How much did you guys pay?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

JetFalcon

How much did you guys pay?

Post by JetFalcon »

So this will be my first time buying an automobile (motorcycle) with my own money and I have no idea how this differs from say purchasing a snowboard setup for $500. Because there's licensing and paperwork.

So how much did you guys pay for your Honda PXC 150? The dealer I went to said it will be in the $5000 range out the door because of dealer fees and set up costs. I want to pay at the $3449 MSRP or close to that for a new one, hopefully just under $4000 for a Honda PCX. But since it's new I don't know how much room I have for negotiation. I just dont feel like forking over $5000+ for a small scooter that I may eventually want to trade in for a bigger bike since many people get bored of 250cc after some time. Just hope a 150cc can count as a training bike that will prepare me for a bigger bike in the future and have a decent trade in value.

But I am also considering a Honda Reflex since it's a similar bike with a 250cc motor. But guess they discontinued it and the only option is buying it used. Looked on CL and cycle trader and I can only find one in Los Angeles and it's priced at $3299, but the guy said it will be $3600 out the door. He claimed he checked Kelly Blue Book and said I was getting a good deal, but when I checked myself it says suggested retail is $2305. Is it possible to use that information to request paying the KBB price. I don't want to be a jerk and call him to be a liar, but I just want to point out the fact that he over priced it considering he suggested to have priced it similar to KBB price.

http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2006 ... -106928897
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycles/honda/ns ... me=scooter

Any stories about your purchases will be appreciated and I hope to be riding soon.
JetFalcon

Re: How much did you guys pay?

Post by JetFalcon »

sorry for the double post, guess some kind of glitch. Trying to find remove topic button but can't find it.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Are you in the USA? You might find this helpful: http://www.clubpcx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=945

I will reiterate what i said on the other forum...

If you get on the honda website and do a dealer search and just starting calling them one by one, you will find one that doesn't charge those extra fees. I actually found a couple. Just gotta make the effort. I think i called 25-30 dealers in just a couple hours. I paid $3528 out the door (3449 retail +79 admin fee), standard warranty only, with 60 days to purchase optional 5-year extended warranty for an additional $300.
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I paid $3449, plus Indiana sales tax, plus $25 title fee. No dealer charges or set up fees or anything like that. Before I bought my PCX I test drove a Honda Helix and tried out but did not drive a Reflex. Both of those bikes seemed way too big for me. The asking price for the Helix was $1700 and the Reflex was $1900, but I can't remember the year of either one. Another nearby dealer was asking $3999 for the PCX 150, which is over list price, and several other dealers didn't even have a PCX in stock but said they could order it for me.
philvb
Regular User
Regular User

Post by philvb »

I paid the MSRP of $3,449 for the scooter itself. I also bought a helmet at the same time ($106.25), as well has getting the additional 4 year extended warranty ($600). With tax ($252.20), document ($48) and title fees ($14), it came to a total of $4,469.45. I also have a standing offer of 15% off any accessories, forever. Could I have finagled a bit to get the starting price of the scooter lower, probably. I mean, we're talking Idaho, not a hot bed of scooter activity. I bet the salesman thought he would have the PCX 150 on his hands for a while. Regardless, I love my scooter, and am very happy with my purchase. I will say that I am more educated now (thanks in part to this forum), and will do far more negotiating the next time.

Hope you find success in your scooter search and purchase!
JetFalcon

Post by JetFalcon »

Indyglow wrote:I paid $3449, plus Indiana sales tax, plus $25 title fee. No dealer charges or set up fees or anything like that. Before I bought my PCX I test drove a Honda Helix and tried out but did not drive a Reflex. Both of those bikes seemed way too big for me. The asking price for the Helix was $1700 and the Reflex was $1900, but I can't remember the year of either one. Another nearby dealer was asking $3999 for the PCX 150, which is over list price, and several other dealers didn't even have a PCX in stock but said they could order it for me.
Oh nice, well I am highly considering a Honda Reflex 2006 with an OTD of $2600. They were wanting $3200, but I insisted on paying their asking price of $2500 as Kelly Blue Book stated this bike is at $2300, so they ended up at $2600. Not exactly at my wanted price, but close enough and it's OTD with no more fees so thoughts? I went on Yelp and people say they're honest and gave them 4-5 star reviews while many other dealerships are littered with angry 1-2 star reviews.

Well, sounds pretty good to get a 250cc bike from a dealer at less than $3000 for my first bike.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

If its in good condition and lowish mileage the Reflex makes more sense. Cheaper and you can keep it longer as will be better for distance riding on faster roads I would think.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Only problem is that you woulnt be able to get Duran Duran songs out of your head every time you see it in the garage
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Just to add I think the Reflex has combined ABS which I find works very well on my NC700. The size of the scooter compared to the pcx will give you more road presence too I imagine.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Far better machine than a PCX.
Its a no-brainer really.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Far better machine than a PCX.
Its a no-brainer really.

Clearly if you are riding a pcx :lol:
Mitch Detailed
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mitch Detailed »

qed wrote:
Its a no-brainer really.

:boom HEADSHOT: lol
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

qed wrote:
Its a no-brainer really.

But the "better machine" has never been offered for sale in this country :roll:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
JetFalcon

Post by JetFalcon »

TC3 wrote:If its in good condition and lowish mileage the Reflex makes more sense. Cheaper and you can keep it longer as will be better for distance riding on faster roads I would think.
Well I looked at it and it had about 3500 miles. But it definitely looked old like someone left it outside because the seat is scuffed and has dirty marks on it. And there is a scratch like inside the back behind the sissy bar handles. I don't know if cosmetics count anything towards good condition. The guy still wants $2600 but KBB says $2300 in good condition. It's more in okay condition because it looks like something out of a garage sale. I just wondering if $2600 is about right to pay for an old bike. I'm in no hurry to get it and since my parents lied to me about allowing me to have the scooter, I might as well go for the cooler ninja 250 I originally wanted which will also be easier to find.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I wouldn't pay $2600 for a scuffed up Reflex here -- I just helped a friend buy a Reflex about 6 months ago with under 2000 miles, in great cosmetic shape (no real noticable scratches or nicks) for $1800. It was a private sale though, but regardless...

I paid just under $4000 for my PCX 125 new out the door in May 2011.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

My first bike was a Reflex -- they're decent bikes. My engine blew up at around 14k miles, but I had neglected the maintenance, exceeded the weight limit regularly, and had tweaked the gearing for a much higher top speed by adding a much larger back tire.

I'd look into private sales instead of at a dealership for a used bike.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes