and keeping my cool is what I learned once I started biking and I am sure that I actually raised my life expectancy by biking rather than driving the way I did before...

Take it easy mate, but take it, is my advice.[/quote]
Can not agree with you on this. It does not matter how well you can ride and a lot of the time your safety is in the hands of other road users. Unless you live in a world where no other vehicles use the same roads as you, you will always be at the mercy of other road users. Sure you can plan ahead while riding but you can not plan the car/truck that pulls into your path and you are going to get hurt a lot more on a bike than in a cage.
I do believe that riding has made me a better driver too but am under no illusion that just because i can ride well i should not get hurt.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Utter claptrap. I'm not "at the mercy" of anybody when I'm on the road except myself
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

qed wrote:Utter claptrap. I'm not "at the mercy" of anybody when I'm on the road except myself
You can not control what others do simple
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TC3 wrote:
qed wrote:Utter claptrap. I'm not "at the mercy" of anybody when I'm on the road except myself
You can not control what others do simple
Who said I could?

Boy can you extrapolate

I'm deeply uncomfortable with the victim mentality, but each to their own.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

In a collision if you are on a motorbike the risk of serious injury or death is massively increased.
This is an inescapable fact.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong