Moisture inside the visor of my new helmet

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Moisture inside the visor of my new helmet

Post by gse123 »

I recently upgraded from my cheap Box Helmet to an HJC FS-11: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... prod/76047

It is a fantastic comfortable fit, is very quiet once the visor is closed, is pinlock ready, and had an internal drop down sun visor built in. Exactly what I was looking for in a helmet!

The only thing I have noticed is that even when the visor is completely and firmly shut, when it starts to rain, some moisture seems to gather on the inside of the visor... only a certain amount though (enough for it to be a bit annoying and make vision a tad blurry even when the outside of the visor is wiped dry). It does this even when all the vents etc are closed.

Anyone else had this happen? I didn't notice it on my cheap 50 quid box helmet, so am a bit disappointed to find it happen on this. I have fired off an email to them, but haven't heard back yet.
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Moisture inside the visor of my new helmet

Post by JGC »

This sounds normal to me, if you invest in the pin;ock system that will help.
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

I have a pinlock insert for it, but don't current use it at the moment due to the factory treated anti fog coating on the visor being so good. I will try out the pinlock insert next week and see if that helps with the moisture issue. Thanks!
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

the pinlock should solve the problem as long as you get a good seal. if you dont have a pinlock you need to leave a crack open in the visor and not completely close it when riding in rainy conditions.
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

It happens weather I leave the visor open a bit or not unfortunately. Just to be clear - I'm not talking about it fogging up.... literally droplets of rain gathering on the inside.

I will re-try the pinlock insert though.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

for rain riding it is very important to keep your visor clean. this is why good helmets make it easy to remove the visor. wash it with a soft sponge and dish soap to get the road grime off.

not sure why you are getting water inside the helmet if it is just cracked a bit?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

hoax or sweaty b@stard?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Nice Hat! :P So, when it rains, droplets are running down the interior of your face shield. Did you inspect the inside of the helmet closely? Tight seals? Are the upper front vents okay? Cracks? Is there any chance the helmet or shield is warped? Me,....I'd call the shop, see what they say. It is new, right? Good luck with this mystery leak ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

I'm wondering about the vents too now.
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

Quick update on the above. Tried with the vents open and closed - doesn't make any difference. Unfortunately i'd ordered the wrong pinlock insert so cannot try that... however it is definitely not right. On the way to work this morning it happened again - so much moisture on the inside of the visor that then froze, leaving me with about 10% visibility. I had to ride half way to work with the visor completely up, which is not much fun in this weather.

Upon closer inspection, it does look like there isn't a very good fit where the visor meets the helmet, as if either the visor itself is slightly distorted, or the helmet is. I have contacted the supplier and asked for a refund / replacement.

In the mean time, I'll go back to my cheapie Box helmet, which apart from being basic, doesn't share the same problems!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good! Glad to hear it :P Hope the replacement lid arrives quickly (before your nose freezes and tearing eyes turn icy ;)
Please share....what is a box helmet? 3/4 fit?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

WhiteNoise wrote:Good! Glad to hear it :P Hope the replacement lid arrives quickly (before your nose freezes and tearing eyes turn icy ;)
Please share....what is a box helmet? 3/4 fit?
Box is a UK helmet manufacturer :) ... this is the one I got with my Bike: http://www.lidsdirect.co.uk/box-bx-1-we ... -1235.html
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Any feedback on the "universal" pinlocks?. I read they are the option for those of us who do not have a pinlock ready helmet.