New Guy

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Riley24
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

New Guy

Post by Riley24 »

Hi everyone I recently purchased a 2014 Forza 300, I'm 50 and haven't been on a bike in many years, I'm finding it very easy to handle this scooter and I am very pleased with my purchase. I live in TN so I have to have the M endorsement in order to operate my bike on city streets. My question has anyone had any trouble getting that endorsement?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Re: New Guy

Post by davenowherejones »

I got my license in 1982 and no one has ever asked if I still know how to ride a motorcycle at 59 years old. All I had to do is ride around 6 cones and stop without falling over. That was it.

Actually the RCMP did ask a few dumb questions and the answer cost me $171 a few years ago.
Riley24
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Riley24 »

Thanks for your reply, I think I will go to the DMV in a few weeks to get that endorsement.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I suspect the test is a lot harder now. Check your state rules.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

Worst case, take the MSF class.. it's an automatic M endorsement here in CO- check your state's rules
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

In Massachusetts, the MSF course is not the worst case by any means. $250 or so and you get a refresher (or, for me, an immersion in two-wheeled travel, since I had never been on a motorcycle before), and the endorsement. Trying to get it from a registry is really hard, since so few of them do the test and appointments are booked out months.

FWIW,I would just take the course and git 'er done.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I live in Georgia. I have moved all over the United States and have been riding for over 50 years. When I moved to Georgia from Alabama my motorcycle endorsement was somehow dropped on the license transfer. I tried to go back in and tell them, but it was like talking to a wall. I ended up just taking the tests over and paying the fees. It was easier than waiting in line for an hour, again, and trying to have them check with the Alabama DMV to see that it was on my license there.

In any case, the written test was simple enough. There is a booklet you can study before taking the written test. It also tells you what to expect in the driving test. You have 30 days to practice.

Find one of their test sites that is open to the public after they have closed for the day/weekend, and practice. It is hard at first, but gets easier with practice.

My wife had to get hers as well, so I would show her how it was done before she would try it. Needless to say, we both passed, and she had not ridden since she was a young teen. Practice. That is the key.

If you REALLY want it to be easy, borrow someone's PCX to do the test on. That scooter is just plain EASY to operate. Turning through the cones is unbelievably easy. I got on hers to show her how and was really surprised.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

im taking my test august30 with my PCX at the DMV i tried the MSF course the bikes were bigger and harder to handle then the PCX i was told it was an automatic pass but i flunked i guess it depends who you get for your instructor
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi Riley! Welcome to our forum(s) and congrats on getting a Forza!! :P Woot! I Bet you're excited and raring to roll but wait...

Let's first set you up here on the forum(s). From your above post we read you're in Tennessee. We will Not however know that in future as you start threads and post to other threads.
The Fix is Simple, go back to the User Control Panel and enter Tennessee right now. Easy directions are below my post (or any of my posts).

As far as obtaining your M endorsement? Not really sure what you mean by "has anyone had any trouble getting that endorsement?" But I'll answer this way, I didn't. I simply did what my State required me to do. My advice is to get the info "right from the horse's mouth" - from the Motor Vehicle Dept in Tennessee.
And Do it soon so You "Can Ride Like The Wind" :P

Here's a Southern test site
https://driving-tests.org/tennessee/ten ... tice-test/
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OK I passed the Tennessee test so can I ride in Canada?
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

If you REALLY want it to be easy, borrow someone's PCX to do the test on.

Just who will borrow-lend you one?
Used to call them 'OP's'--Other people.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

davenowherejones wrote:OK I passed the Tennessee test so can I ride in Canada?
Hope so.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Actually I am surprised that one license covers the whole USA with all of the state variations in laws. Canada is just as bad. I bet there are things I can do in BC that would get me jail time in Quebec.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

big bear wrote:im taking my test august30 with my PCX at the DMV i tried the MSF course the bikes were bigger and harder to handle then the PCX i was told it was an automatic pass but i flunked i guess it depends who you get for your instructor
Yes, it is possible to flunk the course. They're doing you a favor.
You needed to demonstrate that you would be safe out there.
Apparently, you did not.
Two ladies in my class failed...and after watching them for two days...it was good that they did.
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:
big bear wrote:im taking my test august30 with my PCX at the DMV i tried the MSF course the bikes were bigger and harder to handle then the PCX i was told it was an automatic pass but i flunked i guess it depends who you get for your instructor
Yes, it is possible to flunk the course. They're doing you a favor.
You needed to demonstrate that you would be safe out there.
Apparently, you did not.
Two ladies in my class failed...and after watching them for two days...it was good that they did.
Fish

I took my bike test in black and white....
BRed
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2023 XMax 300
Color: Grey and black

Post by BRed »

In some states you aren't allowed to use an automatic transmission to pass the motorcycle rider certification part of the test.
So it was here in NC when I passed the rider test.

If that's the case you may need to borrow a manual bike or use a local rental to pass the test (preferably a smallish one?)

here again, the MSF course solves all the logistics and you also learn to use a clutch!! (for future reference?) :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:I took my bike test in black and white....
Mine was olive green, DPM and dayglo yellow.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

i know in some states you would get a restriction to automatic trasmission bike only but as far as i know my state pennsylvania has no such restriction i would not care though as im only intrested in riding scooters
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
you you wrote:I took my bike test in black and white....
Mine was olive green, DPM and dayglo yellow.

Conflicted you were.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

One elderly gentleman I work with has to take the 80 year old test soon. He should fail.

I decided to try a sample written/computer test for our area in BC, Canada. I got my license at 16, now 59, a lot has changed in 43 years. I failed the test by one question. I will try the test again.