Parking - Should center stand/parking brake always be used?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Parking - Should center stand/parking brake always be used?

Post by romnation »

Should the center stand and parking brake always be used when parallel parking between cars? What provides the most stability for preventing the bike from being knocked over.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Parking - Should center stand/parking brake always be us

Post by Jge64 »

The center stand.......most stable....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Medicpcx
Year: 2018
Color: Grey

Post by Medicpcx »

Always use centre stand strongest, safest and uses the least room. Side stand should only be used very briefly only for example whilst shutting garage or gate behind you.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

For the early models (2011, 2012?), only use the center stand if you absolutely must as there was a design defect in the mount. There is a weak spot and using the center stand could cause the motor block to crack. There are other references to this on the forum.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by JustPassinThru »

kramnala58 wrote:For the early models (2011, 2012?), only use the center stand if you absolutely must as there was a design defect in the mount. There is a weak spot and using the center stand could cause the motor block to crack. There are other references to this on the forum.
I think that was only in cases of high weights being put on the machine and jostled about, i.e. a midsized American rider. Since the problem was noted here, first, I'm guessing they had few problems with lighter, smaller Asian users climbing aboard.

Or that they didn't do that. I know I never have. Even on conventional motorcycles with tailboxes, I'll take it off the center stand, put it on the side stand and throw a leg over. And NEVER put full weight on it until it's taken OFF the stand, by bringing it full upright.

I remember test-riding a BMW R1200GT that I later bought, ten years ago. The salesman, an older guy who was GM/owner of the small dealership, advised me to climb on while the big, heavy, tall bike was on the centerstand. I did, and did NOT like how the assembly flexed under the combined weight of 800-plus pounds.

On the PCX, I start it on the center stand, let it warm up for about a minute, push it off, and then, holding the bars, put one leg through and get rolling.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Depends on the ground.
Slope and surface play a big part in determining how best to park.
Level ground, centre stand is better
Slope, side stand is usually better uness the scooter can be parked fully nose uphill with no sideways lean.
Always make sure the side stand is on the downhill side and if the slope is steep park at an angle nose uphill.
If its very steep use a chock or kerb or parking brake.
NEVER park nose downhill on either stand.
Loose or soft surface sidestand is usually better but use a puck under the foot to spread the load.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

BUT surely if you use the center stand the parking brake is redundant since the rear wheel is off the ground, jus sayin
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

The parking brake is very useful if you decide to use the side stand in very windy conditions or if you think it could get bumped into by a passerby if parked in an area with a lot of pedestrian traffic. ;)
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:Depends on the ground.
Slope and surface play a big part in determining how best to park.
Level ground, centre stand is better
Slope, side stand is usually better uness the scooter can be parked fully nose uphill with no sideways lean.
Always make sure the side stand is on the downhill side and if the slope is steep park at an angle nose uphill.
If its very steep use a chock or kerb or parking brake.
NEVER park nose downhill on either stand.
Loose or soft surface sidestand is usually better but use a puck under the foot to spread the load.
X2
romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by romnation »

Is there a reason that center stand should be used over side stand on this scooter in particular? Most of the stuff I read on other motorcycle/scooter forums, the general consensus seems to be to use the side stand.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I always put my scooter on the center stand when I'm going to start it from cold. Sometimes the rear wheel turns a bit on scooters when the revs are higher as they warm up from cold starts. Once they idle down they don't tend to spin so much.

Half the time I use the side stand and half the time I use the center stand when I park it. It depends on ground surface conditions and whether or not I'm going to get back on it soon or not.

That said on a warm start. . .or if I just got off the scoot for a few minutes and got back on. . .I would start the scooter sitting on it with the side stand up. Then twist and go. . ..

Some scooters will run with the side stand down but not a good idea. If the revs are too high the clutch will engage and the scoot will go down resulting in broken turn signals, levers, panels, and other uglyness. The PCX has a switch in the side stand to cut out the motor when it's in the down position which is a good thing. :geek:
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by JustPassinThru »

romnation wrote:Is there a reason that center stand should be used over side stand on this scooter in particular? Most of the stuff I read on other motorcycle/scooter forums, the general consensus seems to be to use the side stand.
Scooters in general. On a conventional motorcycle, you can park it in gear and it won't roll off the side stand. Of course it's relatively easy to tip over; but that's another issue. The side stand offers easy dismounting and parking - and with most modern bikes, it's the only choice, since most makers don't offer a centerstand on most models.

On a scooter the rear wheel freewheels. Yes, there's the brake; but unless you test it every time you're not going to be sure.

Also, a tip-over onto all that plastic, is going to be more expensive.
hikari2763
Color: Red

Post by hikari2763 »

Honestly I rarely use the parking brake with the kickstand as I only use it when I am getting off and back on relatively quickly on flat ground, so it just doesn't get used much.

Most of the time, I am using the center stand with the steering lock without the parking brake. It takes up less space, doesn't take up any more time, your rear wheel isn't touching the ground to roll and the steering lock prevents someone from just rolling the thing away, if they are gonna steal it they are gonna need two guys and a truck at least.

The bike is so short that the kickstand isn't really needed for getting on and off, and the bike is super light so putting it on the center stand takes no effort. I don't really get why they even included a kickstand but, I might be missing something I suppose.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

hikari2763 wrote:I don't really get why they even included a kickstand but, I might be missing something I suppose.
Generally increases parking options and makes for more stable parking on a slope.

And on the PCX, it gives you something to use when the centre stand mounts break off.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

gn2 wrote:

And on the PCX, it gives you something to use when the centre stand mounts break off.
:D