It's official

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

It's official

Post by gn2 »

Winter is here and that's an official fact.
Last night it was just above freezing on the way home so today I wimped out and put the thermal liners back in my riding suit. :oops:
Then the temperature shot up to 1.4°C for my ride home tonight.
Toasty.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: It's official

Post by Taz »

We are opposite, 34 degrees C at moment. I got a new air mesh jacket with holes in it. Looking forward to a twilight sail in a couple of hours as cooler on the water!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

It may be fall here but it's Not when the temp has dropped to 28 degrees F last week! The aftermath of "Perfect Storm Sandy" has been enough to deal with, now the ice age cometh! :( Gear up warm, layer those clothes folks!
(I'll be burning marshmallows, drinkin' hot chocolate, cruising the forum and texting Santa :D he's next on the agenda
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

Its not winter in the uk till December 21, god knows how bad its going to be then :|
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

i think its going to very bad in the UK this year.

Today is the first time there was frost on my car and the whole neighbourhood.

also my usual ride to work today, my fingers were frozen and started hurting, need to decide if i should get new gloves, heated grips or bar muffs :(
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Took the bike out for a short run yesterday ~25 miles. It was down to about three degrees here and my hands were frozen when I set off. I went for a run down to the riverside.

Was testing my new heated gloves. Gerbing G3's and was proper toasty, infact for the return leg of the journey I had to drop the power down to thema little as they were too warm. So a big thumbs up from me :)
gse123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by gse123 »

I went to a friends house last night at 7.00pm. Was inside his house for about an hour having a coffee and a quick catchup, and went back outside to be greeted with a thick layer of ice on the pcx seat, that I had to scrape off with my glove!

My fingers were so cold on the way back, I thought thtat I need to invest in some warmer gloves as an absolute priority, as my fingers were getting so numb I was struggling with finger dexterity (i.e. I accidentally hit the horn instead of the high beam)
brains_t
Regular User
Regular User

Post by brains_t »

gse123 wrote:I went to a friends house last night at 7.00pm. Was inside his house for about an hour having a coffee and a quick catchup, and went back outside to be greeted with a thick layer of ice on the pcx seat, that I had to scrape off with my glove!

I read somewhere that frozen seats can split and it is recommended that you dampen and thaw out the seat before you sit on it.

Views from the experienced?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

It's official

Post by Alibally »

Don't know about seats but plastic soft top windows can. Knew I guy that cracked his window on a week old Porsche boxter. #raging
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

[quote="Trawlerman"]
Gerbing G3's and was proper toastyquote]

Tell me more!

I have about £100 ish to spend on new gloves, looked at the Alpinestar Polar but i think heated gloves is probably best so how does the lead connect?

Do you have a wire from your gloves loosly running to under your seat?
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

I have the Tech7 winter gloves, very toasty and protective, great value for money, too. You will loose some feeling as with any winter glove but still prefer that than to loose all feeling due to the cold...
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

quite cheap the tech 7 but seems out of stock.

got frozen finger tips today, will only get worst so need some new gloves as mine arent as breathable anymore :cry:
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

It's winter here too. It was 34 degrees F, 1 degree C during my ride in this morning.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Ishida

Post by Ishida »

Here it's the same as Australia, too hot for a week (around 35~40C) and now that the weekend came it's raining and flooding everywhere bit still not under 25~30C... :oops:
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

What do you call a sunny day that follows 2 days of solid rain? Monday ;)
Ishida

Post by Ishida »

Taz wrote:What do you call a sunny day that follows 2 days of solid rain? Monday ;)
True 8)
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Cracksta wrote:
Trawlerman wrote: Gerbing G3's and was proper toastyquote]
Tell me more!
I have about £100 ish to spend on new gloves, looked at the Alpinestar Polar but i think heated gloves is probably best so how does the lead connect?
Do you have a wire from your gloves loosly running to under your seat?

That's it pretty much. I got a cable about 18" that I wired into my battery and ran out under the nose of the seat. There is another set of cable that run down each arm to the gloves themselves. The power from the battery goes into a small junction box with a button that turns them on/off and each press gives 100/75/50/25% etc with an LED to show what setting.

It sound like a lot of wires but it isn't really as you thread the main set from junction box to the gloves through your jacket and leave them there.

I just did a 100 mile round-trip from Hull-Scarborough-Bridlington-Hull and never once did feel at all cold. I've tried alsorts of gloves and also keep a pair of Dainese Guanto Scout winter gloves under my seat yet nothing comes close for overall comfort.

The only complaint? No armour at the knuckles but they do have a pair with this feature but they cost more.

As far as I'm concerned they are a great buy.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Trawlerman wrote:The only complaint? No armour at the knuckles
Nine times out of ten your hand will contact the ground palm side down.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

True. It's a natural reaction
Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

gn2 wrote:
Trawlerman wrote:The only complaint? No armour at the knuckles
Nine times out of ten your hand will contact the ground palm side down.
Hence why I'm not unduly worried about not having knuckle armour. My regular gloves have decent coverage of leather on the palm and those Scaphoid protection doo-dah's too.

No matter how much armour you wear it'll never be enough or nearly quite good enough. Marco Simoncelli was wearing the best and look what happened to him.